testtest

How Do I Clean a Pistol?

I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner either and I’m aware that just like everything else to do with a gun there are at least three sides to any story. If you get a chance to read that whole thread there are some interesting takes pro and con. And like everything, if people were to follow directions there would be no issues, but of course, they don’t and hence produce about a third of the content we see on the collective forums. Where else would we get threads like - Oops I cleaned my P365 and now I can’t get my slide On/Off. Sig Talk would close its doors without that one! Or - I polished the internals of my Masada before shooting it and now it won’t go into battery. Saw that one yesterday. Or - I cracked the frame on my FN509 installing an APEX trigger and FN says I have to buy a whole new gun. You don’t say?

I don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner either and I’m aware that just like everything else to do with a gun there are at least three sides to any story. If you get a chance to read that whole thread there are some interesting takes pro and con. And like everything, if people were to follow directions there would be no issues, but of course, they don’t and hence produce about a third of the content we see on the collective forums. Where else would we get threads like - Oops I cleaned my P365 and now I can’t get my slide On/Off. Sig Talk would close its doors without that one! Or - I polished the internals of my Masada before shooting it and now it won’t go into battery. Saw that one yesterday. Or - I cracked the frame on my FN509 installing an APEX trigger and FN says I have to buy a whole new gun. You don’t say?
Cleaning and self-gunsmithing screwups keep our gunsmith busy near full-time. Trying to save a buck can easily cost a couple hundred. I am fairly competent working on the firearms I personally own, but I still revert to reliable videos (i.e. from the manufacturer) from time to time, especially if it has been a while.

My wife has an ultrasonic cleaner. I promised not to use it to clean my BCGs. Which is the only thing I would ever think about using it for besides used vintage razors. I have a doctor friend who uses one for his BCGs. Says it's awesome. To me cleaning a BCG and guns in general is cathartic.

Bolt Carrier Group
I am still hemming and hawing over getting an ultrasonic cleaner for my BCG and its internals....but since I've dispatched re-loading as a potential new hobby, the attraction of said cleaner has ebbed somewhat. I figure if that damn firing pin cotter pin stops working when I re-intall when it still has carbon fouling (because I can't get it "perfect" with a brush and Hoppe's #9 bore cleaner), I'll just buy a whole new BCG. Money can be replaced. And there are so many fancy-schmancy coated BCG's now...I'll never get to try them all if I keep the ones I've got in good shape. So there it is....trying to rationalize ways for me to spend more $$ on cool stuff.

Hell yes.

The modern equivalent is expensive. There are a few Surplus stores that claim to have the real stuff. They claim. About $20/bottle. 4 oz.
WOW. :oops:

I can't promise anything, but I know I USED to have several bottles around here somewhere in the Snakepit. I haven't used it since sometime in the '80s. If I DO have it, I'm not sure where it is, and I'm not going to bother to look for it because I won't find it. I've discovered the best way to find something I need is to forget about it, and the NEXT time I go looking for something else, BOOM, there it is, and I say, like the little kid on the bed in Animal House, "Thank you, GOD!" and I mean it. If/when I find it, I'll let you know. ;)

Y'all know Glocks will melt in there, right?😉
IMG_2387.png

Back