testtest

How many…….

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
When I was younger and would go hunting with my dad, just before we left he always did a function test on his gun. One day I asked him why he did this, his reply it’s better to know now if you’re having any issues with your gun instead of being out in the field and it occurs. So, how many of you have done this or still doing it?

I usually do before hunting season. when i went to camp i always took two rifles in case something happened to one. i was usually there for a while. few years back i spent a whole month in the woods hunting every day. then on some days i might go to the gravel pit and shoot just for the heck of it if hunting is slow. most days i was there by myself.

Lunch time i would usually watch the loggers cut the trees with harvesters. if they were cutting on our lease. then at Muzzle loading season, i would ride around and hunt rattlesnakes.

When I was younger and would go hunting with my dad, just before we left he always did a function test on his gun. One day I asked him why he did this, his reply it’s better to know now if you’re having any issues with your gun instead of being out in the field and it occurs. So, how many of you have done this or still doing it?
I think your dad was teaching you a lesson that applied to many things in life outside of hunting. Sounds like a solid man.

Had a bcg issue and missed an opportunity on a really big hog. Time to pay a little more attention.
A few years ago I was night hunting hogs with my 7mm magnum BAR and I was up to bat when a huge boar hog walked into the plot. I took careful aim at 50 yards and click, nothing happened. Fortunately I was hunting with friends in my shoot house and one of the other guys killed the hog. I was frustrated to say the least. I took it to a gunsmith who called the next day and said he had never seen it before but a cleaning patch from a previous cleaning had worked its way into the internal mechanism and kept the gun from going fully into battery. I had made many one shot kills with that rifle and never dreamed it would not fire. Easy fix but a great object lesson.

We often inspected officers' firearms and found enough missing or loose screws, empty revolvers, no magazine, and a few times an empty holsters to make us contiinue inspections.

A few years ago I was night hunting hogs with my 7mm magnum BAR and I was up to bat when a huge boar hog walked into the plot. I took careful aim at 50 yards and click, nothing happened. Fortunately I was hunting with friends in my shoot house and one of the other guys killed the hog. I was frustrated to say the least. I took it to a gunsmith who called the next day and said he had never seen it before but a cleaning patch from a previous cleaning had worked its way into the internal mechanism and kept the gun from going fully into battery. I had made many one shot kills with that rifle and never dreamed it would not fire. Easy fix but a great object lesson.

We often inspected officers' firearms and found enough missing or loose screws, empty revolvers, no magazine, and a few times an empty holsters to make us contiinue inspections.
I had a similar occurance years ago. A six point buck was browsing through the bush and when I pulled the trigger to shoot it all I got was a dull thud. To the deer it must have sounded like I had beat on a drum. When I got my Remington 742 back to the house I drove out the pins that held the trigger group in the receiver. To my surprise it was full of debris and there was a small piece of a twig that had retarded the forward movement of the hammer. The trash had entered through an open area behind the bolt as I had struggled through stands of mountain laural on drives over several seasons. I cleaned the trigger group and lubed the springs and returned it to receiver, and I didn't have any more issues. Now when I clean my rifle at the end of the season I always drop the trigger group out and clean it. Also I always fire my rifles that I hunt with at least once before opening day as to foul the barrel.
xxhdpi_rem_trig_ass_2.jpeg

Same scenario on a hog, but I failed to load the gun 😡😡😡🤬🤬🤬🤬

I check ever weapon I am going hunting with. My father taught me that whatever I use I owe it to the animal to make a clean kill. Having a weapon that works 100% is part of doing just that.

I shoot at least one arrow before, heading out, listening and watching carefully to insure everything is ok. I snap at least one or two caps or pans of powder on muzzle loaders against the grass and watch that there are no obstructions. I function check my modern weapons. It's part of my responsibility.

Back