testtest

How to Control Recoil When Shooting a Handgun

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The firing grip is important. The hand should ride as high on the grip as possible with a self-loading pistol. The hand must ride high on a revolver backstrap as well — to offer good leverage for the finger to press the double-action revolver trigger, straight to the rear.

1708215112966.png

Good article. There is also large psychological component to managing flinch. In my opinion many instructors don't do enough to prepare the novice shooter to overcome the instinctive tendency to react to the shot. Train the mind as well as the physical skills to get a better outcome.
I like to start students off with a hearty, vigorous "high five" hand slap, and then tell them "Did that hurt? No? It was harder on your hand than this pistol recoil is gonna be." That's a real confidence builder. ;) (y)

I like to start students off with a hearty, vigorous "high five" hand slap, and then tell them "Did that hurt? No? It was harder on your hand than this pistol recoil is gonna be." That's a real confidence builder. ;) (y)

I like to start students off with a .44 Magnum that way everything else seems tame by comparison. lol

And not some user friendly .44 Magnum either. Straight to the Super Blackhawk. :cool:

Just know that there are limits. I’ve shot a bunch of .44 Mag from SBH’s and my model 69. I’m way past the point there full boat .44 mags. I’ll hunt with ‘em, but to bang a steel plate I’ll take “Special”equivalent loads every time. LGS got a new .500 Smith when they first came out. That particular revolver was sold THREE times while still on the first box of cartridges😊. Young bucks would come in and buy the “baddest” thing out there, take it home, burn a few rounds, and trade it cause they couldn’t stand the pain😊.

Back