testtest

How to sharpen your knife

I can't speak highly enough of my experience with both work sharp machines. In the beginning the original work sharp was offered to me through the limited 50% program from the NRA. I still have the machine 10yrs later and have NEVER been disappointed. I was offered the Ken Onion machine with and extra sharpening attachment back in May for a good discount, I jumped on it. Both of these machines will get blades of the hardest steels scalpel sharp in minutes.

Worth every dime!!
They're many belts from other manufacturers that can further your sharpening quest.
Diamond
Ceramic
Leather

I can't speak highly enough of my experience with both work sharp machines. In the beginning the original work sharp was offered to me through the limited 50% program from the NRA. I still have the machine 10yrs later and have NEVER been disappointed. I was offered the Ken Onion machine with and extra sharpening attachment back in May for a good discount, I jumped on it. Both of these machines will get blades of the hardest steels scalpel sharp in minutes.

Worth every dime!!
They're many belts from other manufacturers that can further your sharpening quest.
Diamond
Ceramic
Leather
Worksharp has been a life saver when a group of 6 of us are butchering up 8 hogs at a time. Gott keep those blades sharp and the worksharp keeps us going

I just got into knife sharpening about a year ago. The Worksharp prodcuts, my favorite being the portable field sharpener, has allowed me to practice and keep improving my skills. I've got a long way to go, but I very much enjoy the process of sharpening knives. Never really understood how much skill goes into it, but I'm learning. My biggest realization was going with the shape of the blade while I'm sharpening, and being consistent on both sides. I've got my wife complaining that her kitchen knives are TOO sharp now...lol, so I guess I'm getting better...lol

I've got my wife complaining that her kitchen knives are TOO sharp now...lol, so I guess I'm getting better...lol
When I sharpen knives for friends I tell them I want a liability waiver signed before I return it. Seriously though my visiting eldest daughter cut herself pretty good when cutting veggies during a family gathering. She said she never had used a knife that sharp, so I guess warnings are in order.

When I sharpen knives for friends I tell them I want a liability waiver signed before I return it. Seriously though my visiting eldest daughter cut herself pretty good when cutting veggies during a family gathering. She said she never had used a knife that sharp, so I guess warnings are in order.
Sounds like you have it down pat sir....lol. I didn't to too well on my first few but I got some tips from my maintenance supervisor at work, he's an old school knife sharpener and actually recommended the work Worksharp field sharpener I use now. I just kept practicing on any and all knives I could find, which I didn't realize how many knives I actually had..lol. There's always room to improve and I think it'll be several years before I'm confident in my technique enough to sharpen for family and friends but I sure do enjoy doing it. I'm not sure if it's just because I like them personally or what but Buck brand knives seem to take an edge awfully well and easily. I have several old Buck knives that I've bought over the years and those have all sharpened up very well, mostly because they keep an edge so long but I'd like to think I was able to bring a few of them back to a very fine edge. My son bought me a Buck Special #119 for Father's Day and it may be the sharpest knife I've ever seen right out of the box. It's quickly become my favorite knife for a multitude of reasons.

Sounds like you have it down pat sir....lol. I didn't to too well on my first few but I got some tips from my maintenance supervisor at work, he's an old school knife sharpener and actually recommended the work Worksharp field sharpener I use now. I just kept practicing on any and all knives I could find, which I didn't realize how many knives I actually had..lol. There's always room to improve and I think it'll be several years before I'm confident in my technique enough to sharpen for family and friends but I sure do enjoy doing it. I'm not sure if it's just because I like them personally or what but Buck brand knives seem to take an edge awfully well and easily. I have several old Buck knives that I've bought over the years and those have all sharpened up very well, mostly because they keep an edge so long but I'd like to think I was able to bring a few of them back to a very fine edge. My son bought me a Buck Special #119 for Father's Day and it may be the sharpest knife I've ever seen right out of the box. It's quickly become my favorite knife for a multitude of reasons.
Those are great looking knives. I think I'll buy one.

So, there's a reason my name is "Woodsman". I restore axes and other edged (and non edged) tools. All of my edges are shaving sharp. I won't swing an axe unless it shaves. My tomahawks are the same way.
My preferred tools are various sized
files (sizes also determine how fine the teeth get) the puck whetstone, several polishing stones, leather strop glued to wooden block with green jeweler's compound.

I like kerosene/diesel for my fluid but often use water for it's simplicity.
Stones and puck are used in a circular motion for time per side starting with 2 mins then in one minute increments from there.

I am a stickler for keen edges because my life may depend on them in the woods. I will not tolerate a dull edge that should be sharp. Even my shovels are sharp (though not razor, just clean)

Happy to offer advice if anyone has questions

Would you recommend the Work Sharp sharpener? I buy new knives instead of sharpening. I should stop.
I have a hard time go giving my opinion on it because I've never used it but I do know some fellas that use them and love them. Heat is my concern with any belt sander.
I do know there are angle guides for edges which is incredibly helpful.
Overall, my opinion, if you don't mind buying the belts regularly, yes I do. I think it's better than some options by far. I personally will stick with my stones and files because I enjoy the meditative exercise.

I would still advise a leather strop (on a block or as a strap) to really hone that edge to scary sharp but for a working edge, that work sharp will still get it plenty sharp.

I am a terrible person. I'll take a $200 S30V steel knife and run it through my regular old electric sharpener in the garage. And since I can't fit the *entire* blade into the mechanism, I end up sharpening about 80% of the blade. The area closest to my hand remains the same as the day I bought it, and I slowly grind away the metal, giving it an awful, uneven look to the blade.

I know, to many of you, that was like running my nails up and down a chalkboard. Sorry.

I guess I've just never dedicated the money for a nice sharpening system. [[[Looks Sideways]]]

I am a terrible person. I'll take a $200 S30V steel knife and run it through my regular old electric sharpener in the garage. And since I can't fit the *entire* blade into the mechanism, I end up sharpening about 80% of the blade. The area closest to my hand remains the same as the day I bought it, and I slowly grind away the metal, giving it an awful, uneven look to the blade.

I know, to many of you, that was like running my nails up and down a chalkboard. Sorry.

I guess I've just never dedicated the money for a nice sharpening system. [[[Looks Sideways]]]
If you ship it to me I will make it happy again

A well sharpened knife is a bit like a pistol with a very light trigger pull - sometimes you get surprised !!

Back