testtest

Home Defense: Where to make your Stand

He was just the impetus to get me thinking. Would be hell to have to go thru the trauma of shooting someone to save yourself or your loved ones and then lose what meager wealth you have saved up for retirement to legal costs. In todays litigious society you see stories all the time where someone defends himself and then gets a wrongful death brought against them. Doesn't matter that it is a frivilous case that don't hold water, there are enough ambulance chasing lawyers out there that will take a case like that on and then you have to pay a lawyer's exuberent fees to defend against the lawsuit.
Not to change the subject but it begs big for Tort Reform Laws, ain't heard anyone interested in that issue since the Reagan Administration. Push for federal law that mirrors Florida's. If its a justified shoot you are protected against having a lawsuit being brought against you.
I don’t disagree, but Zimmerman, like me, lived in a state that prohibits civil lawsuits in justifiable shooting cases. His legal fees, which initially his lawyers took his case Pro Bono, were levied apparently after he made a bunch of money from a GoFundMe for his supposedly non existent legal fees. I’m guessing that if he had made it clear any money made from donations would go to his lawyers they would have been unable to later change their minds about doing it pro Bono. Just my opinion since I’m not a lawyer. I think George is responsible for those legal fees being levied in the first place.

Son and a few of his friends got charged on a bogus curfew violation. Anyhow it was a violation and he was ticketed with a court date. We showed up and talked to the prosecutor and he agreed it was a bogus charge and agreed to drop the charges if we pay court costs (a little over $100). This was nearly 20 years ago when $100 was a pretty good chunk of change. I'm like WTF, on bogus charges why am I paying court costs. The prosecutor told me that he was throwing me a bone, if I didn't want to pay court costs he would bond it over for trial. I would then need to get a lawyer and the outcome would be exactly the same except I would not have to pay court costs but the lawyer fees would far exceed the $100+ court costs. I told him that was straight up extortion and called him a piece of ^&*$ as I handed the court clerk my check. He smiled and thanked me. Only people we dealt with was the Court Clerk and the Prosecutor, didn't even go in front of the judge so my best guess would be administration costs. Paying the paper pushers who got it from the policeman's ticket book to the docket.

I don’t disagree, but Zimmerman, like me, lived in a state that prohibits civil lawsuits in justifiable shooting cases. His legal fees, which initially his lawyers took his case Pro Bono, were levied apparently after he made a bunch of money from a GoFundMe for his supposedly non existent legal fees. I’m guessing that if he had made it clear any money made from donations would go to his lawyers they would have been unable to later change their minds about doing it pro Bono. Just my opinion since I’m not a lawyer. I think George is responsible for those legal fees being levied in the first place.
George didn't elaborate with all the details just the end result; legal fees bankrupted him.

George didn't elaborate with all the details just the end result; legal fees bankrupted him.
That doesn’t change the fact that the details are known and his massive legal fees are a result of his own mistakes with regards to collecting money through a GoFundMe to pay for his legal fees.

For those who have yet to do so, I would encourage you to grab a pot of coffee and some snacks, and sit down to read through XDTalk member ibwaldo's HD shoot.....

Certainly, don't believe his story just because it appears "the Interw3bz." But consider that in addition to the countless local media mentions that he cited, the story was also published in the January 2011 issue of American Rifleman.

If you don't have the time to read his entire story, this lone post is most sobering: https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/i-need-to-vent.161995/#post-2621864.

Back