testtest

Hogs come into the city..

We got boar O' plenty here just north of Austin. People are paying good money if you are willing to come on their land and hunt them. Recently, i've gotten the itch to start hunting. Wasn't really interested in it before, but with the rising costs of everything, I think I want to get a deep freezer and have it stocked with meat. I figure 1 deer should cover us, it's just me and the Fiancee.

I haven't the slightest idea where or how to begin though. Time to do some homework.

Hunting and shooting them is good sport and the meat of sows and young boars is good, but you can't shoot enough of them to control the population. Corral traps set to capture the entire sounder is the only effective way to put a dent in them and its a year round effort. The amount of damage they have done on my farm is maddening

Hunting and shooting them is good sport and the meat of sows and young boars is good, but you can't shoot enough of them to control the population. Corral traps set to capture the entire sounder is the only effective way to put a dent in them and its a year round effort. The amount of damage they have done on my farm is maddening
This is what the Missouri Dept. of Wildlife biologists say too. The discourage people from hunting them. They will come out and put up traps for you for free. Some enterprising folks make their own traps and some even lace them with tannerite. There's videos on YT.

Of course on your property you are free to dispatch them as you see fit, but...

Breaking news: soft suburbanites who decided to buy houses next to River Legacy Park which is renowned for its diverse collection of wild animals, gets scared by the diverse collection of wild animals.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

True story - I live in Arlington, home of River Legacy Park, btw - my wife and I arrive back in the cul-de-sac one day and find my neighbor sitting on the curb dressed in his best African safari gear, including a pith helmet and pole with a noose on it. As soon as we get out of the car he starts yelling “Your iguana got out. I’ve chased it into the tree. You need to be more careful it could take out a dog or even a small child”. Only problem was we didn’t own an iguana. I look up in my oak tree and sure enough about 15 feet up is the most beautiful, bright orange iguana. Crazy neighbor tells us how he tried to spray it out of the tree and how dangerous this could be to children. So, through a series of phone calls we manage to make a connection with a 911 operator whose husband happened to be a reptile rescue and rehab guy and was on his way. Rehab guy eventually shows up along with his 12 year-old daughter. Said daughter proceeds to go up the tree, as 12 year old kids do, very delicately grabs this 4 foot long, orange iguana, which gives her no agg whatsoever, and down she climbs with the iguana. We then all - minus the crazy neighbor - take turns getting our picture taken holding orange Godzilla. Rehab guy and daughter take off with the iguana and my wife and I got our pics with the iguana framed. About a month later the neighbor moved out of the cul-de-sac. He claimed his wife got a job in Plano and it was too far to commute, but I always suspect the shame of being humiliated by the 12 year old girl who didn’t get eaten by a very chill iguana was just too much.

Sodium nitrate is very effective at killing hogs but as of now it is not legal to use in Florida. Research is being done to develop a hog specific delivery system so other species don't get it
Poison can not even be considered due to many carrion eating species will be infected, many Raptors are carrion eaters and it has been documented that many have been found dead due to consuming poisoned animals.
Many on this forum hunt and many times have used the term “ethical”
Poison is NOT an ethical way.

Poison can not even be considered due to many carrion eating species will be infected, many Raptors are carrion eaters and it has been documented that many have been found dead due to consuming poisoned animals.
Many on this forum hunt and many times have used the term “ethical”
Poison is NOT an ethical way.
I agree that poison is not an option. Sodium nitrate is used as a food preservative. It is used for curing ham and as a fertilizer. Also known as Chile Saltpeter. If you eat bacon or cured ham you are eating it sodium nitrate. It has a very specific effect on live hogs. The concern of how it may affect other species is why it is being studied and has not yet been approved for hog control. The economic loss to feral hogs is in the billions and there will be continued efforts to control the population.

Back