testtest

I would run from the bear

Yeah, a .44 would be better, but a howitzer would be even better than that. At some point, you have to balance what you can actually carry with what you want to have against a threat. My answer would be to not be around the bear, but inside my house safe and sound. But if I did find myself facing one, I think 15 rounds of hot 10mm ammo might get his attention...

Everyone i know in bear country who was moving by boat or truck had a shotgun with slugs. On foot, I'd take the capacity in 10MM over a half dozen rounds and a heavy wheel gun. If you're having to shoot a bear it's running right at you while youre adrenaline dumping and crapping your pants. I want to sling lead and lots of it in hopes of hitting something that turns that beast around. 10mm ALL DAY.

This is what the wheel gun boys imagine a bear charge will look like:
image.jpg

I have to agree on the capacity of the 10mmm with the ability to quickly change magazines in case there are more around. If the bear is charging, it's for a reason, you got in between momma and cubs, or they are defending food.

Growing up I’ve always been told pistol calibers would only make a bear mad. Then when I’ve talked to people who hunted bears with bows they say that their backups were .45 ACP.

I don't think i'd take a single stack .45 over or a larger caliber wheel gun. But id take a double stack 10mm all day.

giphy.gif

I heard springfield ships a lot of XDM 10mm to alaska and there are some leather guys up there making good holsters for them.

Are they small bears? Up here in Alaska, we have Grizzly, Black, Polar and Kodiak bears (Kodiak and Polar we have to go out of town for). All the outfitters and Fish and Game folks encourage and highly recommend .44 or 10mm when you go hiking in and out of town. We get some decent size black bears in town and the grizzlies just outside of town on the hiking trails.

there's a tiny pocket down here in the lower 48 where you run into grizz. Other than that it's only black bears. They get big but they don't have the temperament of the real bears up north. I've only ever carried for bear protection around Yellowstone and Alaska. You can a run a black bear off with stern look. :)

I don't think i'd take a single stack .45 over or a larger caliber wheel gun. But id take a double stack 10mm all day.

giphy.gif

I heard springfield ships a lot of XDM 10mm to alaska and there are some leather guys up there making good holsters for them.
Yea If it were me and I had the choice I’d be buy a hand cannon 50cal pistol.

Are they small bears? Up here in Alaska, we have Grizzly, Black, Polar and Kodiak bears (Kodiak and Polar we have to go out of town for). All the outfitters and Fish and Game folks encourage and highly recommend .44 or 10mm when you go hiking in and out of town. We get some decent size black bears in town and the grizzlies just outside of town on the hiking trails.
I’m in AK too, usually just carry a 12ga, I never did trust the 10mm. They do have the capacity advantage though. Still I’d probably take a .44mag. Nice to meet you!

I was in Alaska fishing for dolly varden on the Russian river, I borrowed a 10mm Glock, 2 spare mags all in a leather chest rig loaded with solid hard cast bullets. I thought it was the best choice. I explained my reasoning to him, he just threw his head back laughed and told me it was a girls gun! Wherever you are, do as the locals do! They know better than you.

Plenty of Alaskans carry 10mms. BTW a gent defended himself from a brown bear up there recently using a Glock 9mm, and killed it.
I wouldn't use the theory that someone killed a Brown bear with a 9mm as a good reason to carry a 9mm into bear country but it does show that shot placement matters the most. I say carry the most powerful caliber you have experience and training with to be sure of shot placement.

And avoid smearing yourself in honey before going out for a hike.

One more thing 10mm ROCK's🤘

Last edited:
Back