testtest

In your opinion

I find it interesting that so many people are saying revolvers. At my guess I'd say striker fired pistols.

As far as rifles, I'd say anything AR platform (including "pistols").
After that I'm not sure
Wait .. what ? I thought you had an answer from some gunsmithing data or what not ..

it was a open ended question 🤔🤔

i’d like to know a diffinative answer. May have to scour the interwebs and ask Gore

I suppose you could look up the ammunition sales totals to figure out the most common right now. Even that only shows the most popular among active shooters, which ignores all the people that bought ammo years ago and consider the gun just a tool to be brought out when needed.
As a guess, I'd say the .22LR, 5.56, 12 gauge shotgun, and 9mm pistols are very common NOW.
20 years ago, it might be the .357 revolver over the 9mm.. but who knows? It's a big country and a bigger world. And there are millions of .38s out there in sock drawers.
I bet the .22 rifle is close to the top.

Or at a guess what do you think the most common platform of firearms are in the States? For example, striker fire pistols.
Not specifics (ie Glock 19) but general platform.
i would think striker fired, due to the lower cost of say the average 1911, or other .45 ACP handguns.

people during the pandemic zombie apocalypse wanted a gun, and fast, at not much costs.

of course, then came the ammo shortages.

i was standing in line, this one time, to get into the LGS, when waiting in line was "the thing" many months ago, and this one guy said, he bought the gun, (Sig) but there was no ammo, and it had been like 3 months and hadn't even fired one round!!

people who did not know what to buy, just went crazy, grabbing anything they could, regarding the guns, but the ammo, they could not find..

i found ALL my .45 ACP's, (guns) and 1911's that i wanted PLUS all the .45 ACP ammo, i could buy, during the panic buying, it was the striker fired polymer guns that were not to be found.

Wait .. what ? I thought you had an answer from some gunsmithing data or what not ..

it was a open ended question 🤔🤔

i’d like to know a diffinative answer. May have to scour the interwebs and ask Gore

The question I asked was inspired by a book I listened to and it noted the numbers of handguns, rifles and shotguns over a period of years. That got me wondering what the breakdown was.
The data, I haven't got the numbers, was basically more handguns than rifles and more rifles than shotguns.

I'll have to listen to the book again to find the numbers according to the book but I do remember that much

The question I asked was inspired by a book I listened to and it noted the numbers of handguns, rifles and shotguns over a period of years. That got me wondering what the breakdown was.
The data, I haven't got the numbers, was basically more handguns than rifles and more rifles than shotguns.

I'll have to listen to the book again to find the numbers according to the book but I do remember that much
Gotcha .. it would be interesting to know ..

I suppose you could look up the ammunition sales totals to figure out the most common right now. Even that only shows the most popular among active shooters, which ignores all the people that bought ammo years ago and consider the gun just a tool to be brought out when needed.
As a guess, I'd say the .22LR, 5.56, 12 gauge shotgun, and 9mm pistols are very common NOW.
20 years ago, it might be the .357 revolver over the 9mm.. but who knows? It's a big country and a bigger world. And there are millions of .38s out there in sock drawers.
I bet the .22 rifle is close to the top.

"I suppose you could look up the ammunition sales totals to figure out the most common right now."

Good thoughts, but? Am not thinking that would give a much better picture since there are HG's that take and use rifle rounds and vice versa. And, then some HG's use shotgun rounds. Same as with some under and over long guns that take different calibers including shot shells. Maybe using ammo sales data for a general idea would likely be about it and then again maybe not?

"I suppose you could look up the ammunition sales totals to figure out the most common right now."

Good thoughts, but? Am not thinking that would give a much better picture since there are HG's that take and use rifle rounds and vice versa. And, then some HG's use shotgun rounds. Same as with some under and over long guns that take different calibers including shot shells. Maybe using ammo sales data for a general idea would likely be about it and then again maybe not?
'Right now' being the keywords.. Knowing what ammo has been selling for the last couple years would only be a snapshot of the recent era, not representative of the actual numbers of firearms of different types out there. I've never actually seen a gun in the trash. There are millions of old ones that never changed hands or were never on the books. Manufacturers don't know. Importers go out of business. I doubt anybody can determine hard figures.

I would say the 9mm pistols are the largest number. That is based on the ammo sales numbers reported by manufacturers.
Guns that are not used? IMO they have no bearing on this discussion. They might be rusted, locked and forgotten away in safes, returned in buy-back programs... or boating accidents in Mexico.
Example: The most popular gun for Mexico cartels is the Romanian AK47, bought in US.

I find it interesting that so many people are saying revolvers. At my guess I'd say striker fired pistols.

As far as rifles, I'd say anything AR platform (including "pistols").
After that I'm not sure
Revolvers have been around for close to two centuries.

Plastic fantastic? Less than a quarter of that time (and that’s only if you consider the HK VP70Z).

I have lived the majority of my life in the city, but have family in rural areas. The majority of gun owners that I have met in the city/suburbs own a semi-auto pistol. Virtually all of the rural families I have met have a .22 rimfire rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun in the home (most also have at least one hunting rifle).

I handle wills, trusts and estates through my law practice. I have noticed that a large number of my elderly clients own revolvers. Most of these were purchased by a deceased spouse years ago, but some have been passed down for several generations. I'm not sure if there are enough of these gun owners to make revolvers the most common type of firearm, but it wouldn't completely surprise me.

I have lived the majority of my life in the city, but have family in rural areas. The majority of gun owners that I have met in the city/suburbs own a semi-auto pistol. Virtually all of the rural families I have met have a .22 rimfire rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun in the home (most also have at least one hunting rifle).

I handle wills, trusts and estates through my law practice. I have noticed that a large number of my elderly clients own revolvers. Most of these were purchased by a deceased spouse years ago, but some have been passed down for several generations. I'm not sure if there are enough of these gun owners to make revolvers the most common type of firearm, but it wouldn't completely surprise me.
although i too cannot say how popular revolvers are, all i can say that is with-in the past year, i have bought 5 of them.

and i see maybe a couple , maybe 3 more in my future.

i cannot see the revolver fading away, as there is a fan base for them, just like the 1911's.

i think, that when you have guns, made of all metal, over plastic, the metal ones hold thier value over time.

has anyone checked auctions and the prices of 1911's, and revolvers, over "plastic fantastic" values..????

although i too cannot say how popular revolvers are, all i can say that is with-in the past year, i have bought 5 of them.

and i see maybe a couple , maybe 3 more in my future.

i cannot see the revolver fading away, as there is a fan base for them, just like the 1911's.

i think, that when you have guns, made of all metal, over plastic, the metal ones hold thier value over time.

has anyone checked auctions and the prices of 1911's, and revolvers, over "plastic fantastic" values..????
I like revolvers especially SA Colt clones from Uberti, marketed as Cimarrons. I've bought two of them this year and have about 6 total, plus 2 DAs. They are easy to shoot well, have great triggers, conserve the ammo, and fondle much better than modern pistolas, which are great in some respects, too. They just can't be easily concealed (except for my little birds head P Junior .38)
I also enjoy my lever guns and pump shotguns. Americans have metric tons of traditional steel guns.

I like revolvers especially SA Colt clones from Uberti, marketed as Cimarrons. I've bought two of them this year and have about 6 total, plus 2 DAs. They are easy to shoot well, have great triggers, conserve the ammo, and fondle much better than modern pistolas, which are great in some respects, too. They just can't be easily concealed (except for my little birds head P Junior .38)
I also enjoy my lever guns and pump shotguns. Americans have metric tons of traditional steel guns.
thanks for the name, Uberti.

i haven't an SA's maybe that's one i might consider, just looked at the police style.

Exponential factors on the side of the wheelie.
I was thinking more on the effects of the two best gun salesmen of the 2000's - Obama and Biden.
When was a time when literally could not find guns and ammo? Only now the situation relented a bit and still you can't get everything one would want.
Maybe there lots of wheelies out there. But I have a feeling that every owner of one of those, bought one or two pistols now.
I might be wrong as well. All's good!

thanks for the name, Uberti.

i haven't an SA's maybe that's one i might consider, just looked at the police style.
May I suggest on a Tayler’s & Company Uberti SA, Taylor’s take a stock Uberti and do some custom work to them, trigger, finish and such, plus there not much more in price over a stock Uberti.

AA222AF6-5999-4550-B650-F65C09C2CD47.jpeg
Here is mine in .357 mag

Back