testtest

How did we ever survive our childhood?

Onewolf426

Professional
carseat.jpg

Yup. And we didn't have seatbelts, either. How about your little brother taking a nap on the package shelf in the rear window?

No bike helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, etc. We played tackle football with no protective gear except for the few kids who were lucky enough to have helmets.

Guns on a rack in the back window of your pickup at SCHOOL, of all places. Guns on the wooden rack on the wall you made in shop class.

We drank water from the tap (gasp). Played outside with the other kids all day long until called home for dinner.

And somehow we survived...

Yup. And we didn't have seatbelts, either. How about your little brother taking a nap on the package shelf in the rear window?

No bike helmets, knee pads, elbow pads, etc. We played tackle football with no protective gear except for the few kids who were lucky enough to have helmets.

Guns on a rack in the back window of your pickup at SCHOOL, of all places. Guns on the wooden rack on the wall you made in shop class.

We drank water from the tap (gasp). Played outside with the other kids all day long until called home for dinner.

I saw about a dozen early teen age boys playing “flag” football in the common area of our big subdivision the other day.
Glad to see it
First time I can say I have seen kids gather outside in years

BB Guns and Model Rocket Engines do NOT mix....

A family with 3 brothers..... growing up in the 70's and early 80's...
Shooting each other with BB Guns?
Shooting all the toys we had outgrown with BB Guns?
Only I was into model airplanes and model rocketry.....
Until I duct taped a model rocket engine to the batmobile facing upward on the slide and lit if off....
Both my brothers were into model rocket engines also at that point....
Discovered that if you saw the nozzle off a model rocket engine, and light it off, it makes a great roman candle....
But it was cold in the backyard so when we went to convert more rocket engines to fire works, we took into the basement....

The three of us having keen minds for efficiency and productivity, decided sawing nozzles off takes too long and tried to crush the clay nozzle by shooting them point blank with a BB out of the BB gun...
We were back to the fireworks show in the backyard in no time.....
Back in the basement, making more rocket engine fireworks, we weren't sure if we had cleared out all of the nozzle, lets give it a 2nd shot just to be sure......
We discovered high impact from steel, can cause enough heat and pressure to ignite a volatile substance....
It flipped and shot all over the basement, filled the whole house with smoke, landed on the old couch in the basement, burned halfway through the cushion...

We flipped the couch cushion over, opened all the windows with fans, somehow cleared out all the smell before our parents ever got home and were none the wiser...

We played cowboys and indians with BB guns. The adults used to always tell us that it was all fun and games till somebody loses an eye. "That never dissuaded us said one eyed Pete"...
At age 5 standing on the axle, leaning on that old white fender while Deddy sat and drove this old Ford tractor bush hogging the farm and clearing paths for trails or tree stands.
View attachment 32375
Yard darts, clackers, Daisy BB gun; real toys for real boys...
Did all that! My mom had the fastest arm draw of all mothers. It was both to save us from bouncing off the dash and or smart mouth shuttage

You survived! Many children didn't which is why all the safety features came to pass. I'm old enough to remember cases children suffocating because they were hiding in an old ice box or fridge that latched when closed. Hence the refrigerators haven't had latches for many years.

11 years old, I had a tape recorder (in the 1970's), the microphone broke.
I took it apart and found the wire to a contact had broken off.
I went to radio shack and got a soldering iron and solder, taught myself to solder and fixed it.

How many kids would do that today?

Heck just trying to explain to a young adult today on how to do something, and they just demand I provide them a youtube how to video link instead...:mad:

-My kids learned:
-Yes maam, yes sir .. no maam , no sir
-You go to friends house for dinner, you get up and say thank you and help clear the table and offer to help do dishes. And do the dishes with them. Period !!
-To shoot and respect all firearms
-Dont back talk momma. You may disagree, but you never disrespect. You may discuss your opinion and reason, but to raise your voice to momma is not tolerated.
- have fun but have respect. Difference of being a teenager and being a hellion

We had wars with giant rubber bands.
Them sob’s hurt at close range 😩🤣😎
After the novelty of spit balls made from chewed loose leaf paper and Bic pen barrels wore off, I recall paper clips flying from large rubber bands (wasn’t me).
Spending time in the fields (city vacant lot) trying to shoot down dragonflies with straws and a 24¢ bag of split peas was a ton of fun.

Too much cheap tech is ruining childhood.

Back