testtest

Hellcat OSP Optic choices

I have the Shield SMSc on my Hellcat. And have had no problems with it. It is the less expensive Shield and the only thing is the self adjusting brightness of the red dot. Sometimes because of the lighting conditions the red dot can be not bright enough for the eye to pick up quickly. Thankfully it co-witnesses the iron sights.

For those who haven't purchased the Hellcat yet but want the red dot, I bought mine with the Shield factory installed and saved a bunch. I paid $650 with the Shield installed. I couldn't buy any other sight for the difference it cost over the standard OSP without the red dot.

For those who haven't purchased the Hellcat yet but want the red dot, I bought mine with the Shield factory installed and saved a bunch. I paid $650 with the Shield installed. I couldn't buy any other sight for the difference it cost over the standard OSP without the red dot.
Wow! That's a he!! of a savings. IIRC I paid about $560+- for the pistol, then after waiting for a couple months was able to buy the SMSc sight for another $199 I think (might have been $299), just don't remember for sure.

The sight wasn't even available when I bought the Hellcat, but I knew the gun was going to sell pretty fast and I didn't want to have to wait for that too, so I bought it as soon as it was available to me. So far no complaints. However, I've not had opportunity to shoot as many/much as I'd like to before I start carrying it. Only a couple hundred rnds as of now, but with zero issues.

This is not a complaint by any means on the price I paid, I got what I wanted. Just commenting what a deal you got.

regards,
jumpinjoe

Wow! That's a he!! of a savings. IIRC I paid about $560+- for the pistol, then after waiting for a couple months was able to buy the SMSc sight for another $199 I think (might have been $299), just don't remember for sure.

The sight wasn't even available when I bought the Hellcat, but I knew the gun was going to sell pretty fast and I didn't want to have to wait for that too, so I bought it as soon as it was available to me. So far no complaints. However, I've not had opportunity to shoot as many/much as I'd like to before I start carrying it. Only a couple hundred rnds as of now, but with zero issues.

This is not a complaint by any means on the price I paid, I got what I wanted. Just commenting what a deal you got.

regards,
jumpinjoe
That is what I thought. I had been watching for quite a while just looking for one on the shelf so when I found this one with the Shield already on it I couldn't pass it by for that price. I don't get the good deal most of the time it seems but this time I scored!

You can compare them on Optics Planet. I just looked at the JP. It has a 65 MOA Circle, with a 1 MOA dot in the center. Thats a deal breaker for me. If it was just a 1 MOA dot, I would buy right now. The Romeo Zero has a 3MOA Dot, the Shield has a 4MOA, do not want to go any bigger than 4, just my preference.
Not all J-Points are set up like that. I have 2, one with a 4 and one with an 8MOA dot. The 8 is a bit faster, the 4 is a bit more precise.

I was a sort-of early adopter of the RDS concept on pistols. I've had a J-Point on a Glock 26 (milled by L&M Precision) since 2011. Sure it's more fragile than the Holosun or RMR, but mine has been daily carried and shot in many multi-day courses without any issue. It's usually carried concealed and I don't use the sight to charge the gun off a brick wall or sail it across the range.

I wouldn't hesitate to put another J on a gun next time I do a conversion.

images.jpeg

106624608_10223667421568983_8315935393375424656_o.jpg

I have a Sig RZ on my Hellcat and I love the use of the sight but keep this in mind. (Besides shortening the mounting screws that come with it). The Romeo Zero has a plastic body. The Romeo Zero also uses a polymer "glass" so to speak. Isopropanol or rubbing alcohol, (75% isopropanol), with a "quality" Qtip and canned air for cleaning is a requirement. Otherwise, you'll scratch the polymer surface. Any Red Dot sight needs a lot of cleaning with lint from EDC and after range use. I also can't imagine how the sight would hold up to a direct drop. The price is tremendous but the price is reflected in the polymer body and optic screen they used. I think the RZ is too fragile and will look at the Swamp Fox offering when/if the RZ goes south. Otherwise, I have well north of 500 rounds through the Hellcat with the optic mounted and it works flawlessly.

I put a RZ on the other day. Actually just bought the Hellcat a week ago. It's working pretty nice but I have the Holosun 507K in order and I'll use the RZ till that comes in. I'll save the RZ as a backup or maybe give it to my Son. Honestly it's the red dot that helps a tremendous amount to actually see with a gun. My eyes are not what they used to be and it's easier to just see the target

I've never known my JPoint to need anything other than an occasional wipe to clean it, but it is under a shirt all day.

On my gun anyway, the idea that powder and other residue (or nicks from ejected brass) collects on the sight has largely been unfounded

"On my gun anyway, the idea that powder and other residue (or nicks from ejected brass) collects on the sight has largely been unfounded".

Its founded. It isn't an issue at all if you just look at the dot on a pull up in day light or artificial light. But if I hold my sight up against a bright background or look through it in darkness, I see the haze of very light lint and after shooting, a speckled pattern that creates a haze. I've never had brass come back and hit any red dot I have used. Rifle or Pistol. I clean mine once a week or right after a range session. It isn't the cleaning that is a PITA. Glass needs cleaned also. It is the care needed to clean it to prevent harm to the film on that polymer lens. Not doubting what you see. I know what I see though.

Has anyone actually mounted a Holosun 507k yet and have pictures and info on the milling etc?

I bought the Hellcat on the 4th with the Romeo Zero to celebrate my Freedom and at that time, couldn't even find any 9mm ammo and had to wait a week for the sight to get sent. After reading this thread, I couldn't find proper screw lengths and considered selling it, since I had a chance on the Holosum 507k on Saturday. At the time, I didn't realize the 507k needed milling, but I like it better due to the Red Dot and Outer Circle.

I ended up finally taking the RZ to get mounted at the gunsmith (so I didn't file too much off the screws) today, but wondering if I should have gotten the Holosun instead....the Gunsmith didn't have Hellcat programming to mill the slide though. I have searched everywhere and cannot find a Hellcat with the Holosun mounted or anyone who has ACTUALLY done it...anyone have pics/info?

Thanks in Advance!

~ERock1313~

I read the Holoson 507k we have to mill our hellcats. Not sure I want to do that. I wonder where it don’t fit

From what I understand, the rear indexing lugs need to be removed and the front need to be shortened....but, I am not sure if that is heresay, as I have not seen one mounted. Supposedly it doesn't affect using other sights, but allows use of the Holosun, so I am anxious to see if anyone has actually mounted the 507k to verify and has pictures.

~ERock1313~

Okay pass this around. I contactEd Holosun On the 507k and our Hellcat. Maybe we can post on the forum somewhere. my question was can we use this on our Hellcats.

i got a answer in a 1/2 hour . Impressive

we have to do a little work.

here is the exact answer to this question

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Holosun

Attached is the K footprint, the hellcat needs the rear recoil lugs removed and front lugs filed down by a gunsmith.

Best regards

Damn you all for posting more tempting stuff...I JUST mounted my RZ (all I could get my hands on quickly) and was gearing up to take it to the range this weekend.

Back