testtest

iPhone’s

I've never owned an Apple product. My wife had an update on all her apple stuff. Phone, macbook, ipod. Guess what happened. All of her devices were bricked. The update made them into paper weights. Apple forces you to buy the next gen. Her apple devices were only a few years old. My PC rig is lasting longer than that. Also apple uses out dated parts and tech. Their own propriety hardware isn't even competition worthy.

For the price of apple's top of the line pc. I can build rig to max capacity. Or a new gun and enough ammo to last a year. Yeah I don't like apple.

I've always hated Apple and their policies about forcing updates, or if you don't update they'll blow up your phone with "reminders" every day. I also "strongly dislike" the constant reminders to "enter your password to log into iTunes store"....when I'm not doing anything in the store.

They want to keep you logged in, so they can keep track of you.

The ONLY reason I went to an iPhone (I had a 7) was because when I converted my live audio production company to a wireless mixing console, it only spoke Apple. So, I had to go to iPads for control, and I could also use an iPhone for limited control if an iPad battery crapped out. When I got tired of that, I bought a second, used iPad for when the first battery died.

Pretty sad that a tablet, running ONE wifi app with nothing in the background, and no internet connection...can't last 4 hours before the battery craps out.

Now, the latest version of software for my mixing console also speaks Android. When I start getting gigs again (hard to do concerts with everything locked down!), I'm going to spend $85 on an Android tablet instead of getting new $500 iPads.

Years ago my wife went through two iPhone 4's. Couldn't keep a charge on either of them. Switched to Android (Samsung Galaxy) and no problems since.

When I was working I carried a Moto Razr flip phone. Used strictly for making calls. I used it for 9 yrs, and it still had the original battery when I finally stopped using it.

I think the main reason Apple products don't get any better is, they refuse to open-source their tech. Nobody can build "clones", so there is no competition driving them to get better. Android is open-source, so you can pick from LG, Samsung, Moto...any number of hardware manufacturers to get the features and speed you need. Apple....you get...Apple. Smile and say thank you.

I don't like to play that way.

Ok guys....I know I’m gonna step on a few toes here but 🤷‍♂️
I used to work for Apple support. I can understand some of your gripes about the batteries and the updates. In the past, the updates could be buggy -if you didn’t follow the recommended process- and that’s not how it should’ve been. There was no reason that a WiFi update should’ve been any different than a hardwired update. But, at the exact same time I had a Galaxy because I had certain projects that didn’t have apps in the Apple App Store. The Galaxy had different types of issues but there were plenty of them and they were just as annoying, if not more so.
Almost every complaint I read in this thread is something I could’ve resolved in minutes during a call into AppleCare (including several of the battery issues) and about 1/2 of those don’t even require an Apple Care plan, they’re free tech support. Have you tried Samsung tech support? They barely understand Android and it’s the only software they use. Tried to find a human@ google? 😆 good luck.

The dirty truth is Apple is a closed ecosystem and to participate you need to have $$. That includes being able to afford AppleCare and thus have tech support available 24/7. A perfect example is the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack in the X and beyond. They don’t care if people have 20 headphones that are now useless without an adapter that gets lost within days. You’re expected to be able to buy Bluetooth.

Yes updates are forced, no they don’t permanently brick devices (the few times they do AppleCare replaces the device), and yes you’re expected to trade your device at 2 year intervals. A lot of that mentality has begun to slowly change as Apple has moved into a cheaper market with the SE line but the closed ecosystem will always exist.

In gun terms: You can shoot far with a decent rifle but if you get into precision ELR type hardware you darn sure better be prepared to buy and fund a complete reloading set, high end optics, take classes, spend time building your dope book, and find a qualified source to help you when you’re kicking dirt. Oh, and have a quality Smith to repair the stuff you break trying to fix it yourself.

One last thing before y’all freak out. Apple is hands down the leader in privacy protection. There are settings available to stop as much tracking as Apple can control. The Covid tracking system has to be opted into. Yes, the ability exists for it to be abused but during the FBI terrorist locked iPhone debacle Apple showed it will fight to the bitter end before that happens.
BTW, even if you turn off every setting and use a VPN your carrier is going to propagate your aggregate location data. Even flip phones. Electronic Privacy doesn’t exist.

Ok, I’ve been up for 26 hours so it’s nap time. Y’all go ahead and have your melt down. I’ll be back later to enjoy the show.

I have always had issues with Android devices, before I got my iPhone, I used a Windows phone, worked great, no problems at all, then that phone went obsolete. When I started this thread, I was just making a statement that Apple needs to get the update right the first time, so you don’t have to keep updating the update.

I have always had issues with Android devices, before I got my iPhone, I used a Windows phone, worked great, no problems at all, then that phone went obsolete. When I started this thread, I was just making a statement that Apple needs to get the update right the first time, so you don’t have to keep updating the update.
I get that. My response was mostly directed to the litany of shared grief that ensued. But you’re right, the buggies are supposed to be resolved in Beta (which I’m a part of; Sometimes I’ll get 3 updates in one day lol) and public releases should be relatively benign. The current public release did something screwy to how the phones interact with WiFi/cell data and one of my friends still working for them said the rate of support calls has skyrocketed.

So maybe you can explain why my old 7 - which I use basically as an iPod, and occasional remote control for my sound system, with no cell service (generally in Plane mode), keeps telling me I need to enter my password for iCloud (or iTunes, or whatever that account is called)?? I keep wifi off unless I'm actively using it for a remote for my system, so it doesn't have any incoming signal at all...I have iCloud turned off, I have all the Cloud stuff turned off, I have all the sharing stuff and backup stuff turned off...but it keeps bugging me with that damned popup. A) how do I turn it off, and b) why is Apple so damned obsessed with keeping a phone, that is untethered to any type of system whatsoever, "logged in"??

Ok guys....I know I’m gonna step on a few toes here but 🤷‍♂️
I used to work for Apple support. I can understand some of your gripes about the batteries and the updates. In the past, the updates could be buggy -if you didn’t follow the recommended process- and that’s not how it should’ve been. There was no reason that a WiFi update should’ve been any different than a hardwired update. But, at the exact same time I had a Galaxy because I had certain projects that didn’t have apps in the Apple App Store. The Galaxy had different types of issues but there were plenty of them and they were just as annoying, if not more so.
Almost every complaint I read in this thread is something I could’ve resolved in minutes during a call into AppleCare (including several of the battery issues) and about 1/2 of those don’t even require an Apple Care plan, they’re free tech support. Have you tried Samsung tech support? They barely understand Android and it’s the only software they use. Tried to find a human@ google? 😆 good luck.

The dirty truth is Apple is a closed ecosystem and to participate you need to have $$. That includes being able to afford AppleCare and thus have tech support available 24/7. A perfect example is the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack in the X and beyond. They don’t care if people have 20 headphones that are now useless without an adapter that gets lost within days. You’re expected to be able to buy Bluetooth.

Yes updates are forced, no they don’t permanently brick devices (the few times they do AppleCare replaces the device), and yes you’re expected to trade your device at 2 year intervals. A lot of that mentality has begun to slowly change as Apple has moved into a cheaper market with the SE line but the closed ecosystem will always exist.

In gun terms: You can shoot far with a decent rifle but if you get into precision ELR type hardware you darn sure better be prepared to buy and fund a complete reloading set, high end optics, take classes, spend time building your dope book, and find a qualified source to help you when you’re kicking dirt. Oh, and have a quality Smith to repair the stuff you break trying to fix it yourself.

One last thing before y’all freak out. Apple is hands down the leader in privacy protection. There are settings available to stop as much tracking as Apple can control. The Covid tracking system has to be opted into. Yes, the ability exists for it to be abused but during the FBI terrorist locked iPhone debacle Apple showed it will fight to the bitter end before that happens.
BTW, even if you turn off every setting and use a VPN your carrier is going to propagate your aggregate location data. Even flip phones. Electronic Privacy doesn’t exist.

Ok, I’ve been up for 26 hours so it’s nap time. Y’all go ahead and have your melt down. I’ll be back later to enjoy the show.
No melt down from me, I’ve had iPhones for as long as I can remember. Work just fine for me. Never had any major issues.

I've never owned an Apple product. My wife had an update on all her apple stuff. Phone, macbook, ipod. Guess what happened. All of her devices were bricked. The update made them into paper weights. Apple forces you to buy the next gen. Her apple devices were only a few years old. My PC rig is lasting longer than that. Also apple uses out dated parts and tech. Their own propriety hardware isn't even competition worthy.

For the price of apple's top of the line pc. I can build rig to max capacity. Or a new gun and enough ammo to last a year. Yeah I don't like apple.

I got my first Mac ( iMac) in 2002. I’m on my second machine ( MacBook Pro) right now. So in 18 years I’m still on my second machine. Until last year the iPhone I had was an iPhone 3. And they are never paperweights until the OS is so obsolete they no longer support it. Which takes about 10 years or longer.

I don’t know anyone who has made it 18 years on 2 PCs.

So maybe you can explain why my old 7 - which I use basically as an iPod, and occasional remote control for my sound system, with no cell service (generally in Plane mode), keeps telling me I need to enter my password for iCloud (or iTunes, or whatever that account is called)?? I keep wifi off unless I'm actively using it for a remote for my system, so it doesn't have any incoming signal at all...I have iCloud turned off, I have all the Cloud stuff turned off, I have all the sharing stuff and backup stuff turned off...but it keeps bugging me with that damned popup. A) how do I turn it off, and b) why is Apple so damned obsessed with keeping a phone, that is untethered to any type of system whatsoever, "logged in"??
The iCloud password loop is a logic error that usually starts when an input password is being sent over data and gets interrupted. After that steps have to be taken to sign out to the point where the system lets go of the error. Depending on several factors it can take a number of steps. Your best bet is to call Apple Care (from a different phone). They can walk you through the steps. Because the issue is with iCloud it ‘should’ be a free call. I haven’t worked for them in several years so I’m not positive on that anymore but they’ll tell you in advance if not. If they want to charge you drop me a note and I can dig up a help desk article that will walk you through it.

It happened again, I make a harmless thread, and look, it went completely off the wall with all kinds of crap. This is why I don’t make to many threads unless there is a link associated with it, this harmless thread went off the deep end. I’m done with making these kinds of posts anymore.

I’m team IPhone. I’ve had one for 10 years now and I have an Android for my work phone. The ads on the Android are ridiculous because it’s run by Google. I don’t have any issues with Apple and Safari even after updates. The only bad IPhone I’ve had was the 5. The battery was junk. Some people I work with swear by Android it’s just not for me.

Back