testtest

How To Carry a Concealed Pistol Comfortably and Confidently for the First Time

Hi,

When I first started carrying, a big concern was what position I wanted to carrying. For my first holster

Adjusting the cant of your holster (the angle of the gun) is important for a full, firm grip and smoother, quicker draw. I find I have to adjust mine occasionally depending on how many tacos I've had recently.

And that's my profound glimpse into the obvious for today. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Articles, and the accompanied opinions are valuable for everyone. Old timers and might get a nugget they never considered they can tuck away for further consideration.i am always a bit leary of those who think they have no room to learn and get better

New comers will have a place to start gathering information. Starting out can be daunting, and expensive, looking in my holster drawer. More information is better.

Last edited:
I first started carrying a concealed handgun legally in 2007. I had no experience with concealed carry and not much relevant experience with handguns.

I looked on the internet for advice and I ended up at THR.

One of the first things that I read about was something called The Walmart Walk. Apparently the idea was to strap on your new handgun and go walk around Walmart. It was Immersion Therapy, the idea being that you would realize by doing that that your concealed handgun didn't glow in the dark and not everybody in the store knew you were carrying a gun.

The only thing that I can probably add to this discussion is it one of the biggest lessons that I learned when I first started carrying was go buy the good holster first.

I wasted a lot of money on cheap nylon holsters before I finally talked my wife into letting me buy a Galco holster.

I realize that Galco is not a premium brand but it is at least a good entry level holster and it was certainly better quality than the Fobus holsters I was buying.

I only have two guns in my "Carry Rotation" but when I bought both of them I ordered a Kramer Leather holster for each pistol the day I bought the gun.

I think I learned a lot from carrying a gun at work. At work I had to open carry but it was just there and everybody knew it and after a while it became a real non-event. Except for when I had some idiot client employee who either wanted to know why I thought I needed to carry a gun at work (Because your employer told me to. If you have an issue with that take it up with them) or let me know that he knew it wasn't loaded or that it wasn't real.

I don't think any client employee ever tried to take it from me. I heard somebody tried that with a guard on another site and got their wrist broke but since I didn't see it I can't verify it.

And finally, in case anybody's wondering (and you're probably not) this is the song that was playing on the radio my other first time.

It's funny how my mind goes there every time I hear this song
Now that would be a hard rhythm to keep!!! Maybe for a 'quicky', but the first time????

If it's too uncomfortable, you won't carry it all the time..
Well yeah might as well say that’s why why no one would carry a MK 19.

I believe Clint’s point was deal with it. Or don’t carry but you won’t or Can’t have both!

Lots of marketing gimmicks to take part of a grip contour down or longer slide and shorter grip to not print BS

I’m of the “if you’re going to carry, always carry” camp. If you only carry when “I’m I a dangerous situation” you’d be far better off to just avoid that situation. 😏. Since I can’t foretell the future I carry all day, everyday, and have now for decades. I’ve tried a large number of handgun, holster combo’s over the years (and have a full “holster box” to prove it🙄. Like many (most?) I learned that if it’s NOT comfortable I find myself going back to tried and true that is. For many years a S&W J frame or a Sig 938 has ridden in the strong side front pocket of my Levi’s (in a Mika holster). Either one in that condition is a “forget it’s on” combination and allows me to always meet the first rule “have a gun”. In recent years I’ve also found a 3” EMP in a belt holster or IWB (Alien gear) will carry AND conceal very well under a T shirt or sweatshirt (daily wear) and pretty well under a polo shirt. I’m a jeans and pullover shirt guy so this works well for ME without having to dress around the gun. I “have” toted a 19 glock, a 66 Smith a CZ 75, a 5” 1911 and even (just to prove to myself I could) a 4 5/8” Super Blackhawk😳. In every case I “could” conceal if I dressed for it. Usually I could find a holster that’d work, but eventually comfort and/or the need to dress a given way led me back to my standards. YOU have to determine what works for you. I’ve always got a kick out of the folks in cold climates who carry a bigger gun in cold weather ‘cause they can hide it under a coat. Sure, you can hide it, but can you get to it quickly? Under a fastened heavy winter coat? If it’s not “there” when you need it, it’s not going to help you. I have no fantasy’s about engaging a mob of terrorists or psychopathic mass shooters-my sole purpose is to protect myself and those I love. If somebody else is with us, I’ll cover them as well, and if a could help someone fine, but I have no intention to move into an unknown situation where firing is happening if I can avoid it. YMMV

Last edited:
I read an article by Tom Givens a few days ago (I have seen it before) in which he presented the results of a study he did of former students who had to defend themselves with a gun. He examined just under 70 cases. Of the folks who were carrying, none were killed. Three people WHO WERE NOT CARRYING were killed. The lesson — carry your d~~~~d gun!

There used to be a video on YouTube of another instructor going over Tom Givens' stats. I have posted it before but I can't find it now.

But according to what I've read 63 of Tom given students have been involved in a shooting incident.

Number 64 was robbed at gun point. He was armed but the criminal caught him cold so he gave up his wallet and the criminal let him live.

Of the 63 free were unarmed and murdered. According to Givens they "forfeited" their gun fights by not being armed.

Of the 60 remaining 85% of them were involved in a gunfight and a transitional space, most frequently a parking lot, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.. (There's a lesson right there if you look for it.)

Of the 60 the number of shots fired were between 3 and 11 rounds and the distance was between 1 & 2 car lengths.

The parking lots were not all gas station parking lots. Some more mall parking lots, some were grocery store parking lots, one was in the person's driveway.

The other 15% occurred in the student's house but still what fell within the three to 11 rounds.

I read an article by Tom Givens a few days ago (I have seen it before) in which he presented the results of a study he did of former students who had to defend themselves with a gun. He examined just under 70 cases. Of the folks who were carrying, none were killed. Three people WHO WERE NOT CARRYING were killed. The lesson — carry your d~~~~d gun!
I’ve been through the Rangemaster basic and advanced instructor course with Tom Givens. You should take his classes. He’s phenomenal.

Also the study you quoted was from folks that took his classes he has a database of 60,000 students (many of us have taken multiple classes from him and 1,500 or of of us have done the instructor course)

The ones that died complies just like the experts said to do and they were assassinated anyway. A large percentage of his graduates are around Memphis if that tells you anything.

I also laugh when I hear people talk about they are going to bigger cities so they are gonna “gun up” like carry a bigger gun more magazines even silly talk of a rifle in the car they normally don’t have and I’m like them maybe you shouldn’t go!!!!! Joys as a civilian you aren’t answering calls at stupid places with stupid people doing stupid stuff so tap out!!!

I’ve been through the Rangemaster basic and advanced instructor course with Tom Givens. You should take his classes. He’s phenomenal.

Also the study you quoted was from folks that took his classes he has a database of 60,000 students (many of us have taken multiple classes from him and 1,500 or of of us have done the instructor course)

The ones that died complies just like the experts said to do and they were assassinated anyway. A large percentage of his graduates are around Memphis if that tells you anything.

I also laugh when I hear people talk about they are going to bigger cities so they are gonna “gun up” like carry a bigger gun more magazines even silly talk of a rifle in the car they normally don’t have and I’m like them maybe you shouldn’t go!!!!! Joys as a civilian you aren’t answering calls at stupid places with stupid people doing stupid stuff so tap out!!!
Thanks for your posts, ECS686 and Night Rider. I appreciate you “fleshing out” my reference. I happen to live in the Memphis metro and completely understand the crime problem here. I have shot at Tom’s range back before it closed but have never taken one of his courses. I really respect what he has done and is doing, though, to help folks provide for their own safety. I also appreciate his study of real life incidents and personally think his study was completely unbiased. Well worth reading for those of us who are prepared to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

Thanks again!

Just a consideration fellas. Idk where you’re all from as this is only my second post, but where I’m from everyone is wearing a cell phone, leatherman, knife on their hip. Most are construction workers, and have something stuffed in a pocket, tape measure hanging on a belt, etc. I appreciate many could notice and understand someone crooked is looking for it. I take pains to ensure they can’t see and it’s important all think that way.
Just wanted to add that thought.

When I’m not working I am in non 511 apparel and I get out of a Subaru Crosstrek with an IU hat on if that don’t throw them off the scent trail not sure what does LOL
I have recently become enamored with 5.11. They make great stuff. I only wear it at the range or milling around the homestead.

Back