testtest

How much spare ammo do you all carry?

I usually carry a combat commander style 1911 (that means it’s not a Colt) it’s a super lightweight made from scandium and one ten round Wilson combat magazine in a custom rig that also holds a 750 lumin tail switch combat light (can you tell I like the word combat?) I always carry a spare mag because magazines are the most prone to failure and having a spare fixes your problem. I also carry two knives a spyderco for daily use and a karambit for extracting myself from a hands on situation. So the answer is one spare mag due to the possibility of failure.

Hey gang, I was curious how much spare ammo you all carry (and how). I'm currently carrying two spare mags in my pocket with ammo armor carriers. That gives me an extra 34 rounds of 9mm handy. I've known guys that just carry a J-frame or a something like a 911 with no spare ammo, but I've always had spare rounds. How about you all? And if you do, whats your favorite way to carry it?
Two spare mages

For my normal EDC, I carry 7+1 in my XDs9. No spares. Most daily situations, if anything happened that required me to engage, it would be a personal situation (i.e. me working in real estate that I own, solo) and I would hope that my practice regimen would have me on target within 8 shots.

I also own a live audio company (sound for live bands - fairs, nightclubs, parties, etc) and when I have an event, I do tend to carry a spare 8 on my belt in addition to the 7+1.

My overall thought process behind that is, I'm not a LEO and am not "obligated" to step in, regardless of personal threat. That said (and I hope I, or anyone here, never have to put any of this into practice), I like to think that I would evaluate the situation and decide quickly if one mag would solve things, or if the threat is too great and I'm better off not engaging, or exiting.

A PERSONAL threat? One mag should do the trick due to proximity.

A threat to one of my shows / one of my crowds / one of my bands? That's a tough call. I have sheepdog in me and I take my shows personally, and I would likely engage a single offender because, as "the guy" running the show and running the room, I tend to locate myself in a position with good overview of the entire room and crowd just so I can do my job - the tactical advantage is a side-effect. But a group of offenders? I don't know. It would depend on THAT situation, in THAT room, with THAT crowd and THAT offender(s).

All that said, I am VERY MUCH looking forward to the state of Maryland approving the Hellcat for sale (or winning one here!). I'm not one to have a lot of "stuff" hanging off my belt (mainly due to wardrobe and not wanting to freak out all the anti-gun folks, but also due to bend/twist/lift/stretch activities that I encounter every time I do a show), but I do like the idea of having the larger capacity within the firearm. Just in case.

When carrying my LCP, since it is just 6+1, and the magazines are so small, I almost always drop a spare magazine in one of my pockets. I almost always have a knife of some sort, but grew up carrying a pocket knife even to elementary school (back in those days, the teachers would observe us boys whittling sticks during recess at the edge of the playground, and it was not a big deal).

When I started carrying the XD-M Compact a year ago, I almost ALWAYS had a spare 19 round mag on my belt in a belt carrier. Recently, I tend to leave that at home for the same reasons as xdman - I am not a first responder or LEO, and odds are that I am in a gun fight are minimal, and it is more than likely 2 to 3 shots is all I would ever have to fire in a self defense situation. The 14 rounds in my XD-M compact are more than enough for most situations.

Not saying I won't carry spare mags, I just don't do it if the way I am dressing doesn't make it easy, and I don't sweat it anymore.

I've carried a J-Frame .38 special in the past with two some speed strips with six rounds each on them (I know, the J frame is a five rounder, but I thought it was good idea to use that sixth spot in each just in case I needed it). While the J-Frame was "fat" due to the cylinder, those 12 rounds on the speed strips were nice and flat in my pocket. That gave me 17 rounds total with it — which is pretty good for a wheelgun. I played around with speedloaders, but that was like carry two more cylinders. Way too bulky...

I carry a spare 9-round mag for my XD-S, which gives me a total of 16+1 rounds. When referring to magazines and possible malfunction, someone once said "two is one and one is none." I like to say that "I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

I guess I am also an odd duck. I am not a Leo/military and in all honesty am never going to be in a sustained firefight. I mean I really can‘t think of a situation were legally I am going to be justifiable going though a couple hi cap mags. cool I get the whole shtf and yes I carry a rifle in the truck and have an extra mag there. But **** the thought of carrying a couple pounds of ammo, gun, knife, multitool, wallet, keys etc sounds horrible. If you want the truth carrying the pistol instead of another mag I would rather have a tourniquet. You are more likely to need that then laying cover fire. If there is a mass casualty event an Ifak will make you more useful then an extra mag. Would also recommend at min a stop the bleed class to learn some basics of how to use an IFAK. USLaw Shield offers a gunshoot wound class and the surgeon that taught ours gave some high speed education on boo boos. Think about it an IFAK can come in handy in multiple situations Car Accidents, slips and falls, industrial accidents.....you know everyday stuff. As for Extra Ammo, I guess Im the meme of the guy sipping coffee at the table convince me otherwise. Hey if you carry extra ammo I am not putting you down, just my situation it doesn’t work for me.

I think that everyone has to find the balance for themselves - to some, just the act of carrying a defensive firearm is on the order of......

41maY%2BYcXdL.jpg

:)

The truth of the matter is that one person's overkill is just another's prepared. I think we all fall somewhere along this spectrum.

I've always carried a single spare magazine - a 19-round full-sized magazine that also works in my XDm9 3.8 Compact (which gives me 13+1 in-gun) - not necessarily for the extra rounds, but rather for stoppage reduction. My thinking is along the lines of: "On the worst day of my life, what's the chances that something else could possibly go wrong, too!" :D Given that the single most likely route of failure for modern duty/defensive-grade semiautomatic handguns is the magazine, the practice of carrying a spare magazine, for me, becomes cheap insurance.

But definitely, xdman, I think that more folks should take a deeper look into how to also EDC basic trauma supplies. Although today's news routinely features mass-casualty events, I really don't think that this should be the driving factor. Instead, the simple likelihood of everyday medical events such as motor vehicle collisions and even sporting incidents should give all of us incentive to look at increasing our basic medical-emergency knowledge, skills, and capabilities. For me, a friend's motorcycle accident as well as starting to take my daughter shooting with me prompted, in their own ways, the additions to my EDC (whether it be in-vehicle or on-body).

For those looking to make a fresh start with the new year, I'd recommend that you start gathering up the knowledge you need, now (various municipal entities offer popular "Stop the Bleed" courses), and aim for the month of May ("Stop the Bleed Month") to hit up North American Rescue for steep discounts on proven ( https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/first-aid-kit.196/ ) gear.

Last edited:
I guess I am also an odd duck. I am not a Leo/military and in all honesty am never going to be in a sustained firefight. I mean I really can‘t think of a situation were legally I am going to be justifiable going though a couple hi cap mags. cool I get the whole shtf and yes I carry a rifle in the truck and have an extra mag there. But **** the thought of carrying a couple pounds of ammo, gun, knife, multitool, wallet, keys etc sounds horrible. If you want the truth carrying the pistol instead of another mag I would rather have a tourniquet. You are more likely to need that then laying cover fire. If there is a mass casualty event an Ifak will make you more useful then an extra mag. Would also recommend at min a stop the bleed class to learn some basics of how to use an IFAK. USLaw Shield offers a gunshoot wound class and the surgeon that taught ours gave some high speed education on boo boos. Think about it an IFAK can come in handy in multiple situations Car Accidents, slips and falls, industrial accidents.....you know everyday stuff. As for Extra Ammo, I guess Im the meme of the guy sipping coffee at the table convince me otherwise. Hey if you carry extra ammo I am not putting you down, just my situation it doesn’t work for me.
I absolutely agree with any type of medical training and having supplies available, however I believe it's better to have and not need then need and not have...

Back