testtest

How much spare ammo do you all carry?

With My Hellcat I carry one spare mag on me and one in a EDC bag as a back up. If have a single stack I will carry two on me and two in back up bag. I have read and heard a lot of general rules over the years. I usually like to carry extra mag based less on round count and more on chance of mag failure.

2 spare mags on belt using Blue Force Gear ten speed double pistol mag pouch. Lays flat when mag is removed, no sharp edges, can hold single or double stack in each pouch.
Plus could hold small knife, flash light or oc spray instead of a mag.
Most versatile pouch I’ve ever seen.

Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?

I carry a Glock 19 Gen 4 in a side car holster so i keep a full mag in the gun and a spare 15 in the holster. Additionally, i carry a 33 round stick in my backpack. I probably will never need to use that but i can confidently say i am prepared with extra ammo.

I agree;
If a CCW civilian carries a 15 rd. firearm & spare magazines, their intent, and reasonableness may be called into question. If you truly feel, you need this level of sustained response to perceived threats perhaps you may consider; either moving to a safer neighborhood or forego re-enlistment after your last tour in Mosul. Just a thought!

Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?
At the moment, none. XD Mod.2 subcompact flush mag allows for 13+1, so I'm already way ahead of many single-stack carriers. When I hit the road, I usually load up the extended mag (15) and put it in my laptop backpack, just in case.

Worst (or best) case? Drove down to see family at Christmas and had our GPS Handgunner backpack with 1 spare mag for my wife's Glock 43X, one spare mag for my XD, one spare mag for the Ruger 9E in the bag (we carried the loaded 43X and XD on-body). Also had our Ruger AR556 in the trunk with around 6 30-round PMAGs pre-loaded. The backpack had another 100 rounds of .223 as well as about 200 rounds of 9mm.

I'd say we were stacked :cool:

I normally carry on extra double stack when carrying my Glock and 2 xtra 8 rnd single stacks when carrying my 1911.

At the moment, none. XD Mod.2 subcompact flush mag allows for 13+1, so I'm already way ahead of many single-stack carriers. When I hit the road, I usually load up the extended mag (15) and put it in my laptop backpack, just in case.

Worst (or best) case? Drove down to see family at Christmas and had our GPS Handgunner backpack with 1 spare mag for my wife's Glock 43X, one spare mag for my XD, one spare mag for the Ruger 9E in the bag (we carried the loaded 43X and XD on-body). Also had our Ruger AR556 in the trunk with around 6 30-round PMAGs pre-loaded. The backpack had another 100 rounds of .223 as well as about 200 rounds of 9mm.

I'd say we were stacked :cool:
I like how your EDC profile includes coffee. I assume it's Black Rifle Coffee.

I agree;
If a CCW civilian carries a 15 rd. firearm & spare magazines, their intent, and reasonableness may be called into question. If you truly feel, you need this level of sustained response to perceived threats perhaps you may consider; either moving to a safer neighborhood or forego re-enlistment after your last tour in Mosul. Just a thought!
For me it's not about round count, but instead wanting to have a spare mag as a backup in case of a malfunction with my primary.

Last edited:
I concur, as all that extra stuff is not my style either. When I'm carrying, it's just the mag in the pistol with no extra ammo available. I'm not one to carry a lot of extra items either. The small med pouch, which is geared towards range use, is always in the truck. My pockets normally contain a small folder (CRKT Squid), chapstick (used all seasons), wallet, phone, and keys. Pistol (normally XDS 9) is carried IWB.
I carry one extra mag, but not for the reasons most would think. My extra mag is in case I have a malfunction that requires a mag change.

Always carry extra magazines or speed loaders depending on the piece

I agree;

Why is this the case?

Is my intent questionable because I carry "self-defense insurance?" Is my intent questionable because I carry automotive or homeowner's insurance?

Do I have suspicious intent because I applied for a concealed handgun license? Or that I've undertaken training over and above what is mandated by the state to meet the standards for such licensing?

Or would the fact that I chose -not- to undertake such additional training imply that I am intentionally incompetent versus some higher standard?

We saw George Zimmerman accused of both having sought self-defense training -AND- supposedly being less-than-proficient at such. That's damned if you did, damned if you didn't, isn't it?

There is no "safe neighborhood." Safety is an illusion that is shattered every time someone says "Wow, that happened just around the corner from me." The strangest statement I hear from folks who choose to arm themselves for self-defense is the admission that "if I were to go somewhere where I didn't feel safe, I'd choose to bring X with me instead." Why would any of us deliberately choose to not be in safer surroundings?

This is really akin to suggesting that seat-belts are best utilized just prior to merging onto the highway...when in-reality, most motor vehicle collisions and injuries occur only a short distance from one's home.

But at the same time, the other end of the equation can be said to have validity as well - yes, living where the crime rate is low is great, but some law abiding citizens end up coming to firearms for self-defense simply because their circumstances have made it impossible or difficult to move to better living conditions, even if temporarily (think of a newly abandoned single parent, whose previous partner has left no monetary resources and is not able to be found for child/spousal support).

Legally speaking, use-of-force in self-defense simply must to meet the criteria of Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy, and Preclusion.

Physiologically speaking, the attacker(s) simply must be stopped - and this is accomplished only via disabling the CNS or by dropping the target's blood pressure sufficiently so as to stop their ability to cause the defender further harm. The defender's marksmanship as well as the terminal effects of the cartridge will both come into play.

It's always easy for those of us who subscribe to modern defensive/duty pistols with double-stack magazines (https://www.policeone.com/police-he...5-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/) to deride those who would say something like: "If I can't get it done with my 5-shot J-frame...." It is also of-course just as easy to make light of the same, the other way around.

But the truth of the matter is that as long as our actions are legal - both in terms of what we carry (legal restrictions of firearm choice and ammo capacity) as well as, God forbid, the actions we undertake for self-defense in such dire circumstances (AOJP) - to make fun of that other party is really no different than someone who refuses to see the wisdom of armed self-defense suggesting that anyone who carries a gun either "must be afraid of something" or have "a lust for blood."

Walther PPQ with 15 round mag and a spare 15 mag in pocket. IWB and wear mostly a 5+11 style pant that has a small pocket on each side of large back pockets. Carry the spare mag in one and a medium folding knife in the other.

WOW! I must be paranoid or something. I carry my XDM 10mm, 15+1, plus 4 15 round mags in my conceal carry coat(winter only) for a total of 76 rounds of ammo. Is it heavy? Damn skippy it is, but very comforting to my old bones knowing i have plenty of ammo to get to my long guns. Overkill? Perhaps, but the only one that knows is me.

Back