testtest

Ins and Outs of Pocket Carry

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Ins and Outs of Pocket Carry” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/ins-and-outs-of-pocket-carry/.

I carry a Springfield Hellcat Pro in my pocket in a Sticky holster, for several reasons: 1) Alas, neither my waist nor appendix has room for anything else; 2) it's easy to remove and recover if I need to go into a non-weapon area, like a bank; 3) when I'm in the car, it's handy in my door pocket; 4) paraphrasing Mass, carry the way that makes sure you will carry -- in 25 years of CCW, this method works for me, at all times; 5) my Hellcat Pro is the exact profile of my former CCW (Sig 938) with the exception of a .7" longer barrel and 8 more rounds; 6) when I'm out with friends or family, no one knows I'm armed; 7) Mass is right about the natural behavior of just putting your hand in your pocket and around your grip -- any other move is a telegraph that could cause an unnecessary excalation.

I don't carry to be a hero. I carry, as Mass says, because of "the stakes." For me, it's about peace of mind, especially when I'm with my grandsons. Finally, don't let the cowboys look down on you because you pocket carry. Just tell them you don't need to compensate.

One of the biggest misconceptions I hear about pocket carry is if you put your hand in your pocket people won't realize you're reaching for a gun.

I was working the overnight shift on Thanksgiving of 2018. So it would have been Thanksgiving morning. For FedEx that was a four-day weekend which means that they closed up shop and they all went home at midnight the night before.

At 5:30 Thanksgiving morning a third party contractor showed up at the gate with a delivery. I told him that I wasn't allowed to sign for his delivery and he would have to wait until somebody from FedEx showed up on Monday.

He threw a fit. He started screaming at me he started yelling at me. At one point he pulled back like he was going to take a swing at me and I reached for my pocket gun.

He backed up so fast he almost tripped over his feet. He was screaming and yelling and cussing but he told me that if I pulled a gun on him he was going to knock me TF out.

At that point his co-driver who had been watching the whole thing without doing anything to de-escalate his driver got out of the truck and got between us.

The point that I'm trying to make in this story is that driver knew exactly what I was doing when I stuck my hand in my pocket

One of the biggest misconceptions I hear about pocket carry is if you put your hand in your pocket people won't realize you're reaching for a gun.

I was working the overnight shift on Thanksgiving of 2018. So it would have been Thanksgiving morning. For FedEx that was a four-day weekend which means that they closed up shop and they all went home at midnight the night before.

At 5:30 Thanksgiving morning a third party contractor showed up at the gate with a delivery. I told him that I wasn't allowed to sign for his delivery and he would have to wait until somebody from FedEx showed up on Monday.

He threw a fit. He started screaming at me he started yelling at me. At one point he pulled back like he was going to take a swing at me and I reached for my pocket gun.

He backed up so fast he almost tripped over his feet. He was screaming and yelling and cussing but he told me that if I pulled a gun on him he was going to knock me TF out.

At that point his co-driver who had been watching the whole thing without doing anything to de-escalate his driver got out of the truck and got between us.

The point that I'm trying to make in this story is that driver knew exactly what I was doing when I stuck my hand in my pocket
Sounds like the escalation ship had already sailed.

The trick is to have your hand in your pocket before anything starts.

Reaching deliberately into your pocket when things are about to kick off is a bit of a red flag…walking to your car with your hand in your pocket, however…that’s pretty unthreatening.

Back