testtest

Home address or public location when selling a gun?

I need to sell a gun or two to finance my next one. So you invite strangers to your home to do this or do you go to a public area for safety reasons?
Unless I know the buyer(s) well, I tend to do the transaction at my favorite LGS vs. inviting strangers home.

Considering the times & who's sneaking into the country it's best to be cautious.

If you need a translator to communicate with the buyer I wouldn't go thru with it.

Last edited:
I need to sell a gun or two to finance my next one. So you invite strangers to your home to do this or do you go to a public area for safety reasons?

Depends on who, the sale, scenario and where. Look up and see your states laws 1st for details. If needed, forms for firearms transactions are often available online in various places like state police or sheriffs websites. Strangers? Depending on states requirements, both parties will know others address and other information. LGS can work very well, ask permission and explain from LGS 1st though. Some LGS also consign firearms for a cut of the proceeds.

Always sell guns from your home. In fact, I highly recommend inviting them in to see your collection, while giving them a peek into your safe as they look over your shoulder, when spinning the lock. We live in a very safe and trusting world, and as we all know, strangers are just friends you haven't met yet...

/sarc

When I’ve sold to people I don’t know well I get name, phone number and there address. I don’t give out my address. If they don’t offer there address, no sale. All have given their address freely.
All sales in a public area of my of my choosing and I make sure my trucks GoPro’s are clearly capturing the transaction.

Well, if you live in a state that requires universal background checks then the transaction has to go through an FFL. Other wise if I sell a gun to someone I don't know I require a bill of sale be written that contains the info on the gun plus I ask that they bring me a copy of their driver's license. Remember, you can't sell a handgun to a resident of another state per BATF. I give them a copy of my DL with the handwritten bill of sale. If a potential buyer balks at that then in today's political climate it's best for me to walk away. Some folks have success selling their guns at gun shows. The dealers will usually try to lowball you on price, but another attendee many be more than willing to give you what you're asking. However, please understand that you will sorely regret at some point in the future any gun you sell today!

I don't know here guys, and surely am not trying to offend anyone ...... but why in hell would anyone ever sell a firearm to someone they don't know without going through an FFL dealer. There is a federal statute against selling to someone you know or should have known to be disqualified from owning/possessing a firearm.

Yeh, it might not be likely you will be caught selling to a total unknown ..... but why take that chance? In my 60+ years of being a firearm owner, I've sold/traded probably more than a couple dozen. But never, not even once, have I sold one to someone I didn't know personally as a law abiding and responsible gun owner. I don't know ....... is it just me?

And I would never even consider inviting an unknown to my home !!!

I don't know here guys, and surely am not trying to offend anyone ...... but why in hell would anyone ever sell a firearm to someone they don't know without going through an FFL dealer. There is a federal statute against selling to someone you know or should have known to be disqualified from owning/possessing a firearm.

Yeh, it might not be likely you will be caught selling to a total unknown ..... but why take that chance? In my 60+ years of being a firearm owner, I've sold/traded probably more than a couple dozen. But never, not even once, have I sold one to someone I didn't know personally as a law abiding and responsible gun owner. I don't know ....... is it just me?

yeah, i should have asked, if where some of these sales are made in states where an FFL is not required. here in my state a transfer/sale is required to go through an FFL.

of course, clandestine sales to undesirables happens every where.

Personally, I’ve only sold one firearm to an individual.

We met at the range (which also happens to be an FFL) and I made sure he had a Weapons Carry License, which in this state serves in lieu of a background check at an FFL anyway. That way I knew he wasn’t prohibited, and I took a picture of it and his DL to keep with the bill of sale.

The only thing I didn’t do was make him fill out a 4473. But now I have a record if the cops or ATF come knocking. It’s my butt on the line, so at the very least I would never sell to anyone without a WCL that proves they’re not prohibited in my state.

Last edited:
Back