testtest

How much spare ammo do you all carry?

FlatEarthFred

Operator
Founding Member
Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?

Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?

Generally two spare 15 round mags if carrying my larger S&W semi-auto, and either two or three 10 round mags if carrying my Baby Glock 26. Any more rounds than that needed, I've gotten myself into something where I should have known to make a tactical withdrawal rather than engaging!

I usually only carry 1 spare mag. If I were running a single stack (and I used to do so years ago) I would carry two mags. If I am carrying my "professional dress" EDC I have a 12 round spare mag that I drop in a pocket, but I sometimes run a 12 or 15 round mag in the gun and a 15 round spare on the belt, situation dependent.

I'm obviously the odd duck here, but I carry whatever my pistol can pack and nothing more. If I know I'm going somewhere more questionable than normal I'd throw a mag or two in a pocket or carrier, but that's rare. I know, 'you never know when you're going to need it.' But for me, if it's not quick and clean I'm less likely to take her with. I HIGHLY recommend that everyone carry extra mags, I'm just being honest about my carry situation, and admit it's not perfect.

I guess I am also an odd duck. I am not a Leo/military and in all honesty am never going to be in a sustained firefight. I mean I really can‘t think of a situation were legally I am going to be justifiable going though a couple hi cap mags. cool I get the whole shtf and yes I carry a rifle in the truck and have an extra mag there. But damn the thought of carrying a couple pounds of ammo, gun, knife, multitool, wallet, keys etc sounds horrible. If you want the truth carrying the pistol instead of another mag I would rather have a tourniquet. You are more likely to need that then laying cover fire. If there is a mass casualty event an Ifak will make you more useful then an extra mag. Would also recommend at min a stop the bleed class to learn some basics of how to use an IFAK. USLaw Shield offers a gunshoot wound class and the surgeon that taught ours gave some high speed education on boo boos. Think about it an IFAK can come in handy in multiple situations Car Accidents, slips and falls, industrial accidents.....you know everyday stuff. As for Extra Ammo, I guess Im the meme of the guy sipping coffee at the table convince me otherwise. Hey if you carry extra ammo I am not putting you down, just my situation it doesn’t work for me.

Last edited:
I guess I am also an odd duck. I am not a Leo/military and in all honesty am never going to be in a sustained firefight. I mean I really can‘t think of a situation were legally I am going to be justifiable going though a couple hi cap mags. cool I get the whole shtf and yes I carry a rifle in the truck and have an extra mag there. But **** the thought of carrying a couple pounds of ammo, gun, knife, multitool, wallet, keys etc sounds horrible. If you want the truth carrying the pistol instead of another mag I would rather have a tourniquet. You are more likely to need that then laying cover fire. If there is a mass casualty event an Ifak will make you more useful then an extra mag. Would also recommend at min a stop the bleed class to learn some basics of how to use an IFAK. USLaw Shield offers a gunshoot wound class and the surgeon that taught ours gave some high speed education on boo boos. Think about it an IFAK can come in handy in multiple situations Car Accidents, slips and falls, industrial accidents.....you know everyday stuff. As for Extra Ammo, I guess Im the meme of the guy sipping coffee at the table convince me otherwise. Hey if you carry extra ammo I am not putting you down, just my situation it doesn’t work for me.
I concur, as all that extra stuff is not my style either. When I'm carrying, it's just the mag in the pistol with no extra ammo available. I'm not one to carry a lot of extra items either. The small med pouch, which is geared towards range use, is always in the truck. My pockets normally contain a small folder (CRKT Squid), chapstick (used all seasons), wallet, phone, and keys. Pistol (normally XDS 9) is carried IWB.

Last edited:
I guess I am also an odd duck. I am not a Leo/military and in all honesty am never going to be in a sustained firefight. I mean I really can‘t think of a situation were legally I am going to be justifiable going though a couple hi cap mags. cool I get the whole shtf and yes I carry a rifle in the truck and have an extra mag there. But **** the thought of carrying a couple pounds of ammo, gun, knife, multitool, wallet, keys etc sounds horrible. If you want the truth carrying the pistol instead of another mag I would rather have a tourniquet. You are more likely to need that then laying cover fire. If there is a mass casualty event an Ifak will make you more useful then an extra mag. Would also recommend at min a stop the bleed class to learn some basics of how to use an IFAK. USLaw Shield offers a gunshoot wound class and the surgeon that taught ours gave some high speed education on boo boos. Think about it an IFAK can come in handy in multiple situations Car Accidents, slips and falls, industrial accidents.....you know everyday stuff. As for Extra Ammo, I guess Im the meme of the guy sipping coffee at the table convince me otherwise. Hey if you carry extra ammo I am not putting you down, just my situation it doesn’t work for me.
Great insight xdman and I feel people should carry how they feel most comfortable. I usually carry single stack compacts such as S&W M&P Shields, so with 3 mags I got anywhere from 18-24 rounds (depends if I'm carrying the 9, 40 or 45 PC Shields as I own them all). I am most likely not as good of a shot as you, so I'm comfortable carrying a bit more than the pistol holds alone. Yes with all that gear it's a bit heavy, but a good gun-belt like the one I own from Crossbreed helps with that immensely. As mentioned in a previous thread, I own an ankle IFAK which I really should be wearing everyday and not just at the range. I'm a USCCA member and purchased a video on how to treat gun shot wounds, but would really like to take a class as you mentioned, in addition to the video (as you can never have enough training). Even though I carry a bit more ammo than the S&W M&P 2.0 9mm (17rds) or Glock G19 (15rds) that I also own with their standard mags, I find they are just a tad large for my taste in carry concealment (but please don't take this to mean that I disagree with those that feel comfortable carrying those size pistols).
I'm in the camp of doing everything possible to avoid a potentially deadly conflict and sincerely hope never to have to draw my firearm in such a conflict. But it's is better to have it and not need it, than to not have it at all. I want to thank you (as well as a previous member's posting), as it gives the flip slid of this topic showing there's no right or wrong way to carry, only that it should be in one's comfort zone to do so.

I normally don't carry any extras myself

Back