testtest

How to Process Meat for Survival Situations

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Whether it's a deer, cow or anything else, it's important to understand how to process your own meat. Here is a step-by-step guide to butchering meat by yourself.

How to Process Meat for Survival Situations

meat-process-guide-01-1200x800.jpg

Actually, thanks for the info... as a city boy growing up in the foster system, then an Army career all over the world I've never hunted, but always wish I had and wish I learned this info... just in case ever needed. (Now that I'm older, I'm seeing this world, this country going to ****... probably be dead before it ever happens but now thirsting for survival knowledge. lol)

Actually, thanks for the info... as a city boy growing up in the foster system, then an Army career all over the world I've never hunted, but always wish I had and wish I learned this info... just in case ever needed. (Now that I'm older, I'm seeing this world, this country going to ****... probably be dead before it ever happens but now thirsting for survival knowledge. lol)
You are never too ole to go hunting.
They have hunting trips no matter your still or physical condition.

Our family has been processing our meat since I helped grandparents as a kid . Chickens were hung on the cloth line. Cattle in the driveway and Hogs in the garage. We still do it today. Deer and fish anything we can harvest. We did 9 deer last season.
That is how some of my familia in Argentina still do as well on their ranch.
Nothing like flavour of meats/fowls with zero antibiotics and steroids unlike the US beef and chickens have.

I learned about butchering at about age 5 holding chickens on the chopping block while my Mom swung the axe. Butchering hogs and steers was a family event when the weather got cold enough. My Dad taught me to skin rabbits and squirrels and I carried that over to deer and wild hogs. We trapped so many hogs we had to develop a system for butchering quickly. My posse of 6 can butcher 8 hogs in 2 hours using poachers cut.

Attachments

• Table.jpg
    Table.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 90
Good article can never learn to much about processing meat. Must be nice to be able to haul something out and hang it. Everything I get is to far to pack out whole or too large (elk) and has to be done in the field.

Great article! Over the span of 10 years or so I went from novice hunter to owning all my own butchering supplies down to a meat slicer. My wife is not one for deer meat but I can get around that by making some Japanese curry with the tenderloins and spaghetti with the burger I ground up. Lots of things to do out there with the meat to keep it fresh! Did anyone see the episode of meat eater where Steve uses the silver skin to make meatballs? I’ve wanted to try that out!

Back