testtest

Is a revolver a good carry gun?

The last one posted works today, not last night, but again, who am I.

Got to put more quarters in your computer to make it run properly! ;) And only US quarters.

I'm seeing so many new folks wanting handguns & I've lost count on how many don't know how to take them down for cleaning. I had to show a gent how to take down his new HK in my LGS a week ago. Some have a hard time racking the slide.

So I'm inclined to steer new folks towards revolvers lately.

My .02

There’s nothing wrong with a revolver as a defensive pistol, at all.

Last time I looked, the average number of rounds fired in self defense by non-LEO’s was still under 2 per incident, so even a 5-shot snub should be sufficient for the overwhelming majority of realistic incidents. If not...carry a backup.

The gentleman in the linked video is extremely knowledgeable. His emphasis on "limitations" should have been heard by everyone. He's one of few gun entertainers who has actual knowledge. My guess is he's or was a cop.

An enduring myth of revolvers is reliability. Revolver have more parts and more moving parts than semis. I've experienced 3 catastrophic failures with S&W revolvers. Thank God, all three were during training. I've never experienced a failure with excellent quality semis. When a revolver fails, it's almost always catastrophic, meaning it becomes a throwing weapon. In very rare circs where a semi might fail, it almost always can be remedied within seconds.

A double action revolver is of complex design. A semi is of simplistic design.

I have great affinity for revolvers. I used to rely upon a Model 60. Technology has vastly improved and dirt bags have become more viciously dirty.

The gentleman in the video was 100% correct. The FBI load in a Model 60 is difficult to control.

I refer to my Model 60 as a neck and up gun. It was my last prayer of remaining vertical if a bad guy would have had intentions of altering my geometry. At the distance of 90+% of gunfights, (under 10'), the probability of taking a bad guy's rounds wouldn't be encouraging for a good guy. Five rounds could be a fatal limitation if a good guy were confronted by more than one marauder. A revolver takes too long to reload, add many seconds to revolover reloading if under stress, and, worse, it requires a good guy to take his eyes off of deadly threat's hands. Eyes must always remain on a bad guy's hands. Hands are the only parts of a bad guy's body that are capable of killing good guys.

I'll get to the essence of my opinion: I agree 100% with the gentleman in the video. He certainly was knowledgeable. All self-defense weapons are personal preference. However, revolvers have too many potentially fatal limitations. Exacerbating revolver limitations is the unknown variable: the bad guy. Worsening the exacerbating factor is the high probability of confronting more than one bag guy. One good guy vs. one bad guy equals bad odds for the good guy.

I'm old school in many ways yet thriving in our digital era. Since I have a whole lotta fish yet to catch, I have a pronounced desire to remain vertical. I do appreciate a beautiful revolver. For my criteria, for bipedal and mean critter self-defense, an excellent quality semi has any revolver whipped.

I know that lightweight semis are all the rage in concealable handguns. However, as the gentleman in the video explained, there are concessions (trade-offs) with lightweight handguns. An armorer (He's a retired cop working a second gig.) at the law enforcement agency from which I'm honorably retired inspected by Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM. Retired cops must have their handguns inspected every five years before renewing their honorable retirement credentials. He told me that my EMP 3 was heavy compared to his lightweight Sig 9MM. I explained to him that my EMP 3's weight (I believe it weighs about 23 ounces) was an enhancement. I can rapid fire it without its muzzle leaving sight picture. I can't do that with my Model 60 firing the FBI load. I doubted whether the armorer could with his featherweight Sig 9MM. Hence, ballast has tactical advantage, within reason, of course. If weight weren't an issue, I'd urban carry my Springfield Armory TRP .45 Auto.

I'll forever adhere to the two Golden Rules of gun fighting:

1. The only known way of surviving gun fights is to avoid them
2. If Rule One ain't an option, don't get shot

The Silver Rule of Gun Fighting:

It's better to be a live witness than a dead hero.

Of course, the Silver Rule doesn't apply if your kids' lives were in peril. We'd all die to assure our kids' (and other loved ones') survival. It's paternal, not heroic.

The .44 Special is an excellent self-defense cartridge.

I hope you're able to find another 696.
Nope S&W 696 no dash with a 3" barrel prices are super high. When I sold my was because the amount of money that was offer, $3500.00 with factory banana grips is more than I would get for it now. Rich guys that want there toys now. I said no more than 5 five times and he keep going up in price.

You can find a 696-1 which comes with MIM parts and no firing pin on the hammer and a smooth back strap for $1600 up

I carried revolvers off and on duty during my 32 year career as a law enforcement officer. I still carry my engraved Model 49 S&W on occasion as my EDC. I quite often recommend a four inch revolver for newbies as a home defense gun as there is not as much to remember. Once it is loaded you can just point and shoot. The only problem with snub nosed 2 inch is that you have to practice a lot to be able to place your shots on target due to it's minimum sight radius. Just my 2 cents. :)

started with Glocks 17 and ended with Glocks 17. Later on they gave us G26 to carry off duty carry. Their bullets Windchester T series 127+p+ and in our shotguns 00 buck only. Thats the way it was as per the chief. Now that I'm retired, I couldn't carry that G26 as a off duty weapon. The only time I used it was on off duty jobs.

Depends on my mood. Usually carry the XDM 3.8 .45 with crimson trace green laser. But, I also carry the Judge with Hornady's .410 critical defense ammo which has a .41 cal. slug and two .35 cal. round balls in each round. Good luck.

Attachments

• 02475 Diamond Pro Polymer Grip.jpg
    02475 Diamond Pro Polymer Grip.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 158
I
Got to put more quarters in your computer to make it run properly! ;) And only US quarters.

I'm seeing so many new folks wanting handguns & I've lost count on how many don't know how to take them down for cleaning. I had to show a gent how to take down his new HK in my LGS a week ago. Some have a hard time racking the slide.

So I'm inclined to steer new folks towards revolvers lately.

My .02
Personally have told dozens of people to get a revolver first a good 38 special is easy to use my mother who has arthritis has trouble racking the slide on most semi-autos as well as dealing with recoil has no trouble using my ria m206. Alot of people stear clear of them because of the convenience of just changing the magazine a faster reloading time. If you train with a speed loader you can get a faster reload even though i don't carry a revolver often because i opt for a slimmer less noticeable lc9s they are a viable option for carrying or home defense in my opinion. In my experience when you are choosing a carry gun its something you need to be comfortable and confident with.

Back