testtest

hellcat pro slide locked closed with round in chamber

I have had my slide lock closed with a round in the chamber 3 times at the range. I drop the mag and cannot rack the slide to eject the live round. I have had to fire the round and the slide works. Does anyone have any ideas on the problem?

Check the headspace on the chamber? Check Chamber walls, are they smooth, no nicks or raised edges?

On the XD/M the slide will not rack if the grip safety is not pressed in, I don't know if the same is true with the Hellcat, but I would confirm it.

I had a bad snap cap when I got my XD-M Elite OSP, it got stuck in the chamber. I only exasperated the situation because I did not know the XD/M slide will be blocked by the locked sear if the striker is home and the grip safety is not in pressed in.

I would fire round off and break down the gun. If you are sure you put it back together correctly and nothing looks messed up lube rails and try again. If that doesn't fix it call Springfield. I guess i need to ask the question did you clean and lube this gun? Hope it didn't go from box to range.

Check the headspace on the chamber? Check Chamber walls, are they smooth, no nicks or raised edges?

On the XD/M the slide will not rack if the grip safety is not pressed in, I don't know if the same is true with the Hellcat, but I would confirm it.

I had a bad snap cap when I got my XD-M Elite OSP, it got stuck in the chamber. I only exasperated the situation because I did not know the XD/M slide will be blocked by the locked sear if the striker is home and the grip safety is not in pressed in.
The HellCat does not have a grip safety.

I would fire round off and break down the gun. If you are sure you put it back together correctly and nothing looks messed up lube rails and try again. If that doesn't fix it call Springfield. I guess i need to ask the question did you clean and lube this gun? Hope it didn't go from box to range.
Box to range needing lube prior, lol!

As well as checking headspace and chamber walls, inspect the brass that jammed after it is ejected. Look for signs of damage that could tell you what happened to make it jam in the chamber....

Broke it down before first range use and cleaned and lubed it after all 3 range sesions.

Try different ammo. It sounds like the bullet profile/c.o.l. of the ammo you are using is such that the bullet is engaging the rifling when fully chambered. Thus it is very difficult to extract a loaded round. I noticed my hellcat has a shorter chamber and I had to reduce the c.o.l. of my reloads or they wouldn't chamber. I've had other pistols do this before too. I bought a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G23 and it had the same issue. It would actually pull the bullet from a live round when trying to extract it.

If you want to extract the live round, grip the slide from above with your weak hand and then come from behind the gun with your strong hand and quickly push the grip forward thus racking the slide. Be mindful of where your trigger finger is when doing this. Be sure to keep it out of the trigger guard. You may want to put a thin leather glove on your weak hand. It may require quite a bit of effort. You really need to be quick and forceful with the your strong hand as you push/grab the grip of the gun.

You were dead on with ammo being the problem. I was able to clear the weapon using you technique. US cartridge was the ammo. I guess you get what you pay for 500 rounds in a bag. Thanks for your help.
Ammo in a bag eh? Reloads/reman ?

Lots of people here do it, but I have a strict rule. I do not shoot reloads or remanufactured ammo through semi automatics. I suppose it works fine for some of these guys, but both times I broke that rule it made me pay. Life is too short for that kind of dumbassery in my opinion.

Try Blazer Brass, PMC or Sellior and Bellot. HST for self defense ammo. See how those work. ;)

Ammo in a bag eh? Reloads/reman ?

Lots of people here do it, but I have a strict rule. I do not shoot reloads or remanufactured ammo through semi automatics. I suppose it works fine for some of these guys, but both times I broke that rule it made me pay. Life is too short for that kind of dumbassery in my opinion.

Try Blazer Brass, PMC or Sellior and Bellot. HST for self defense ammo. See how those work. ;)
Will do. To much bargain panic buying. That ammo shots fine in my M9a3 and S&W sheild 9 performance center for training.

Will do. To much bargain panic buying. That ammo shots fine in my M9a3 and S&W sheild 9 performance center for training.
I ramped up my bulk buying in the last 4 years too. I never bought any reloads though. Buy quality ammo, it's much easier in the long run. I will say I have shot 100s of thousands of rounds of Winchester White Box and I have a few cases of it still on hand ( all bought at least 4 years ago) and I have never in my life had any issues with it. Not a one. If you ask around here though most of these guys say it's garbage and pontificate about why the military would let Winchester run Lake City, as if that had anything to do with civilian lines of handgun ammunition produced by Winchester, mostly not in Lake City.

My son has a hellcat that has gotten stuck several times, with a round in the chamber, and will not move until it is discharged. Has anyone heard of a repair to fix this issue? It's not bargain ammo, clean and lubed, no visual damage seen when disassembled.

My son has a hellcat that has gotten stuck several times, with a round in the chamber, and will not move until it is discharged. Has anyone heard of a repair to fix this issue? It's not bargain ammo, clean and lubed, no visual damage seen when disassembled.
I'd recommend trying a different brand of ammo. Even though your not using bargain ammo it doesn't mean you didn't get a bad lot of ammo.

If all else fails call Springfield Armory customer service and they will get you back up and running.

1-800-680-6866

Back