testtest

Instance Justifying Carrying a Handgun

I had coyotes all around a place I lived and never had a problem with them. I had a German Shepherd I'd leave out to do his business at night and a couple of times he'd get into it with a couple coyotes. I could hear the dog fighting in my woods. Each time I'd grab my flashlight and head out. No sooner would I get
a few steps away from my door, that Shepherd would proudly come prancing along as in "kicked their @ss".

I saw lots of wolves and coyotes around and, to me, the scariest one was a coywolf (half coyote, half wolf). I had one cross my path by a few feet paying no attention to me. He was big, near the size of a wolf, but colored like a coyote, not at all scraggly looking like a coyote. He was well built, not skinny like a coyote. That coywolf was not something I cared ever to see again and I haven't. First time I heard about coywolves was like ten years ago. It seems they come from, of all places, New York City and are spreading quickly west. A program I watched used infrared cameras and showed them all over New York's streets hiding in bushes. People would be walking just feet away from them and they didn't have a clue.

The coywolf...

View attachment 12205
Thought they were wolotes ??
🤔
😉

Massachusetts cops are hunting an extremely dangerous coyote. So far, it has bitten two people. If the first victim had a handgun, there wouldn't have been a second victim.

Surviving a coyote attack requires painful medical rabies vaccination.

Wise outdoorsmen know to never allow a wild animal to break their skin.

This is a compelling reason for citizens carrying handguns. There are assured dangers to our lives other than bipedal vermin.
"This is a compelling reason for citizens carrying handguns. There are assured dangers to our lives other than bipedal vermin." - Very sadly too many people forget that.

Killing coyotes ( or gators for that matter) when there is an actual reason to is fine. Killing coyotes just to kill coyotes just makes you a killer. Whatever made us made coyotes too and they're just trying to live their lives in their ever shrinking ecosystem.

The only thing a coyote is good for is target practice. My area will get overrun with the varmints if their not eliminated. I just saw 3 running together the other morning. They decimated the rabbit population here. The deer numbers are way down. Less antelope being seen. Yes, time to get out the camo and caller and gun these worthless predators Down.

The only thing a coyote is good for is target practice. My area will get overrun with the varmints if their not eliminated. I just saw 3 running together the other morning. They decimated the rabbit population here. The deer numbers are way down. Less antelope being seen. Yes, time to get out the camo and caller and gun these worthless predators Down.
Every time you use the word coyote in this post, substitute human being and it’s just as valid. People are cockroaches. You can’t even go get lost in the mountains in Montana anymore without running into throngs of people dropping their garbage all over.

I understand the need for responsible conservation since humans have totally decimated the natural ecosystem. As I said, there are legitimate reasons to cull populations of any animal and protecting yourself and your livestock from problem animals is a legitimate concern. Calling a coyote a worthless predator is laughable. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of basic conservation principles. What’s next? Wolves? Bears? Guess who the biggest indiscriminate predator on the planet is. Man.

“ The only good coyote is a dead coyote” and similar attitudes are 100% the entire reason why a sizable percent of people in this country hate hunting and hunters. You ain’t doing any of us any favors when you profess your desire to simply kill **** to be killing ****. That ain’t hunting brother.

Every time you use the word coyote in this post, substitute human being and it’s just as valid. People are cockroaches. You can’t even go get lost in the mountains in Montana anymore without running into throngs of people dropping their garbage all over.

I understand the need for responsible conservation since humans have totally decimated the natural ecosystem. As I said, there are legitimate reasons to cull populations of any animal and protecting yourself and your livestock from problem animals is a legitimate concern. Calling a coyote a worthless predator is laughable. It demonstrates a lack of understanding of basic conservation principles. What’s next? Wolves? Bears? Guess who the biggest indiscriminate predator on the planet is. Man.

“ The only good coyote is a dead coyote” and similar attitudes are 100% the entire reason why a sizable percent of people in this country hate hunting and hunters. You ain’t doing any of us any favors when you profess your desire to simply kill **** to be killing ****. That ain’t hunting brother.
Agree for the most part.

But? "People are cockroaches." - My opinion is some people act like it and some don't.
People can be cockroaches - May work better? Definitely agree with that one.

From the sounds of it, I don't believe you and me fall into the cockroach crowd or that many others fall into that former choice of wording either. One bad apple spoils a lot sometimes? Believe me, I do get your drift and share your frustration with irresponsibility of a few others.

Some people act worse than any animal I've ever encountered. Most animals act very logical unless sick, I can't always say same about people. I believe most people are basically good at heart. But, sometimes ignorance slips through the cracks? A bit naive? Maybe, but wouldn't want to live life believing everyone's a twit and no good. I know better. - We all do when taking time to think more about it?

Am thinking there's a whole lot of very good people here. I for one hope it stays that way.

Agree for the most part.

But? "People are cockroaches." - My opinion is some people act like it and some don't.
People can be cockroaches - May work better? Definitely agree with that one.

From the sounds of it, I don't believe you and me fall into the cockroach crowd or that many others fall into that former choice of wording either. One bad apple spoils a lot sometimes? Believe me, I do get your drift and share your frustration with irresponsibility a few others.

Some people act worse than any animal I've ever encountered. Most animals act very logical unless sick, I can't always say same about people. I believe most people are basically good at heart. But, sometimes ignorance slips through the cracks? A bit naive? Maybe, but wouldn't want to live life believing everyone's a twit and no good. I know better. - We all do when taking time to think more about it?

Am thinking there's a whole lot of very good people here. I for one hope it stays that way.
I was trying to make a point. In Azmarlin’s area it sounds like there are too many coyotes. For the good of all the wildlife in the area, including the coyotes, it may be that their numbers need to be culled. I suspect there is more than just coyotes to blame for the decline of the deer population though. At any rate humans are no different. Our numbers have exploded over the last 100 years. Why? Well the most logical explanation is pretty much the same thing that happens when one part of the food chain in the animal kingdom is eliminated. That is to say the predators that used to feed on the weak and the sick have been eliminated from the equation and subsequently the population has exploded. We have a tendency to value one species over another though. Eliminate the deer’s natural predators and next thing you know there are deer in urban areas getting hit by cars and eating your grandma’s shrubs. So as a society we have placed a high priority on taking care of humans that frankly would never survive if left to their own devices.
My point is that the balance should be maintained through the use of smart conservation practices. Wildlife biologists have turned my state’s conservation department into arguably the best in the nation. They didn’t do that by just allowing the wholesale killing of ANY species. We have a lot of coyotes. We also have a very generous coyote hunting season. But it is controlled. You can’t just indiscriminately kill every coyote you see. There is a place in the ecosystem for coyotes.
I’ll also point out that it is extremely rare that a coyote or even a group of coyotes successfully takes down a healthy, adult whitetail.

"What!? Did someone say coyote! Where's a coyote!?"

20210226_074251.jpg

Taken at 0630 this morning while grandsons were wtg for the school bus.

I was trying to make a point. In Azmarlin’s area it sounds like there are too many coyotes. For the good of all the wildlife in the area, including the coyotes, it may be that their numbers need to be culled. I suspect there is more than just coyotes to blame for the decline of the deer population though. At any rate humans are no different. Our numbers have exploded over the last 100 years. Why? Well the most logical explanation is pretty much the same thing that happens when one part of the food chain in the animal kingdom is eliminated. That is to say the predators that used to feed on the weak and the sick have been eliminated from the equation and subsequently the population has exploded. We have a tendency to value one species over another though. Eliminate the deer’s natural predators and next thing you know there are deer in urban areas getting hit by cars and eating your grandma’s shrubs. So as a society we have placed a high priority on taking care of humans that frankly would never survive if left to their own devices.
My point is that the balance should be maintained through the use of smart conservation practices. Wildlife biologists have turned my state’s conservation department into arguably the best in the nation. They didn’t do that by just allowing the wholesale killing of ANY species. We have a lot of coyotes. We also have a very generous coyote hunting season. But it is controlled. You can’t just indiscriminately kill every coyote you see. There is a place in the ecosystem for coyotes.
I’ll also point out that it is extremely rare that a coyote or even a group of coyotes successfully takes down a healthy, adult whitetail.
Thought so. On same page. Agreed with humane culling.
Not much worse than seeing anyone or anything suffering, especially in hunger.
Can be very haunting and unforgettable when unable to do anything about it.
Experiencing once in lifetime is more than enough.

Have same about thing here with critters. Deer path out by back woods. Accidentally found out deer love Magnolia blossoms. - Never knew they'd grow so well up north until after planting. Thought was only southern region plant. Fortunately/unfortunately deer found out too, now they love "pruning" blossoms.

Last edited:
Central Florida here. No coyote problem but if there’s a body of water it has gators. I follow recommendations and know to run if one pops up and lunges but my two girls are the freeze and scream type. If we’re out walking trails my xdm 40 comes along full up with fmj.
I'd get some Underwood Extreme Penetrators for Gators, best nasty all copper the flutes in it create the Venturi effect the from like a screwdriver will punch threw any animal on the planet even the skull of a Polar Bear, they carry them in Alaska. I carry their Extreme defender in my Hellcat.

Back