testtest

i already knew there wasn't much hope...of a longer life

Old_Me

Ronin
i got a '22 Toyota Corolla, LOVE the car, wife has an older one. we LOVE our Toyota's

my first was a 2010 Camry

got up to 50,000 miles, on the set of factory tires.....this means rotations when due, or just before, as well as factory oil changes.

ok, now this '22....i got like nearly 30,000 miles, and it'll need tires by Oct/Nov.......

like WTF....

again, I know that out of the factory..NO car maker puts the best of the best tires on new cars.....there ARE exceptions however, to higher dollar cars

when i turned wrenches, i told my customers to expect to buy tires in like 4-5 years, maybe 6

of course, that was decades ago.

like anything else, materials are cheaper, and things cheaply made.

Toyota dealer sells Toyo tires, i am familiar with them, i want at the very least a 75,000 mile tire

Hankook, which i sold at my garage came to the states, with a lifetime warranty.

today, they have a tire that can go up to 100,000 miles.

got plenty of time yet, to decide.....the Toyota dealers pricing on the Toyo tires are inline with tire dealers.

i got a '22 Toyota Corolla, LOVE the car, wife has an older one. we LOVE our Toyota's

got up to 50,000 miles, on the set of factory tires.....this means rotations when due, or just before, as well as factory oil changes.

ok, now this '22....i got like nearly 30,000 miles, and it'll need tires by Oct/Nov.......

like WTF....

again, I know that out of the factory..NO car maker puts the best of the best tires on new cars.....there ARE exceptions however, to higher dollar cars

when i turned wrenches, i told my customers to expect to buy tires in like 4-5 years, maybe 6

Toyota dealer sells Toyo tires, i am familiar with them, i want at the very least a 75,000 mile tire

Hankook, which i sold at my garage came to the states, with a lifetime warranty.

got plenty of time yet, to decide.....the Toyota dealers pricing on the Toyo tires are inline with tire dealers.
You ever check into Hercules tires, last set I bought for my wife’s Jeep were 75,000 mile tires….

like WTF....

My wife's Honda came with Goodyear Assurance tires....we got 65,000 out of them. We currently have a set of them on the car again....currently have 50,000 on them and have plenty of tread left. Bought these at Wal Mart for much less than from most other dealers

I had to have a set of Firestones installed two years ago this coming May, because I picked up some obnoxious bent king sized washer and it ended up in the sidewall.. :mad:. Happened on a Saturday afternoon and the only place in Fargo open with time on a Sunday was a Firestone place in West Fargo. They have been good so far. They are 60,000 mile tire and I have had to repair two. I pick upside weird :poop: sometimes, and I don't even drive back alleys or construction sites..😒. I commute so I put lot of mile on. I've got about 40,000 on these right now (give or take). They are very good on snow and ice. Mister wants to put kevlar on them when they're due. Hey, if he's paying...😌

I've tried to buy Cooper tires at every opportunity since almost as long back as I can remember. I have a couple reasons for it, but mainly these days because they are one of only 2 tire brands "Made in America". For those who don't know, Cooper was bought by Goodyear back in 2021. Now, both of these tire makers have plants outside the US, but they are still considered American made since they supposedly manufacture according to American standards and materials wherever the plant. Even with that I always look for the American plant build code on the ones I buy.

At any rate, my first experience with Coopers was racing tires on my stock cars back in the early 1970's if I remember correctly. At the time they were so superior to anything else we could find to race on, I just took it for granted they would also be top notch on my daily drivers.

Just about a year ago I replaced all 8 tires on both my pick-up truck and my wife's 'grocery-gitter'. No more miles than we drive these days, I usually don't even worry about the mileage. Our ties will age out for replacement long before we wear them out.

75,000 mile tire freaks me out. Just because a tire can go that long doesn’t mean it should. I don’t trust a tire that will go more than 20,000 miles! I’m looking for adhesion and stability at high speed, not using the same set of tires until the kids graduate from high school. Horses for courses. I used to run Dunlop Star Specs on my track spec Miata. One pair went up in smoke inside of three months. Even I was appalled.
IMG_1095.jpeg

☝️☝️☝️ What he says makes perfect sense. No tire, regardless of the mileage guarantee should be run after about 6-7 years old without a internal inspection by a knowledgeable tire tech. At that age the tire begins to give up, the rubber dries and begins to abrade quite easily, the steel belts begin to rust from inside (causing 'zippering'), and rebound ability is almost non-existent due to the dried rubber. Obviously there are some extenuating circumstances involved, but in general about 6-7 years is the useful and SAFE lifetime of most road/highway tires. Just a little food for thought.

BTW, nice looking Miata, and exactly the right color. Only way it could be any better is if it were a Chevy! LOL! Jus' kiddn' y'all.

I generally get 100k-110k miles on my F-150's and Silverados. Keep in mind I drive 100k+ every year. Used Bridgestone, Goodyear, Hankook, many other lines...never saw much difference between them. Keep in mind that an AWD car can rip through a set of tires quite fast (much faster than 2WD). I can't afford "performance" soft-compound tires with my mileage.

You ever check into Hercules tires, last set I bought for my wife’s Jeep were 75,000 mile tires….
Hankook tires came on my new 21 CRV. The only thing they were good for was catching nails! In 3 months I had 4 flat tires. I purchased 4 Cooper tires and have never had an issue. My wife has a civic and same thing Cooper tires and no issues.
I like Michelins for cars. Running a set of Coopers on my truck, first time with this brand.
My wife's Honda came with Goodyear Assurance tires....we got 65,000 out of them. We currently have a set of them on the car again....currently have 50,000 on them and have plenty of tread left. Bought these at Wal Mart for much less than from most other dealers
☝️☝️☝️ What he says makes perfect sense. No tire, regardless of the mileage guarantee should be run after about 6-7 years old without a internal inspection by a knowledgeable tire tech. At that age the tire begins to give up, the rubber dries and begins to abrade quite easily, the steel belts begin to rust from inside (causing 'zippering'), and rebound ability is almost non-existent due to the dried rubber. Obviously there are some extenuating circumstances involved, but in general about 6-7 years is the useful and SAFE lifetime of most road/highway tires. Just a little food for thought.

BTW, nice looking Miata, and exactly the right color. Only way it could be any better is if it were a Chevy! LOL! Jus' kiddn' y'all.
I generally get 100k-110k miles on my F-150's and Silverados. Keep in mind I drive 100k+ every year. Used Bridgestone, Goodyear, Hankook, many other lines...never saw much difference between them. Keep in mind that an AWD car can rip through a set of tires quite fast (much faster than 2WD). I can't afford "performance" soft-compound tires with my mileage.
all good feed back, thanks.

never heard of Hercules, i will check them out.

here we have tire chain stores, and frankly i try to stay away from the chain stores, mostly cuz of past experiences watching those nitwits use an air impact tool sock on the lug nuts, and not properly torquing the lug nuts, and snapping off the studs. then all the "extra commissioned sales, like in my case..TPMS valve stems..the Toyota dealer says they DO NOT replace them until thier batteries die..Firestone said YOU MUST REPLACE THEM....BS......

i will not put up with that stupid :poop: don't forget, i was a mechanic years ago, i know stupid and sloppy wrench turners when i see them.....

the other tire stores we have here are family owned, and more trust worthy. (this does not include the above Firestone, Goodyear, Discount tire stores, etc, as mentioned above)

i actually did business with one in the past, i might give them another try.......

i'd at least like a good to excellent all seasons tire, that "can go up to" 75,000 miles, and i know, that is not guaranteed any tire will......i am not looking specifically for the actual warranty as i am for the mileage they can go.

i want at the very least to be able to go a full 4 to 5 years before the next tire purchase, not this stupid :poop: of not even 4 years. to have to buy tires at 3 year intervals just doesn't do it for me.

I've tried to buy Cooper tires at every opportunity since almost as long back as I can remember. I have a couple reasons for it, but mainly these days because they are one of only 2 tire brands "Made in America". For those who don't know, Cooper was bought by Goodyear back in 2021. Now, both of these tire makers have plants outside the US, but they are still considered American made since they supposedly manufacture according to American standards and materials wherever the plant. Even with that I always look for the American plant build code on the ones I buy.

At any rate, my first experience with Coopers was racing tires on my stock cars back in the early 1970's if I remember correctly. At the time they were so superior to anything else we could find to race on, I just took it for granted they would also be top notch on my daily drivers.

Just about a year ago I replaced all 8 tires on both my pick-up truck and my wife's 'grocery-gitter'. No more miles than we drive these days, I usually don't even worry about the mileage. Our ties will age out for replacement long before we wear them out.
the guy that manages our pig lease , works at a cooper plant near texarkana, they make tons of trucks tires there,,,
he drives the locomotive that connects rails cars full of tires to the pickup point
now back to our topic at hand :ROFLMAO: (y)

I’ve run BFG Advantage T/A’s on our last 2 vehicles—all SUV’s (RAV4, CRV) and have been very happy, particularly in snow.

That being said, my wife’s equinox is going to need new tires soon, and I think I’ll put Michelin Defenders on it; it’s a FWD, not AWD, and when we ran defenders on her former Altima, the wet/snow traction increased tremendously.

No matter what brand you purchase at the 6 year time frame they ain't safe anymore. You can't even get them repaired at that point.
That really depends on a few factors, and typically the 8 to 10 year birthday is a good time to shop for replacement tires. Just keep an eye out for cracking on the sidewalls and between the treads.

I don't do burnouts and I don't enjoy hydroplaning, but I do like to take corners as fast as conditions will allow so I have to keep an eye on tread depth and usually wear a tire down before it begins to dry rot.

Back