testtest

In the beginning!

I was five when Dad let me shoot with close supervision out back of our house with a high bank for a backdrop. I started out on a nine shot High Standard in the pistol arena and my brothers Nylon 66 for rifle fun. It's hard to beat a .22 long rifle to put a smile on ones face.

Daisy Red Rider, 5yo can terminator.

The attitude my parents had toward my interest influenced me most. Their lack of discipline made them think I would do the same. Fortunately, I pay attention and noted their behavior as inadequate and dangerous. The result was that I save up to purchase the best I can and take care of my equipment. To me shooting is always about quality above quantity but most importantly skill above chance and bravado.

Last edited:
I grew up watching westerns and war movies and that got me interested in firearms. The first handgun I had that shot bullets was a Mattel shootin' shell 45 . It had a spring loaded metal case that you pushed a plastic bullet into and it snapped into place. These were as close to a real single action handgun ever made.

The first real handgun I fired was a High Standard snub nosed .22 with a bobbed hammer that belonged to my oldest brother in law. I had many BB guns and pellet rifles before shooting the .22 so I knew about how to use the sights. I loved it. I was about 10 at that time. I've always been interested in firearms as far back as I can remember just never had enough money to buy all that I wanted.

Got my first handgun with high school graduation money. It was a Ruger Single Six Convertible (Circa 1968). Interned with local county park system in college and worked with their park rangers. Shot a .357 Magnum one ranger owned. Went through firearm training with the rangers using a S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece in 38 SPL. Bought a S&W Model 19 .357 Combat Magnum when I first got into Law Enforcement. Have had just about every caliber and type of handgun since. Papa you never have enough money to buy all of them that you want. ;)

I'm guessing I was 10, Christmas, a Daisy Red Ryder. In school wood shop I made a very nice rack for it and it was
mounted over my bed.

Having not shot my eye out I was given a 22 the next Christmas. It snuggled up with the Daisy on the rack.

First hand gun was a 38. Nice and small compared to the rifles, decided that was the way to go. Hooked.

Sorry I missed the last question when I posted previously. I learned that a firearm is a tool and like any other tool they each have designed uses. I also learned much like electricity a firearm should be respected but not feared. If you understand how to be safe with it and treat it accordingly it is very useful. If you are irresponsible or afraid of it someone will almost always end up hurt.

I honestly do not remember the first firearm I shot. Probably some hunting rifle my dad had. Starting around 7 I protected the home with a pellet rifle. Many evil invaders perished to my weapon.

About eleven I was given a Nylon 66 for my birthday. Stayed in my room with me. Parents and grandparents had trained me well. Twelve or thirteen was given a Remington model 742 30.06 for Christmas.

First handgun was SA loaded 1911 I purchased. Still have everything but the pellet rifle today.

I was 15. An unforgettable range-day with my father and his friend, who was a full-time LEO working for the Chinatown shopping center that my father managed while off-duty.

The guns I remember most from that day were his duty Glock 17 and his .357 Python. The former was just so iconic, and the latter was an absolute joy.

I hadn't really thought about firearms much until that day. It had only held mystique and interest for me in a remote, disconnected manner - much as you'd expect of anyone who just grew up watching gunplay on TV and in movies.

Everything changed from that day on. I loved the peace and focus - that momentary Zen - required to shoot accurately.

I already loved cars at that point. I had an infatuation with them that centered around engineering: the mechanical beauty of the system. That quickly also translated to the workings of the firearms that I got to shoot that day, and remains with me even now. Sitting at the bench and detail-stripping/cleaning, modifying, and otherwise tinkering with my firearms is something that I've come to enjoy doing with my teenage daughter, and it's recently come nearly full-circle as we sat together to fit various triggers to "her" then-new Gen4 Glock 17FS.

Last edited:
As I was thinking about this topic before I posted it, I was taken back to when I was 10 years old. My Dad and my uncles were doing some shooting in the back yard. I was there trying to see what all the real men were doing...lol. My Dad said here you want to shoot this? Not knowing what it was, I wanted to be like them so I immediately said yes. My Dad told me how to hold it, but I had no idea what I was in for. I pulled the trigger and BAM! It recoiled and busted me in the nose...lol It was a 12 gauge shgotgun. From that day, I realized the importance of getting to know what I put my hands on and wanted to learn to shoot it correctly. As I got older I became aware of all safety features of any firearm before I put it in my hands and focused on the fundamentals of gun safety.
Now, I am able to teach my children the fundamentals and to have respect for them. I wouldn't change it for the world.
Nothing but fond memories, I hope this topic has done the same for you all as well.

Sorry I missed the last question when I posted previously. I learned that a firearm is a tool and like any other tool they each have designed uses. I also learned much like electricity a firearm should be respected but not feared. If you understand how to be safe with it and treat it accordingly it is very useful. If you are irresponsible or afraid of it someone will almost always end up hurt.
You pulled that off the internet.

I grew up shooting BB and pellet guns in the backyard and neighborhood with the other boys, probably had a Daisy Red Ryder around age 8 if I had to guess. I was probably 10 to 12 when my dad let me shoot a 22 revolver and a 38 revolver, but it was only once or twice. He was never a hunter and worked a lot, so had no rifles or shotguns for me to mess with, I did go squirrel hunting in South Georgia with some cousins around age 12 to 14 and shoot up the trees with a 22 rifle, but that was about it growing up.

In my first job after college, I worked with a guy who was into competitive shooting, and he took me to the range a few times, and guided me towards a Ruger Mark II target pistol that I purchased around 1990 or so, at age 24 to 25. It's the weapon I've fired the most in my life still I imagine. In fact, not having fired any of my firearms since before my cataract surgery last July/August, I took only the Ruger up to the range yesterday and made 350 holes in paper at 12, 25, 50 and 75 feet, to "test my vision".

I can't really remember when I got my BB gun (not a Red Ryder, but a pump). Probably about 7 or 8. Got my first shotgun at 9 (a .410 bolt action), and saved up and bought my first handgun (.22 revolver) at about 14 or 15. Time really flies!

In the beginning.... There is the tradition of this great country. The history of firearm ownership has been passed on for generations.

In the beginning.... There is the tradition of this great country. The history of firearm ownership has been passed on for generations.
What i find most interesting is that it was encouraged, by the British. This was after they saw how ineffective the Spanish model of imperialism was resulting in failure.
Food for thought...

Back