testtest

Home Defense Ammo & Pistols

Choose what you like; but to say one particular platform is better for everyone, every time, is a bit short sighted.
Applause 1 .gif

Not everybody likes broccoli

It's not a one size fits all situation.

First off, a pistol has several major advantages in “I need it NOW” bump in the night events—it's awful hard to have that sixteen inch AR carbine on top of the nightstand where you can pick it up and, if need be, fire almost immediately one handed, or even with your off hand. A handgun has none of these disadvantages.

Furthermore, I'd sooner take a shotgun with #1 or #4 buckshot for a purely inside the home defender than an AR; the lighter pellets have a low chance of exiting a body (but still have enough weight to punch deep, unlike birdshot), and also go through less walls than most .223/5.56 rounds, even defensive rounds.

Truth be told, though, I take a 9mm “SMG Wannabe” (in my case, a MP5 clone w/brace) over them both for my primary HD “long gun”; it’s more maneuverable, it’s faster on follow-ups, the concussion and flash indoors is not nearly as debilitating unsurpressed (particularly with subsonic ammo—not an option with shotguns or a 5.56 AR); this was what I discovered after quite a bit of time trying different platforms (includung AR’s and AR ”pistols”)...so it's what works for me, in my home.

Choose what you like; but to say one particular platform is better for everyone, every time, is a bit short sighted.

I absolutely agree with HansG. on almost all points.

My #1 platform(s) for indoor CQB is a handgun with a close-second of a CAA MCK PCC (handgun chassis configuration).

Once outside a structure then it's AR time out to moderate ranges.

My experience, & based on my AOPs, has evolved putting a shotgun into a secondary back-up role due to clear disadvantages a shotgun has compared to a handgun, a PCC, and AR-type rifle.

However, a shotgun has benefits for breaching & in a support role in a team situation.

As indicated earlier everyones situation/experience and AOPs can be different and a weapons mix should reflect those realities.

My .02

Last edited:
Personally, while I’m in bed, I have immediate access to a laser equipped .45 and an 18” Mossberg 500 loaded with 00B. In fact in most parts of my house I’m in close proximity to a .45 automatic and a long gun of some sort. Be it a shotgun or now an AR.

At any given time, regardless of where I am, I have immediate access to a handgun.

Last edited:
Back