testtest

Hellcat jamming and excessive wear help

DaleOC

Alpha
I've had a Hellcat RDP for just over a year and have had some persistent issues.

- Occasionally the gun will not fire - the firing pin becomes sticky. To address this I strip the gun and clean it. This happens if I don't clean the gun immediately after returning from the range, and can happen with as few as 50 rounds.

- The gun jams pretty frequently too (photo attached.

- I've also noticed excessive debris inside the gun around the slide and trigger housing.

- After the gun jammed at the range and I field stripped it, the range officer pointed out excessive wearing in the slide (photos attached)

I thought the above issues could have been caused by ammunition but I have changed brands and the problems persists. I now think that the issues could all be related to the excessive wear like the debris etc and stickiness with the firing pin.

I've switched ammo and tried lubricating it more and less but nothing seems to help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have put 1000 -1200 rounds through it.

Attachments

• Jam.jpg
    Jam.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 963
  • Excessive Wear .jpg
    Excessive Wear .jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 908
  • Wear Bottom.jpg
    Wear Bottom.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 929
If it were me, I’d do one of two things to keep the frustration level at a minimum:

If you have a local gunsmith that you trust, take it in and have him/her take look and tell you what he/she thinks.

OR

Contact Springfield Armory Customer Service, your gun should be under warranty.

Judging just by the pictures and your description of the problem my first thought would be that the slide is defective (not machined to tolerance), but I would just document the issues in as much detail as possible and then get it into the hands of a qualified GS or the manufacturer. Save yourself the frustration and if that’s a gun you carry the risk of it not working when you need it most.

Hope that helps.

I've had a Hellcat RDP for just over a year and have had some persistent issues.

- Occasionally the gun will not fire - the firing pin becomes sticky. To address this I strip the gun and clean it. This happens if I don't clean the gun immediately after returning from the range, and can happen with as few as 50 rounds.

- The gun jams pretty frequently too (photo attached.

- I've also noticed excessive debris inside the gun around the slide and trigger housing.

- After the gun jammed at the range and I field stripped it, the range officer pointed out excessive wearing in the slide (photos attached)

I thought the above issues could have been caused by ammunition but I have changed brands and the problems persists. I now think that the issues could all be related to the excessive wear like the debris etc and stickiness with the firing pin.

I've switched ammo and tried lubricating it more and less but nothing seems to help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have put 1000 -1200 rounds through it.
Have you ever contacted SA about the jamming issue? If not give them a call and maybe have your gun inspected by them.
As far as the pictures showing wear, sorry but I don’t see it although the pictures are not great.

Call Springfield Armory.

(800) 680-6866

I would start by stripping the slide (Removing the striker and the extractor with its associated parts.) Be careful, they are under spring tension. Disassemble inside a large clear plastic bag in case parts launch. Give everything a good cleaning and re lube per operation manual guidelines. Both the problems you describe (feeding and not firing) could be caused by fouling buildup in the striker and extractor spring channels. A sticky extractor is often to blame in feeding problems. Don’t use any oil on these parts during reassembly.

As far as excessive wear goes, your pics look odd. Nothing should be touching the slide where you circled. Same for the spot on top of the rear rail. It makes me wonder if a piece of debris got inside your pistol and ground its way through the gun with slide reciprocation. If this is the case I don’t think it did any serious damage. Only cosmetic.

Back