In a little bind

Iwi Zion 15 or Springfield saint victor

• Zion 15

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Saint victor

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is very true, for me a $3500 ar compared to a $900 ar I personally won’t see much of a difference because I’ve not owned one or messed around with them, but that’s why my budget is $900 because I do like ar15s I’ve had a few of my buddys let me shoot there’s and mostly what I’ve shot is the Zion because he owns a 12.5 inch barrel Zion it’s the one I’m aiming for if I can find a good deal on it if not then I’ll go with a saint victor because there both really good AR’s
Good luck with whatever one of those you decide on.

I mean I’m not much of a sig person I know that they have made good guns and are contracted with the military if I remember correctly, but I’ve heard both good and bad and that’s with every company out here I do know that since sa had launched there ar line they have fixed the problems with them could they happen to some of them they put out all over again it could
You're going to hear good and bad about every brand, just take it with a grain of salt and be discerning about who's opinion you're hearing.

But with a name brand gun, you do have the protection of a warranty if something isn't right.

But as many have already highlighted, the list of decent rifles is long, the list of stay completely away is short, I'd nail that one down first.

No American Tactical ever, Rock River Arms is not a good product for the amount of money they charge at this time, Del-ton is cheap but not known for accuracy due to that price point of some components.

Almost everything else on the market will probably make you happy so long as you don't overpay.

If you already know you like the platform I wouldn't waste money on a "Starter" gun. Get the best one you can afford.

Or do this. Buy an Aero M4E1 stripped lower. Buy a decent mil spec lower parts kit. Get one that comes without the pistol grip and trigger because those are going to be mil spec and you will change them. So far you're into it about $130. Now buy a carbine buffer kit. That's the spring and the tube and the endplate. That's another $40. Now pick you out a stock. I suggest a SOPMOD, but any of the Magpul adjustables are going to be good. That's another $40-$90 depending. Now you can either get a drop in cartridge trigger like a JMT or a mil spec type like a Hiperfire EDT for $100 or you can start with a nice PSA EPT trigger for about $40. Next get a grip ( get a grip man :) ) BCM Gunfighter or one of the new Magpul plus grips is a good one. That's another $40-ish. Now you're somewhere between $300 and $500 depending on the trigger, grip and stock you chose.

Now follow me here. This is the turning point. Assembling all this stuff. The good news is you already have most of the tools you need and me and plenty of other guys here, along with a few helpful links, possibly the one from Pew Pew Tactical and you can have a complete lower, ready to rock in less than an hour and a half. The bad news is you will need some roll pin punches and an AR wrench. That'll set you back maybe $30. Then more good news. You now have a high quality complete lower receiver you built yourself for less than $500 and you managed to pick up a new addiction.

Next you need an upper. An Aero M4E1 upper is about $400. And BAM, now you have a high quality AR-15 for about $900. Add a Romeo 5 and you're in business. You can shave off a few bucks if you need too by sticking with a lower parts kit that comes with the trigger, stock and pistol grip. And you can change those out later. The last one I built I bought a PSA EPT lower kit that came with the B5 SOPMOD stock, B5 P23 grip and PSA EPT trigger and I think it was around $200. 10MM might remember the exact price as he bought the same one, the same day.

You could also get a decent ( Complete) upper from PSA or BCA in the $200-$250 range if you want to shave some of the cost. But personally I think the Aero for $400 is a hell of a nice upper at a perfectly reasonable cost.
We’ll when I say starter gun I mean something that can introduce me fully to the platform like taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together because I’ve never done that to a AR so for me I wouldn’t know what I’d be doing and would have to lookup videos and stuff which even when I build one I still will because I just don’t want to mess it up or anything. I don’t really know how else to put it, But I will have a few because I know after the first it will grow into more

We’ll when I say starter gun I mean something that can introduce me fully to the platform like taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together because I’ve never done that to a AR so for me I wouldn’t know what I’d be doing and would have to lookup videos and stuff which even when I build one I still will because I just don’t want to mess it up or anything. I don’t really know how else to put it, But I will have a few because I know after the first it will grow into more
It’s hard to mess up a lower to the point it’s inoperable…uppers are another thing, which is why buying a complete upper is a better way to go.

But to assemble them? It’s two push pins.

It’s hard to mess up a lower to the point it’s inoperable…uppers are another thing, which is why buying a complete upper is a better way to go.

But to assemble them? It’s two push pins.
Assembled and putting them together that is nothing it’s dealing with like the springs and little parts here and there that I don’t want to mess up because I don’t have roll pins or any gunsmithing accessories (will be getting them later down the line) just don’t have any atm

You're going to hear good and bad about every brand, just take it with a grain of salt and be discerning about who's opinion you're hearing.

But with a name brand gun, you do have the protection of a warranty if something isn't right.

But as many have already highlighted, the list of decent rifles is long, the list of stay completely away is short, I'd nail that one down first.

No American Tactical ever, Rock River Arms is not a good product for the amount of money they charge at this time, Del-ton is cheap but not known for accuracy due to that price point of some components.

Almost everything else on the market will probably make you happy so long as you don't overpay.
My coworker was saying get American tactical I said it looks like it would be a piece of horse ****, so can definitely agree with you

Assembled and putting them together that is nothing it’s dealing with like the springs and little parts here and there that I don’t want to mess up because I don’t have roll pins or any gunsmithing accessories (will be getting them later down the line) just don’t have any atm
A LPK—Lower Parts Kit—will contain everything you need. Beyond that—hammer, punches, stock wrench, screwdriver /Allen wrench are all you really need…a vice grip is optional, but handy.

The hardest part is getting in your front pin detente; but there’s tons of step-by-step instructions (or videos, if that’s how you’re wired) on how to do it.

A LPK—Lower Parts Kit—will contain everything you need. Beyond that—hammer, punches, stock wrench, screwdriver /Allen wrench are all you really need…a vice grip is optional, but handy.

The hardest part is getting in your front pin detente; but there’s tons of step-by-step instructions (or videos, if that’s how you’re wired) on how to do it.
Alright and yeah I am more of a visual person then just explaining

There's no difference in how a starter or higher-end AR are put together, its just the quality of the same parts.

Without taking the barrel & gas blocks off & then on again there's not much more to the upper, compared to the lower which is pretty easy to take apart.

I don't know why you want to take out & reinstall roll pins. But you need a couple tools there to avoid marring the pins and/or the lower receiver.

Last edited:
I get it. I was hesitant at first too. I think my first posts here were basically this same discussion. When I built out my first lower I thought “ damn, that was nothing to be afraid of”. You’re not going to lose any little springs. You’re not really able to install them in the wrong place or anything. I promise you it is easy and you will look back and laugh about ever being intimidated.

Here. Read this.

And watch this.

Back