testtest

Hollow point ammo

When I had a 9 mm, I ran HST in it... however I agree with the previous posts that there are many other choices that reliably penetrate/expand and they might be easier to find (but they might not be as perfect as the HST).

If you can find HST, I definitely recommend that as your go to choice. My local shop recently had HST for approx $1 per round. Sold completely out in a handful of days. They also had a mountain of Gold Dots. Gone as well.

Here's a chart form the AR500 Armor site that shows Armor level and calibers it protects against (Click on Body Armor Levels Chart).

Yeah I already had this info. I’ve been wearing soft body armor for awhile. My question was about this particular ammo. Standard 9mm is defeated by level 3A. I’m told Civil Liberty 9mm penetrates 3A.

Well then, AR500 Armor better update their chart. :sneaky:
I didn’t see a chart in your link. Just plates for sale. Click on one and it tells you in FPS.
For my purposes all I need to know, civil liberty defense aside, is that 3A soft armor defeats 9mm, .44, .45 etc.

More often in STL these days we’re seeing hood rats with ARs. Probably time to step up to a plate carrier. Weight is a consideration for me though.

I didn’t see a chart in your link. Just plates for sale. Click on one and it tells you in FPS.
For my purposes all I need to know, civil liberty defense aside, is that 3A soft armor defeats 9mm, .44, .45 etc.

More often in STL these days we’re seeing hood rats with ARs. Probably time to step up to a plate carrier. Weight is a consideration for me though.
There's a button above the plates for sale that says "Body Armor Levels Chart". Click on that button, and it opens up a chart with levels and calibers it protects against.

I hear you about the weight issue Bassbob. I've been thinking of buying some armor (I have never done so before), and wonder what the best protection and lightest weight plate would be.

I hear you about the weight issue Bassbob. I've been thinking of buying some armor (I have never done so before), and wonder what the best protection and lightest weight plate would be.
Here's an interesting alternative to wearing armor full-time with this product being discreet quick deploy option.

There's a button above the plates for sale that says "Body Armor Levels Chart". Click on that button, and it opens up a chart with levels and calibers it protects against.

Ah. Handy. Thanks for the link brother. I’m gonna bookmark it.

Best protection is a Level IV plate; lightest weight will be ceramic plates. Drawback is cost (ceramic—GOOD ceramic—isn’t cheap; look up HESCO plates if you want top shelf) and multiple strike capability; steel (depending on quality) usually will take more hits before becoming compromised.

Level 3 will stop most rifle rounds (.308, 7.62x39, .300) and might stop some .223/5.56 based on velocity; out of a pistol/SBR, likely; out of a 16” barrel, maybe. 3+ will stop .223/5.56 under 3000fps—both M193 and M855. IV, as mentioned, will stop .30-06 Armor Piercing (Black Tips).

I have Critical Duty as well as Critical Defense. I use them in my revolver. For my XD-s and Hellcat, I use Federal Guard Dog jacketed hollowpoints, just for smoother feeding. Exterior looks like a flat-nosed FMJ but there's a hollowpoint slug inside the jacket that opens on impact. Reviews are good, ballistic tests and expansions are consistent, and it feeds perfectly every time.

Best protection is a Level IV plate; lightest weight will be ceramic plates. Drawback is cost (ceramic—GOOD ceramic—isn’t cheap; look up HESCO plates if you want top shelf) and multiple strike capability; steel (depending on quality) usually will take more hits before becoming compromised.

Level 3 will stop most rifle rounds (.308, 7.62x39, .300) and might stop some .223/5.56 based on velocity; out of a pistol/SBR, likely; out of a 16” barrel, maybe. 3+ will stop .223/5.56 under 3000fps—both M193 and M855. IV, as mentioned, will stop .30-06 Armor Piercing (Black Tips).
Thanks Hans, very useful information, it's appreciated. (y)

Ah. Handy. Thanks for the link brother. I’m gonna bookmark it.
No problem Bassbob, I've been looking at armor and this site sends me email frequently on sales and stuff. I know I saw the chart there once before.

My sub compact get Black Hills/Barnes 115gr +p (9mm)
My compact and full get HST 124gr (9mm)
All 45's get Ranger T (when available) otherwise HST 230gr

Back