testtest

in the hunt for a new car

I'm really glad I'm not in the market for a new vehicle right now (knock on wood...). There's really nothing within reason that excites me. Heck, even a Ram Power Wagon, which I had thought might be my next truck, is over $70k these days.

I get to work on my own namesake..
no fancy computers .. no fancy anything.. a truck the way a truck is supposed to be … used off road and haul stuff ..

View attachment 42266

Seriously, I'm thinking about hunting down something like this for my next truck. Even if I have to put a fair bit into it, I'll still be tens of thousands of dollars ahead. And I wont have all the infernal computer BS of a new one.

Last edited:
I'm really glad I'm not in the market for a new vehicle right now (knock on wood...). There's really nothing within reason that excites me. Heck, even a Ram Power Wagon, which I had thought might be my next truck, is over $70k these days.

Seriously, I'm thinking about hunting down something like this for my next truck. Even if I have to put a fair bit into it, I'll still be tens of thousands of dollars ahead. And I wont have all the infernal computer BS of a new one.
Trouble is these old ‘70s engines dont get great gas mpg..
This 351M engine gets 9mpg… yes you read that correct ..

Trouble is these old ‘70s engines dont get great gas mpg..
This 351M engine gets 9mpg… yes you read that correct ..
KF , is your truck engine bone stock? A different ( mild ) camshaft and a set of tube headers could help.

A few years back I built a 428 Cobra Jet with slighty hotter than stock camshaft . and a Holley 780 CFM 4 BBL. carb and installed it in a 1978 F-250. It had the truck 4-speed with granny low 1st gear and 4:10 gears in the back and 4:09 in the front. It would get 11 MPG and I had all the horsepower I needed.

KF , is your truck engine bone stock? A different ( mild ) camshaft and a set of tube headers could help.

A few years back I built a 428 Cobra Jet with slighty hotter than stock camshaft . and a Holley 780 CFM 4 BBL. carb and installed it in a 1978 F-250. It had the truck 4-speed with granny low 1st gear and 4:10 gears in the back and 4:09 in the front. It would get 11 MPG and I had all the horsepower I needed.
I bet the gas gauge needle moved as fast the speedometer's needle ! :)

Bone stock truck other than rims and tires
I dont want to change it to a 4bbl or do engine work. Orig engine 77,000 miles.

I want to keep it original.
I have the dealer sticker, warranty card and factory build order paperwork from the day my dad took possession brand new off the lot in 1977 to his build specs.

If your at 9mpg, 11 isnt much better 🙂😉

Hard to beat the mid-90's Ford trucks.
Here is my truck 2000 ford over 300000 miles on it just gifted it to my son who drives it every day . I bought it brand new in 2000
IMG_1389.jpeg

Bone stock truck other than rims and tires
I dont want to change it to a 4bbl or do engine work. Orig engine 77,000 miles.

I want to keep it original.
I have the dealer sticker, warranty card and factory build order paperwork from the day my dad took possession brand new off the lot in 1977 to his build specs.

If your at 9mpg, 11 isnt much better 🙂😉
I fully understand wanting to keep it all original with those bona fides. As far as the gas mileage between 9 MPG and 11 MPG is that I had a LOT bigger motor with a lot more horsepower. ;)

Going to purchase my leased Honda tomorrow in El Paso TX. What a hassle to purchase your own vehicle that you have been driving for 3 years. Crooks cannot even define the dealers in my area. I am amazed how they can rob you while smiling at you. This will be my last vehicle purchase. The vehicle will just have to last!

Going to purchase my leased Honda tomorrow in El Paso TX. What a hassle to purchase your own vehicle that you have been driving for 3 years. Crooks cannot even define the dealers in my area. I am amazed how they can rob you while smiling at you. This will be my last vehicle purchase. The vehicle will just have to last!
It’s never a good day at the dealer all crooks

AI? Cool as all get out, amazing potentials, incredible technology...but with little controls over its development, it will present enormous risks. No tin foil hat here (on this topic), just read what some folks way smarter than me are saying about it...

Back