testtest

How much spare ammo do you all carry?

I was at a Firearms school at the beginning of the week. One of the instructors ( he looked very, very young) had 6 magazines on his left side, a knife in the back and a M&P M2.0 on the right side. Limited to 10 round mag capacity here so he couldnt have more than 60 rounds plus another 10 + 1 in the gun. I wasn't sure if it was just for the wow factor or he had some dummy rounds for training etc., so I casually asked him if that was his edc. He said yes, so I am guessing he wears winter clothes year round as there is no open carry. My son mentioned if he fell over, he may not be able to get back up.

I was at a Firearms school at the beginning of the week. One of the instructors ( he looked very, very young) had 6 magazines on his left side, a knife in the back and a M&P M2.0 on the right side. Limited to 10 round mag capacity here so he couldnt have more than 60 rounds plus another 10 + 1 in the gun. I wasn't sure if it was just for the wow factor or he had some dummy rounds for training etc., so I casually asked him if that was his edc. He said yes, so I am guessing he wears winter clothes year round as there is no open carry. My son mentioned if he fell over, he may not be able to get back up.
Sounds like the instructor was going to war.......

Sounds like the instructor was going to war.......

One man's preparedness is another's paranoia...;)

But, one time, just for gits and shiggles, I packed not 1, not 2, not 3...but 7 J-frames...and didn’t even clank when I walked.

2 in a double shoulder rig, 1 AIWB, 1 OWB strongside, 1 IWB weak side, 1 ankle, 1 weakside front pocket. I was wearing a light fleece jacket, as it was fall...the only problem was my jeans wanted to ride up over the ankle rig when I sat down, and wouldn’t fall back over it when I stood. Last time I wore it...

Only did it to win a bet.

no, it was prior to cameras being ubiquitous...

But, in all honesty—with the exception of the ankle issues, you really couldn't tell. My buddy (who lost the bet) said I was packing 4.

Most I ever had on me was 4 handguns and a very short shotgun. The big .44 under my left shoulder, a 1911 on my right hip, another on my left hip crossdraw, a Colt .25 in my back right pocket and a pistol grip 500 under my trenchcoat. That was long ago, before high capacity anything.

Most I ever had on me was 4 handguns and a very short shotgun. The big .44 under my left shoulder, a 1911 on my right hip, another on my left hip crossdraw, a Colt .25 in my back right pocket and a pistol grip 500 under my trenchcoat. That was long ago, before high capacity anything.
When I first started into guns, the only high capacity guns that I remember were the High Power and S&W model 59, that were readily available

When I first started into guns, the only high capacity guns that I remember were the High Power and S&W model 59, that were readily available

Yeah and back then I had no use for 9mm. 1911s in .45 ACP were what I was doing.

For clarity, I didn't really go around all armed up like that. It was a, " Unique" situation, and as it turned out totally unnecessary. Back in those days around here just having one of those handguns concealed on me was a felony.

Yeah and back then I had no use for 9mm. 1911s in .45 ACP were what I was doing.

For clarity, I didn't really go around all armed up like that. It was a, " Unique" situation, and as it turned out totally unnecessary. Back in those days around here just having one of those handguns concealed on me was a felony.
My first CCW gun was a Astra Terminator in .44 mag, loaded Winchester Silvertips in .44 Special in it, think they were either .210gr or .220gr, can’t remember
1597371905425.jpeg

Here is what it looked like

My first CCW gun was a Astra Terminator in .44 mag, loaded Winchester Silvertips in .44 Special in it, think they were either .210gr or .220gr, can’t remember

You know I don't know that I've ever shot a short barreled .44. I got an old Smith snubby .357 somewhere, but I never had a small .44. How was the recoil on that sucker? My .44s all had/have 8.5 or 10" barrels.

You know I don't know that I've ever shot a short barreled .44. I got an old Smith snubby .357 somewhere, but I never had a small .44. How was the recoil on that sucker? My .44s all had/have 8.5 or 10" barrels.
There a handful, the Astra was a fairly heavy gun, I tried once, and I mean once shooting Hornady 300gr XTP.......whewww....😬

Two reloads. This means when carrying two revolvers two speed loaders and two speed strips. One revolver one speedliader and one speed strip or two speed loaders.

I don't carry a spare magazine for my EDC. I do carry a LCP II as a backup in my back pocket. I'm playing the odds that the need for a second mag in a self-defense shooting would more likely result from a malfunction than from running out of ammo. I'm thinking that if my EDC malfunctions, I do not want to have to blindly hope that the malfunction is one that can be cured by a new mag. I'd rather just go for the backup gun.
I also like having the option to arm a second person if things really go sideways. Although it is extraordinarily unlikely that I would need to arm a second person, I'd rather be able to hand them a gun than a magazine.

I'm obviously the odd duck here, but I carry whatever my pistol can pack and nothing more. If I know I'm going somewhere more questionable than normal I'd throw a mag or two in a pocket or carrier, but that's rare. I know, 'you never know when you're going to need it.' But for me, if it's not quick and clean I'm less likely to take her with. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone carry extra mags, I'm just being honest about my carry situation, and admit it's not perfect.
The biggest arguement I know for a spare mag, especially if you carry a high cap, I usually carry a revolver, is the accidental mag dump.

I have found a magazine on a resteraunt bench from a person who accidentally dumped thier magazine leaving them with basically a dueling pistol.

Have met others who have also at the gun club. So , while its probably a long shot, it happens, and with my luck would be the worst time to do so.

I'm obviously the odd duck here, but I carry whatever my pistol can pack and nothing more. If I know I'm going somewhere more questionable than normal I'd throw a mag or two in a pocket or carrier, but that's rare. I know, 'you never know when you're going to need it.' But for me, if it's not quick and clean I'm less likely to take her with. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone carry extra mags, I'm just being honest about my carry situation, and admit it's not perfect.
Also, probably a winning lottery odds moment a friend freakishly caught the basepad of his holstered pistol just right on a table and it ripped the pad off the mag, cartridges everywhere. Who knows exactly how but Mr Murphey sure screwed with him that day. I did not see it but his wife told us about it

Last edited:
Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?
It depends on what I carry when I carry my 1911 like I am today i carry 1 spare magazine which puts me at 15 rounds total of course I'd probably carry more if I would shell out the cash to get a couple more magazines but I keep putting it off. When I carry my fns-9 I carry 2 spare mags with it

I carry 1 xtra 13rd mag in town and 2 when in the road.
Daily carry is XDm45 3.8 compact. I switch off either appendix carry from comfort holsters or a owb Fobus.

Back