testtest

introducing…. My Garrison

Frank: just now seeing your post…
I’m at the range as I write this, and have fired a half box of S&B 230gr FMJ. Then broke it down for a cleaning and saw your post.

Had a F2F on this 2nd mag, and another later. One FTE.
I’m only firing at plates ( will do paper targets sometime soon, after I get a few mags thru and am comfortable with the break-in).

Initial impression: I love it…but…my Ronin is better. About the same grip feel, but Ronin has that FO front and these are lower on the slide, I think anyway. With my older eyes and a tinge of earrly arthritis, it may just be a bad day on my plate score. May also have something to do with the darker Ronin slide. Its cloudy and the Garrison is silver of course.
Trigger has turned out to be heavier than Ronin. But under 6lbs.

But that’s not anything wrong with Garrison. Just that so far, I’d rate Ronin superior…

(PS, I agree with the no front serrations, but either way the deep wide cuts on the Ronin are much better with my aging fingers than the GI serrations on Garrison).

More to follow over the holiday weekend…

Great review TW, thanks!
Did the Balistol pizza box survive? :)

Great review TW, thanks!
Did the Balistol pizza box survive? :)
Ha!! Decided to hold onto it til break-in is done :)

Couple more things:
- had 2-3 rounds eject back into my face. Don’t recall that ever happening with either of my Ronins.
- at least twice the slide failed to lock open on the last round.
- mags are difficult-ish to insert; have to smack it in kinda hard. Ronin doesn’t have that issue.
- I was right about the frame fit, it’s nice n tight. Slide lockup seems fine.
- one oddity: the extractor is plainly a different finish from the slide and other stainless parts. Wonder where Spgfld gets them from?? Mine protrudes just slightly from the rear of the slide - but not like what that other poster wrote about a couple or few weeks ago (apologies; can’t recall who right off).
By the way meant to post this pic, from the range table

Attachments

• 47A6622D-CAF3-45D7-83C2-8EAAC686093A.jpeg
    47A6622D-CAF3-45D7-83C2-8EAAC686093A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 129
Well to each his own - we all have our priorities.
Mine’s a machine; love it. Got to admit I was skeptical of that myself when I first read about it…
Yep, really got me when Kimber started using polymer mainspring housings on there 1911's, I expect a polymer trigger on a polymer gun, but a 1911......all well, what ya gonna do....probably going to have to look at a Ronin first hand...you never know...may change my mind after seeing it.....lol

Frank: just now seeing your post…
I’m at the range as I write this, and have fired a half box of S&B 230gr FMJ. Then broke it down for a cleaning and saw your post.

Had a F2F on this 2nd mag, and another later. One FTE.
I’m only firing at plates ( will do paper targets sometime soon, after I get a few mags thru and am comfortable with the break-in).

Initial impression: I love it…but…my Ronin is better. About the same grip feel, but Ronin has that FO front and these are lower on the slide, I think anyway. With my older eyes and a tinge of earrly arthritis, it may just be a bad day on my plate score. May also have something to do with the darker Ronin slide. Its cloudy and the Garrison is silver of course.
Trigger has turned out to be heavier than Ronin. But under 6lbs.

But that’s not anything wrong with Garrison. Just that so far, I’d rate Ronin superior…

(PS, I agree with the no front serrations, but either way the deep wide cuts on the Ronin are much better with my aging fingers than the GI serrations on Garrison).

More to follow over the holiday weekend…
Thank you for the range report and your opinion. Coming from someone who owns both that is much appreciated. I'm still leaning toward the Ronin. Partly because i don't yet own a 2 tone 1911, and after considering your thoughts on the 2 of them.

Thank you for the range report and your opinion. Coming from someone who owns both that is much appreciated. I'm still leaning toward the Ronin. Partly because i don't yet own a 2 tone 1911, and after considering your thoughts on the 2 of them.
Got 2 duel tone 1911’s, but there Kimber’s though, I really like the look that’s why I was interested in the Ronin as a future purchase to go with my Kimber’s, that way I would have a 9mm, 45acp and a 10mm in this configuration

I was interested in the Garrison in Stainless maybe to contrast with my Ronin. Maybe not so much a priority now after your report. It sure looks like a damn fine gun though. I bet she's fun as hell to shoot. Enjoy brother.

I was interested in the Garrison in Stainless maybe to contrast with my Ronin. Maybe not so much a priority now after your report. It sure looks like a damn fine gun though. I bet she's fun as hell to shoot. Enjoy brother.
Thanks deuce…Always good to hear from you !
Btw, I believe u were the one who put me on to the excellent 1791 holsters (?).
Looks as good as the redder-gripped Ronin i think. (bad light = bad pic, of course)

Attachments

• 778D1484-99C1-494C-A93F-29975A5A167F.jpeg
    778D1484-99C1-494C-A93F-29975A5A167F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 97
Frank and deuce:
I wouldn’t be much surprised to see the the price on Garrisons to drop to below the FO sighted two-tone Ronin, which hasn’t dropped much since they shot from $750ish to $900 range…
Garrison might end up being found in the hi $600s for blued (actually its black) and, say, $725 for SS…
Dunno if that’d have an impact on your choice (I can’t do this every month!) but food for thought.
Best regards,
TW

Yep, really got me when Kimber started using polymer mainspring housings on there 1911's, I expect a polymer trigger on a polymer gun, but a 1911......all well, what ya gonna do....probably going to have to look at a Ronin first hand...you never know...may change my mind after seeing it.....lol
… poly MSH is going too far, imho. That and the 80 / swartz safety steered me away from Kimber.
( I’ve also heard there QC has been lax at times but I don’t know the truth of that ).

… poly MSH is going too far, imho. That and the 80 / swartz safety steered me away from Kimber.
( I’ve also heard there QC has been lax at times but I don’t know the truth of that ).
So far no issues with my Kimber’s yet, honestly had more issues with my 9mm SA RO Operator, first recoil spring was way to lite, 9 pound, gun didn’t want to cycle right, changed it to a 12 pound, problem solved, second issue I just discovered a few months ago, took grips off to clean under them, the panel on the side of thumb safety is, grip screw bushing was cross threaded in frame from factory, luckily it didn’t hurt the threads in frame, just had to replace the bushing, but stuff happens

Got 2 duel tone 1911’s, but there Kimber’s though, I really like the look that’s why I was interested in the Ronin as a future purchase to go with my Kimber’s, that way I would have a 9mm, 45acp and a 10mm in this configuration
My 10mm is a Kimber Rapide.. And i love it. Only 300rnds thru it so far, but no issues at all, and very accurate. So i also considered a Custom ll two tone since they are just a little more than the Ronin. But it's a series 80, and has cast parts. My 1st 1911 is a SR1911, also a great gun. This 1911 thing is progressive...lol. I didnt know about series 70 vs 80, cast vs forged, etc.. I didnt know..what i didn't know.

My 10mm is a Kimber Rapide.. And i love it. Only 300rnds thru it so far, but no issues at all, and very accurate. So i also considered a Custom ll two tone since they are just a little more than the Ronin. But it's a series 80, and has cast parts. My 1st 1911 is a SR1911, also a great gun. This 1911 thing is progressive...lol. I didnt know about series 70 vs 80, cast vs forged, etc.. I didnt know..what i didn't know.
No cast parts in Kimber, slides and frames forged, internals are MIM, like most 1911’s now, Ruger has cast frames but forged slides and cast internals, most of you entry level 1911’s use MIM parts, I rather have investment cast parts myself though

Back