testtest

How Many Magazines Do You Keep On Hand Per Gun?

Oh please find me one. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
1647788602257.jpeg

My state (WA) has continued its descent into madness by passing a ban on the sale of "high capacity" magazines, which will go into effect in July. I never felt I needed too many. Was happy with three for my XDM and four 30's and two 20's for my Saint. But now? How could I have enough? Bought a couple more 30's for the Saint, a couple 25's for my Ruger 10/22 (which I've had since I was twelve) and have to get 2 or 3 more for the XDM. I can't afford to do much more than that.

Even worse is my Sig P239. Only has 8 round mags, but it's been my EDC since 1999. Only ever had three mags for it, which still work great. Now it's out of production and Sig doesn't make them, and no one seems to make aftermarkets for them, and I can't find a used one for less than $80.

So, lesson learned. Buy more than enough while you can.

My state (WA) has continued its descent into madness by passing a ban on the sale of "high capacity" magazines, which will go into effect in July. I never felt I needed too many. Was happy with three for my XDM and four 30's and two 20's for my Saint. But now? How could I have enough? Bought a couple more 30's for the Saint, a couple 25's for my Ruger 10/22 (which I've had since I was twelve) and have to get 2 or 3 more for the XDM. I can't afford to do much more than that.

Even worse is my Sig P239. Only has 8 round mags, but it's been my EDC since 1999. Only ever had three mags for it, which still work great. Now it's out of production and Sig doesn't make them, and no one seems to make aftermarkets for them, and I can't find a used one for less than $80.

Here you go ---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/334197060202?epid=8031090512&hash=item4dcfb2726a:g:aO4AAOSwOP1heZik

There are several listings.

Mags can fail. They can also be outlawed. Or they can be discontinued, hard to find and very expensive.
Many of the magazines used in today's guns will eventually go out of production. When factory mags are no longer available prices on originals can skyrocket. Colt began shipping these keyhole mags in August 1912 and they were discontinued in April 1913. I wonder if today's mags will be as hard to find after 100 years.
Keyhole 1.JPG
Keyhold 2.JPG

as

Many of the magazines used in today's guns will eventually go out of production. When factory mags are no longer available prices on originals can skyrocket. Colt began shipping these keyhole mags in August 1912 and they were discontinued in April 1913. I wonder if today's mags will be as hard to find after 100 years.
View attachment 26091View attachment 26092
as
Mags like the early Colt mags are extremely rare and move into the area of being collectorโ€™s items. I would not use them but use more readily available less expensive mags for shooting my 1911.

The 1911 is a very popular automatic and would expect to see mags still available many years from now.

View attachment 26091View attachment 26092
as
As noted aboveโ€”those are a collectorโ€™s item.

Itโ€™s not like you canโ€™t get fully functional 1911 magazines from numerous other sourcesโ€ฆ

Aero Precision has special bundle deals on their website for Washington State residents to buy mags before the ban goes into effect.

Here's a great deal on 10 30 round pmags for only $88.80

3-6 per gun. Some guns have interchangeable mags so they add up. For instance I have two XDM 40s, therefore I have a minimum of 6 mags. I have 5 government size 45 ACP 1911s so I have a min of 15. ARs, min of 6 per gun. That works for me because i may have 30-40 AR-15 mags and and 15-20 1911 mags but I'm only going to be able to shoot one gun at a time. If i had to hand a gun out, I could hand over 3 -6 full mags with that gun.

One of the (several) shops I frequent has had 30-round P-mags-Gen2 for sale for $8.99 for almost a year now. Most others are asking $15-$18 each. I've been buying 2 every time I go in and find nothing else to buy (frequent these days). I think I have enough for nearly a case of 5.56....I'm done buying AR mags for a while...

Minimum of five is mandatory. In all cases. Personally I am not comfortable with less than double that amount. For pistols anyway.
This will be my last reply but I will monitor and read some of the great info that is available here. Now my answer to amount of mags I keep on hand are as follows, compacts-3 extras which totals 5 each, 5 plus one for single stack and 10 for double stack and I do keep extra springs on hand for the mags. Wish you all to be safe and walk with ease and do stay below the ridge line. Shattowalker out.

Back