testtest

Hex Wasp - Anyone’s randomly stop working?

Currently at day 26 on my replacement. So far still working. The last one went out close to 30 days give or take. Until it lasts at least one year I will not considered it fixed. Still a ways to go for that.

First...interesting....the latest replacement I just received is adjusting to the light conditions. The previous ones did not as far as I was able to determine. This one is obvious. Hopefully, that is a good sign that something is diferent.

I have a new problem. In taking off the plate to install the wasp (using the tool supplied with wasp) one of the plate screws head stripped. It was tight but should not have been over tightened as I had the plate off previously and the other screw was as expected. I only hand tighten with care when installing parts on guns.
The screw material had to be junk in order to strip like that with the little tool using only moderate hand pressure.

Now...I do not know of a method of getting that little screw out with a stripped head.

I cringe at the thought of shipping the slide back to Springfield and waiting a month or more to get it back.

Advice?

First...interesting....the latest replacement I just received is adjusting to the light conditions. The previous ones did not as far as I was able to determine. This one is obvious. Hopefully, that is a good sign that something is diferent.

I have a new problem. In taking off the plate to install the wasp (using the tool supplied with wasp) one of the plate screws head stripped. It was tight but should not have been over tightened as I had the plate off previously and the other screw was as expected. I only hand tighten with care when installing parts on guns.
The screw material had to be junk in order to strip like that with the little tool using only moderate hand pressure.

Now...I do not know of a method of getting that little screw out with a stripped head.

I cringe at the thought of shipping the slide back to Springfield and waiting a month or more to get it back.

Advice?
Yea, not cheap metal in the screws, those little rascals are noted to strip real easy, no matter which brand of red dot you have, actually there not supposed to be removed all that often, but when it’s a bad dot and you have to replace it, what you gonna do but take a chance with it. Try getting ahold of @xdman on here, he should be able to help you out.

Advice?
I'm not certain but I think the tool supplied with the Wasp is a hex key, but the screws attaching the cover to the Hellcat slide are Torx head screws. Best I remember they are a fit that feels right, but the hex key will invariably strip out the Torx head screws in most cases if the screws are tight.

They are a very close fit, and to the tired old eyes of some of us, they look the same. Double check and be sure you're using the correct tool.

I got lucky and found a local gun store that had a gunsmith on site. He sorted it out in about 5 minutes...no charge. Hope I will be able to return the courtesy with a purchase soon.
He did confirm that the screws are soft and that he is seeing this problem often.

He says 19 lbs max on the screws as if I had something to check the max torque on those tiny screws. ;)
I think the tool supplied is also torx...but as you say...these eyes could use some help.

I got lucky and found a local gun store that had a gunsmith on site. He sorted it out in about 5 minutes...no charge. Hope I will be able to return the courtesy with a purchase soon.
He did confirm that the screws are soft and that he is seeing this problem often.

He says 19 lbs max on the screws as if I had something to check the max torque on those tiny screws. ;)
I think the tool supplied is also torx...but as you say...these eyes could use some help.
Wheeler and other companies make torque drivers. Relatively cheap, extremely handy for mounting optics and other things with inch lb torque ratings. It's also money well spent to pick up a good set of hardened Torx drivers. The little torx bits are ok for some things but they are weak. I broke a crap ton of them before I just went and got a set of actual drivers.

Glad you got it… in the future, keep in mind sometimes it’s the tool and if you get a new sharp torx, sometimes you can get them…. If all else fails and your deseperate…. Clean them down with alcohol and brake cleaner… JB weld the tool into the head , clamp it and let it cure for 24-48 hours then crank it out. Of course you need a new screw and tool but better than being without for couple weeks. I just leave my plate off

My Wasp, bought on 10-22-21, killed the battery in less than 4 weeks. The new battery just died again. Less than 3 weeks use. I emailed SA three times...not answering calls that I have made. Will try to call again on Monday.
I'm having the same problem with my Wasp. Barely had the gun & sight for a few months now and already on my 3rd battery. I understand that this sight does not turn off all the way but I was getting frustrated with every time I pulled the gun out of the case and looked at the sight, it was out again. I ended up just taking the Wasp back off the gun and am using the open sights now. Not sure what to do about it, but I don't feel like changing a battery every time I want to use the gun. :sneaky:

I'm having the same problem with my Wasp. Barely had the gun & sight for a few months now and already on my 3rd battery. I understand that this sight does not turn off all the way but I was getting frustrated with every time I pulled the gun out of the case and looked at the sight, it was out again. I ended up just taking the Wasp back off the gun and am using the open sights now. Not sure what to do about it, but I don't feel like changing a battery every time I want to use the gun. :sneaky:
Yeah it’s frustrating. I had two identical sight marks and the one would last forever and the other one would drain the battery when it was off… but even that horrible gem lasted for 4 months… these things are amazing battery eaters…very proficient. They should rename it from the wasp to the moth…. It might last if you always keep it in the dark

Send it back to Springfield for a replacement.

Yeah it’s frustrating. I had two identical sight marks and the one would last forever and the other one would drain the battery when it was off… but even that horrible gem lasted for 4 months… these things are amazing battery eaters…very proficient. They should rename it from the wasp to the moth…. It might last if you always keep it in the dark
I hear ya. I do always keep it in the dark so that the brightness will be at its lowest level but it still drains the battery somehow. The other annoying thing, as you know, is that to change the battery, you have to remove the sight from the gun and that puts more wear & tear on those tiny little screws that I've read don't last long (stripping heads).

With all due respect.In my humble opinion.These optics should be pulled off the market "NOW" The idea of "well Im not expecting to have to need it right away.So I'll just cool my jets & see what happens.Don't wash.To think it's ok to ship these things back & forth three & four times is the definition of insanity.Amazon stopped selling them.They only sell the dragonfly.Optics planet has a "NO RETURN " for any reason policy.They are selling them with the osp for $699.Consumers are nuts if they accept this policy of.Oh I'll just keep sending it back until they straighten it out If you look,they are sold as "Springfield Armorys Hex Wasp". Time to get a handle on this guys
If this continues, anyone want to take bets on their next move. Here is my prophecy…. They won’t issue a recall, but you will get “ dear valued customer, we apologize for the issues you have experience with your hex wasp optic. We have been unable to rectify the issue with the manufacturer. As a result we will issue you a credit of $xxx on your NEXT purchase with SA. This credit will be applied in our store blah blah” At some point they will find that the constant replacement in man hours and postage will outweigh the margins they make on the $50 price target they are paying to hex… so the credit will allow them to still make margin and placate the customer even though it won’t. Most customers will just throw it in the trash and give up and they will bank on that

Back