testtest

How much spare ammo do you all carry?

Depending on what I am wearing, maybe and extra mag in a pant pocket. Usually not though. I have all to do not having the gun print against a shirt or whatever I am wearing. If that happens around here, the police are already on their way. An extra magazine just adds another layer of complexity.

I carry an extra mag in my truck but not on me. All of my EDC pistols have a minimum of 10 rounds. When I have a winter coat on that could be 16 rounds.

Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?
None. I either have a 12 round mag or 15 round mag in my CC depending on the clothing I am wearing. I do keep an extra 17 round mag in my car, and two 12 round mags by my bed. But, I also have a 12 gauge next to my bed as well. Statistically, almost all citizen involved self defense shootings involve 2-4 rounds (roughly). The chances you will actually NEED more than that are extremely, extremely rare. Based on statistics and comfort (I’m 5’6” and 150 lbs), it is not worth it to me to carry additional mags on my person. But, as you said, no one has ever complained of having too much ammo, so if you can carry extra ammo comfortably and concealed, go for it.

Last edited:
1 - 8 round spare if I'm sporting a 1911, 1 - 16 round spare if the XD is the uniform of the day, and an extra 12 if packing the P365XL. It comes down to a full mag in the weapon, and a full spare.

I personally load for bear. I carry 68 rounds in total. Three 15 rd spares in a cross body (casual, fashionable, extra pockets, leave me alone.) and a 22 extended in the well with one in the chamber. I feel that growing up watching churches, schools, and movie theaters shot up with ARs or by people with multiple firearms has taught me that my first reaction should be the most lethal one possible during a worst case scenario. I can swap out the 22 for the 15 before going into a business or residence of a newly met acquaintance so I don't have a "EXTENDO!" mag sticking out like a goof, thus easing tensions and still staying safe. In the worst case scenario (why are you carrying and not training worst case. Training for certain situations and getting hit with the worst case is what you've been trying to prevent. **** statistics, this is real life. YOUR life.) I now have the ability to A; approach mass shootings and attempt to stop them from an outside situation in which my 22 rd mag is already in, prepped, and I'm at full prowess or B; Try my very best to center mass the robber in the store (after an immediate threat to my or anyone else's life is presented ofc) with the first shot from a 15 round mag, and if he was smart and decided to rob the place with buddies, I now have the ability to duke it out to the fullest extent and hopefully keep my life in the meantime. Just my pennies on the matter. To each their own as this is America.

I personally load for bear.
Appendix carry, 1 o'clock. Glock 22 Gen4. As close to stock custom as you can imagine, however crazy that sounds. 3.5 trigger, 20 lb recoil spring, modded disassembly pegs, stock slide, barrel, and frame. Trying to keep it as civil looking as possible while also being comfortable, concealable, and personalized as well. My EDC is fine weight wise and my silhouette doesn't print in my case.

A spare magazine for the xde & a speed strip loaded with 5 jhp for the K6s. Both clipped to pocket with neomag holders. If I need more than that I am probably screwed anyway🙃

I have my HellCat on me at all times. I have 13+1 in the gun and a spare 13 in the mag holster. I agree with some of the sentiments I've read. If I need to use all 27 rounds, I've bitten off more than I can chew. My hopes at that point are that the bad guy(s) will have fled, they are down, or the police have finally arrived and I've survived my 10 minutes alone.

I always carry a spare mag, and I’ll carry speedloaders/strips if I’m carrying a revolver.

The spare mag isn’t so much for the extra ammo as it is for a spare magazine—the most common point of failure in an auto loader. Also, there’s some failures that require you to remove the magazine...and just jettisoning it is faster than trying to hold onto it and then clearing the malf.

If you say that your pistol has never experienced that type of failure, so you don’t need to worry...I would say you haven’t shot it enough.

If I'm carrying my S&W Shield 45, which is my primary CCW, then it's IWB or OWB carry on right side, and usually two spare mags in the drop pocket of my BDU pants or shorts that I always wear. The Shield mag holds 7 rounds but the extra mags are single stack and super easy to conceal. I have a couple of single and dual mag pouches but the BDU jean shorts I wear in summertime have a lot of pockets so I carry the extra mags in my left side drop pocket. If I'm carrying my Taurus G3 9mm, then it's IWB sometimes, but mostly OWB carry on right side and I usually only carry one spare 17 round mag.

I always carry a spare mag, and I’ll carry speedloaders/strips if I’m carrying a revolver.

The spare mag isn’t so much for the extra ammo as it is for a spare magazine—the most common point of failure in an auto loader. Also, there’s some failures that require you to remove the magazine...and just jettisoning it is faster than trying to hold onto it and then clearing the malf.

If you say that your pistol has never experienced that type of failure, so you don’t need to worry...I would say you haven’t shot it enough.
This 👆

Always extra mags in the truck for the current CC I have on my right hip OWB. Extra mags on me is depending on where I’m going (ie)
“inner city” or “backcountry.”
I prefer to carry my extras on my belt.
Left side.
I have both single and double mag pouches, again usage is based on where I’m going.

Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?
I carry two spare XDS mags in cargo pockets. Carry XDS IWB Appendix. Better to have too much than too little.

Back