testtest

How to sharpen your knife

If you ship it to me I will make it happy again

Where are you located ?

I sharpen my own with stones and a strop ( I have the strop for my straight razor, which I am nowhere near good enough to trust myself sharpening, but I strop it after every shave). I have a few knives I'm a little scared to do myself. A few have multiple blade shapes like my Boker Kalashnikovs.

You ought to write up a little primer. My biggest fear is getting the wrong blade angle. I only started sharpening my own knives a few years ago when my old man, a retired butcher, got sick of doing it for me and gave me his stones, including his Japanese water stone. Advice on getting and keeping the right angle as well as technique would be helpful. :)

Where are you located ?

I sharpen my own with stones and a strop ( I have the strop for my straight razor, which I am nowhere near good enough to trust myself sharpening, but I strop it after every shave). I have a few knives I'm a little scared to do myself. A few have multiple blade shapes like my Boker Kalashnikovs.

You ought to write up a little primer. My biggest fear is getting the wrong blade angle. I only started sharpening my own knives a few years ago when my old man, a retired butcher, got sick of doing it for me and gave me his stones, including his Japanese water stone. Advice on getting and keeping the right angle as well as technique would be helpful. :)
Water stones are fantastic if you don't mind making it into a process. I personally like the process.
I don't have much experience with them but it's a back and forth technique from what I've seen. The slurry that develops helps polish the edge.

It's honestly trial and error and doing it like with anything else.
I reckon I'll do a little primer on my method.

Where are you located ?

I'd get this for your knife. It's designed for scythes and sickles and will work beautifully on the curved edge.

I'm in the States (Iowa).

What is “ This”?

Iowa. So just north of me a few hours. I’m near St. Louis.
Forgot the link lol
Can be had for about $10. That shape is designed for curved edges and can be used for ordinary knives

I've been using the Sypderco Tri-Angle sharpener followed by a leather strop since the 90s and gotten great results.

I've been using the Sypderco Tri-Angle sharpener followed by a leather strop since the 90s and gotten great results.

That price, to me, is ridiculous. All the tools I own for sharpening don't add up to half of that but if it works for you..

A.G. Russell knives HQ is about 15 minutes north from my house. Went up there this weekend, they've just now opened the store back up for shopping. They had some pretty good deals going this weekend. I could have easily spent several thousand dollars on their inventory..lol, however, I did find a couple of nice knives for better prices than I could find them online. I picked these two up.

First one is a Old Timer "Copperhead". I was very surprised to get this knife for $15.00. It has a really nice grip and a high quality sheath. I was even more surprised with how sharp it was out of the box, no need to sharpen it, which to be honest, I was a bit disappointed...lol, but pleasantly so.

1632142399427.jpeg

2nd knife was a Buck# 656 Large Pursuit which was also razor sharp and comes with a very nice sheath. Picked it up for $45.00

0656GRS-B.jpg

So did pretty good for $60.00. I have to pick which one I'm going to give to my son and which one I want to keep. Both are very good quality knives, but to be honest, I just like to see the look on his face when he gets a new knife. He likes knives like I like guns...lol

Does anyone have any experience with a brand of knife called "Perkin"? The guy at AG Russell said they're imported from the UK and are supposed to be very good quality. They had some really cool looking knives and most of them were on sale but I'd already bought the other two and I've never really heard of Perkin before. Just curious if anyone knew anything about them.

I can't speak highly enough of my experience with both work sharp machines. In the beginning the original work sharp was offered to me through the limited 50% program from the NRA. I still have the machine 10yrs later and have NEVER been disappointed. I was offered the Ken Onion machine with and extra sharpening attachment back in May for a good discount, I jumped on it. Both of these machines will get blades of the hardest steels scalpel sharp in minutes.

Worth every dime!!
They're many belts from other manufacturers that can further your sharpening quest.
Diamond
Ceramic
Leather
So I clicked on the Ken Onion link and bought one from Amazon.
Works great! I will save money sharpening knives instead of always buying a new. Victorinox stock may sink. Thank you.

^ to which....
That price, to me, is ridiculous. All the tools I own for sharpening don't add up to half of that but if it works for you..

^ Street-price should be less than $80.

There are similar units now by Lansky and WorkSharp, each retailing for around half that.

I really don't remember how much mine cost - also dating back to around the 90s - but I want to say that it was *significantly* less than the $80 that it retails for today.

I've used it and loaned it out quite a bit, and it is still a favorite, but for speed/ease, I really appreciate my WorkSharp Ken Onion.

Stones & leather (rough side) with jewelers rouge.
Stone on the bench, not in your hand as the video shows.
Coarse or medium to start if required, heavier pressure.
Finish with the Arkansas soft white, light to very light pressure,
then the leather stretched tight on a block of wood
with rouge, and again, on the bench not in the hand, and
only a pass or two required.
The angle? Varies with the tool and material to be cut.
Seldom have a full arm of hair due to the final QC.

Finally, its in the metal Dude. Quality metal gives a razor
edge, inferior metal can never be sharpened properly
or hold an edge, even the air will dull it.
Files approved for some tools, go slow, don't allow the
heat to build ( and why power sharpening is a no no,
the heat alters the metal properties).

Its even in the Scriptures; something like "a dull edge
requires more labor".

I could never get the hang of being consistent with the angle so I just bought the Wicked Edge sharpener and lived happily ever after. It is expensive but worth it to me as I can sharpen any blade I have. I can also record the degree angle/edge profile for each knife and repeat it when touch ups are needed. Takes all the frustration out. It's also very easy to change the profile of the edge.

I could never get the hang of being consistent with the angle so I just bought the Wicked Edge sharpener and lived happily ever after. It is expensive but worth it to me as I can sharpen any blade I have. I can also record the degree angle/edge profile for each knife and repeat it when touch ups are needed. Takes all the frustration out. It's also very easy to change the profile of the edge.
$1100.00? Ahemmm...........Only if I were running a business and creating revenue with it.

Stone sharpening just is not that difficult.

With a lot of bull calves going into steers my dad and granddad were good at sharpening knives. Nothing worse than sawing off your nuts with a dull blade! Torching them might be worse:unsure::whistle:🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Back