testtest

I Pulled The Trigger.

Yes, they take a special tool. Usually you never need to do anything to them other than put a little oil on them so they won't rust. I don't know if you've ever had another rifle that you can't clean the barrel from the receiver end. The the M1, on the M1A you have 2 options. You can use a pull-through cable system like the Otis or Kleen Bore kits or you can insert a cleaning rod at the muzzle. If you're going to us a metal cleaning rod be careful to prevent muzzle erosion caused by metal on metal contact. I use fiberglass rods on my M1s and M1As for this reason.
One of the videos I watched the guy used the Otis cable cleaning system, I’m assuming the cable is vinyl coated?

So I know I said I wasn’t going with an optic and I do plan on shooting the M1A with the iron sights but after some research on scopes I’ve ordered the scope mount due to arrive next week and although I was looking at another Sig Sierra3BDX unfortunately the cost was just more then I wanted to spend so I went with a Vortex DiamondBack Tactical 6-24X50 I will follow up with my first range visit.

Held a standard M1A, a Scout, and a Socom today. One major thing I couldn't get past was the irons. The rear aperture does not agree with my eyes. I am torn on getting one now. Also, cleaning/disassembly was a bit intimidating lol

So this morning was M1A cleaning day, I took it slow and focused on the chamber, barrel and bolt face.
Disassembly was not difficult at all, I did struggle putting the bolt back in but just stayed patient and eventually found the perfect angle and it dropped right in. I did find the slightest of a bur on one edge of the bolt that a little filing took care of. Assembly was very easy and checking how it loads a round out of the magazine was smooth and showed positive engagement of the bolt going into battery. Every part of the action is built very beefy and solid, definitely a true battle rifle.
The Scope Mount according to FedEx is due to be delivered Tuesday even though it shows already here in Louisville at the sort center 😡
(come on FedEx put it on a truck today)

Last edited:
Check
I believe that if you are planning on shooting hogs with it using "hunting" ammo you may need to change out the gas plug. It's recommended to do the same with the M1. With each new rifle comes a list of new accessories!

Schusters a great! I think its the first thing that a M1A needs. Better recoil management and a cleaner piston.

I would also recommend the Sadlak mag release. https://www.sadlak.com/m1a-store?page=3
Depending on your environment and use (if surpressed)a TiNi piston might be advisable.

So here is my first range report on my new M1A Standard .308
This is a basic no frills report with no targets to show as my target was a large lump of wood sitting on the ground at 100 yards. My intent was to put rounds through the gun down range to check the function of the gun.
70 rounds through the gun.
40 were Winchester.
10 Red tip
10 Soft lead tip
20 Match 168 Grain HPBT
30 were Hornaday.
10 were soft lead tip
20 were red tip.
In general 7 failed to go completely into battery, all reloaded into a magazine and fired.
2 failed to eject after firing.
1 failed to cycle completely after ejection and reload.
The iron sites were spot on out of the box, basically every shot into that hunk of tree that bounced all over the ground from direct hits.
I got a lot of great comments on the gun.
My take a complete success and now I’m looking forward to installing the scope and spending an afternoon sighting it in at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

So here is my first range report on my new M1A Standard .308
This is a basic no frills report with no targets to show as my target was a large lump of wood sitting on the ground at 100 yards. My intent was to put rounds through the gun down range to check the function of the gun.
70 rounds through the gun.
40 were Winchester.
10 Red tip
10 Soft lead tip
20 Match 168 Grain HPBT
30 were Hornaday.
10 were soft lead tip
20 were red tip.
In general 7 failed to go completely into battery, all reloaded into a magazine and fired.
2 failed to eject after firing.
1 failed to cycle completely after ejection and reload.
The iron sites were spot on out of the box, basically every shot into that hunk of tree that bounced all over the ground from direct hits.
I got a lot of great comments on the gun.
My take a complete success and now I’m looking forward to installing the scope and spending an afternoon sighting it in at 100, 200 and 300 yards.
Hmmm ... a little over 14% failure rate (10/17) is a success?

Following my documented concern with what I saw as being an ongoing issue with the BCG in my Savage MSR10 Hunter AR Chambered in .308 I’ve been contemplating selling it. Yesterday I stopped by the outdoor range which has a fantastic store, I was looking for a Springfield XD-M in 10mm unfortunately that was not available but what they did have was something I had been looking at for months. There on the long gun shelf was a beautiful rifle chambered in .308 and sported a beautiful walnut stock, yes I’m dragging this out and yes I brought it home. I had to go back today and took my Savage AR all the PMags and case. And they gave me a great price for everything so I walked out with my new rifle for slightly over $500.00 dollars.

View attachment 20246
View attachment 20247

View attachment 20248
Congrats! You are going to love it.

So scope Mount installed and Vortex scope mounted and off to the range this morning, and I was so disappointed with the Vortex scope. I spent more time finding my target stand looking through the scope then I did shooting, my eye location had to be just perfect or all I saw was black. Needless to say the scope was returned to Cabela’s and I have a Sig Sauer Sierra3BDX
The old saying you get what you pay for well I saved some money with the Vortex scope and got a poorly made scope.

Back