testtest

I would run from the bear

I have 3 44's. Taurus Raging Bull, Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" and a 10" barrel.
Even with my hand loads wife and granddaughter and I will shoot one handed.
454 weighs twice as much and I have yet to try one hand. Yeah, it's got some
push back. But it's so heavy it doesn't have a recoil that is what I'd call punishing.
Most disappointment I have found shooting my two Judges is using 410 shells.
I thought those would be nasty. Feels like a 22 mag!!
I believe the 454 is referred to at times as the 45LC Mag.
Fella I buy some bullets from told me he fired 22 rounds of 454 and had to quit.
Many times I have fired 50 and wished I had more. Guess some of us enjoy having
our teeth rattled more than others! :D
It will make your dentures fall out.

Whacha think of the 460 rowland conversions? 50% more energy than a 10mm in an auto.

If you can control a 460, be proficient with it, and be able to make fairly rapid accurate shots with it that's OK. One won't have alot of time when dealing with a charging griz.

But the things with bears is you need deep penetration vs just brute ft lbs. That's why Buffalo Bore ammo for bear use, loads hard cast bullets.

If you can control a 460, be proficient with it, and be able to make fairly rapid accurate shots with it that's OK. One won't have alot of time when dealing with a charging griz.

But the things with bears is you need deep penetration vs just brute ft lbs. That's why Buffalo Bore ammo for bear use, loads hard cast bullets.
I was noticing that about hard cast, not buffalo bore in particular.

That's a good question. If I was hunting with a pistol round for those two I'd mix things up with a hard cast & a bonded JHP. The hard cast is going to poke a hole but you still need to create more trauma on those two. Plus it depends on what type a shot you're willing to take.

I think you are quite right.... but for me with a bear that can stand 8 feet tall I would insist upon
a Bazooka or M72 LAW.

With griz you'll have a head-on shot if its charging (they are very fast) so you'll need to spray them, or get a hard-cast bullet into the CPU area. I thing a LAW would be too slow. ;)

You probably would not think whatever handgun you have is big enough if you have a run in with a grizzly. I usually carry my Dan Wesson .445 Supermag when in the brush in Alaska. Last time I was there I did carry my Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore hard casts in a chest rig. Had a guide once tell me that I probably had a good chance against a grizzly because of my law enforcement background. He said most people would not be able to react fast enough to be effective with a handgun. My son has been in Alaska for 15 years and has had a number of run ins with grizzly and moose. He said you would be amazed at how fast they can move. I always make a lot of noise just to make sure I don't surprise either one.:) As far a the 500 S&W goes, it kills on one end and maims on the other. Sometimes hard to tell which end is which. Shot 5 rounds out son's 500 and that was enough for me.

Last edited:
You probably would not think whatever handgun you have is big enough if you have a run in with a grizzly. I usually carry my Dan Wesson .445 Supermag when in the brush in Alaska. Last time I was there I did carry my Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore hard casts in a chest rig. Had a guide once tell me that I probably had a good chance against a grizzly because of my law enforcement background. He said most people would not be able to react fast enough to be effective with a handgun. My son has been in Alaska for 15 years and has had a number of run ins with grizzly and moose. He said you would be amazed at how fast they can move. I always make a lot of noise just to make sure I don't surprise either one.:) As far a the 500 S&W goes, it kills on one end and maims on the other. Sometimes hard to tell which end is which. Shot 5 rounds out son's 500 and that was enough for me.

I don't know about grizzlys but I can attest to the speed of a Moose. In June of 1987 my ex-wife and I along with her 3 kids plus her sister and her husband all went to Yellowstone. We were staying in tents because we didn't have campers.
So one morning I get up way before any of the others and start stoking the fire. I hear a noise and look up to see a cow moose and her yearling wandering into the campsite right next to ours.

There was a reclining lawn chair ( aluminum and webbing ) sitting in this site about 15 to 20 yards away from me. The cow walked up to this lawn chair and just nuzzled it with her nose . When she did the back folded up and made a clang noise. Well no more than the clang had sounded then the cow Moose spun around and kicked the chair with her hind legs. Before the chair could stop rolling from the kick , she was stomping on it with her front hooves. When she was done with it you couldn't have told what it was if you hadn't seen it before all this started.

I just stood there not moving . Actually I was afraid to move because all I had was a tent nearby to get in. After the cow was satisfied that the chair wasn't going to hurt her or her calf , she walked back into the brush she had come from.

I was amazed at the speed this gangly looking animal could move and how violent it could be over such a small noise. I also knew I didn't ever want to be that close to a live Moose ever again. LOL

Excellent share papa..... it is amazing how fast a gangly moose, obese bear or stubby legged gator can move.

While living in Indiana I had one of the double car doors to the garage open. In there puttering around on my
riding mower a doe comes running in. Why? I don't know! What seemed to last hours was unreal. Scared, the
doe was making a complete wreck of things trying to find her way back out. I on the other hand am frantically
bobbing and weaving like a boxer to avoid those flailing hooves. Although it really only took what were not even minutes I'm sure, she never tagged me, and finally departed through the door she came in. Thankfully I was unbruised, the garage on the other hand took the better part of a weekend to restore to it's previous splendor.

We have quite a few mountain lions coming out of the mountains into the area. They are almost invisable as you walk through the brush.I wonder what the chances are that you could get off a round or more.Before he was on you.You would really have to be focused if he got on your back before you saw him.This is a highly residential area and people cant figure out why they are coming out of the mountains. 3 were seen chowing down on a body a couple weeks ago.They were terminated.

1579634194777.jpeg

This is why I have kept my Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull, just in case

Back