testtest

Is Ammo Really More Expensive?

ChanceMcCall

Master Class
Digging into my ammo stash, I "rediscovered" some 9mm ammo bought in 1961. Price tags on the 100 round boxes were $6.00. However, that $6.00 in 1961 would now be $55.78 today. Given the ammo is basically range ammo, I know I can buy 100 rounds for less than .55 cents per round.

Interesting.

Well, bread was a nickel a loaf, a pound of bacon was 39¢, and you could go out for a steak dinner for about three bucks. Interesting correlation to be sure. It IS odd that the cost of the ammo back then is in the ballpark of what it is now, correcting for inflation. I would have expected it to be far less back then.

I do run across lots of guys complaining about the cost of ammo. To that I say, shooting is like playing golf. If one is going to complain about the cost of a lost golf ball, one should find another hobby. o_O

Ours is a hobby of people with disposable income. I don't know of anyone who can go out and spend $600 on ammo and not be able to put bread on the table.

As an aside, I am more concerned with REPLACING my ammo rather than the cost...;)

Just my 2¢

Cheers

Bob

why back in my day, i could buy a foot long Hersey's candy bar for a nickel.

i could buy a scoop of lemonade for 2¢

i could buy a comic book for 10¢, and return it later for a 5¢ refund.

my first car, cost me $350, and it was literally a nervous wreck, as well as i was, but i was young, and ornery

my first NEW pick up truck, stripped, and basic, cost me $3,500

i put a deposit on a new car last month. that new car, will cost me just under $25,000 when it arrives.

i bought ammo in 2020 at about $8.00 for a box of 50, 9MM

during the panic buying craze, i saw (but did not buy) .45 ACP going for about $90.00 per 50

we ain't gonna see that 5¢ candy bar no more

we ain't gonna see that $8.00 box of ammo no more either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digging into my ammo stash, I "rediscovered" some 9mm ammo bought in 1961. Price tags on the 100 round boxes were $6.00. However, that $6.00 in 1961 would now be $55.78 today. Given the ammo is basically range ammo, I know I can buy 100 rounds for less than .55 cents per round.

Interesting.
That would be 6 cents/round based on $6/100. Check your decimal. It happens? 2 zeros means move 2 to the left.

why back in my day, i could buy a foot long Hersey's candy bar for a nickel.

i could buy a scoop of lemonade for 2¢

i could buy a comic book for 10¢, and return it later for a 5¢ refund.

my first car, cost me $350, and it was literally a nervous wreck, as well as i was, but i was young, and ornery

my first NEW pick up truck, stripped, and basic, cost me $3,500

i put a deposit on a new car last month. that new car, will cost me just under $25,000 when it arrives.

i bought ammo in 2020 at about $8.00 for a box of 50, 9MM

during the panic buying craze, i saw (but did not buy) .45 ACP going for about $90.00 per 50

we ain't gonna see that 5¢ candy bar no more

we ain't gonna see that $8.00 box of ammo no more either.
I bet 9mm hits $8.50 ish again on the plinking stuff in the next year or so when all this cools down.

I bet 9mm hits $8.50 ish again on the plinking stuff in the next year or so when all this cools down.
I can guarantee you it won’t.

In pre-November 2008, you could buy 100rd packs of 9mm WWB at Walmart for $10.99–that’s .11/rd.

Then everyone lost their sh*t after the election.

9mm dried up, when you could find it, the price had gone up to $30-35 for that same 100rd WWB. Prices stayed like this until about 2011, when it finally made it through the chicken littles’ thick skulls that, despite the “Sky is falling!!!” warnings of the NRA and everyone else, there was no new gun legislation coming (and there wouldn’t be, either).

Prices were just starting to come around in 2011–100rd WWB for around $20-when Sandy Hook happened, and everyone decide to let their brains leak out of their ears and panic again. Now, it was $40 for that 100rd WWB pack. Stayed there for about two years, then finally in 2015, prices started to fall. Kept falling, too, until that 100rd WWB was back around $19-20.

Then…”Ermegerd!! Cronervrus!!!” idiots panicked YET AGAIN. Summer 2020 “Ermegerd!!! BLM!!!” idiots drove it up higher (to be fair, it was pretty much the same idiots every time).

Now, my point is—even when prices got to be the lowest they’d been in a decade in late 2019—around $190/case—they were still over 150% what that ammo cost in 2008 ($110/case).

The price will likely stabilize—if the chicken littles can keep their sh*t together, that is—at $250/case, or $25/100.

But, it won’t, because it would seem that, for the most part, and no matter how much they want to claim otherwise, the vast majority of gun owners are stupid, panicky animals…and that’s not gonna change, EVER.

i hope that is the case, as more ammo factories have thier full complement of workers back to work.

but i'd highly suspect about what i paid the other day, and that was $17.00, at the LGS....maybe online, a tad cheaper, but then sales tax and shipping....???

I can guarantee you it won’t.

In pre-November 2008, you could buy 100rd packs of 9mm WWB at Walmart for $10.99–that’s .11/rd.

Then everyone lost their sh*t after the election.

9mm dried up, when you could find it, the price had gone up to $30-35 for that same 100rd WWB. Prices stayed like this until about 2011, when it finally made it through the chicken littles’ thick skulls that, despite the “Sky is falling!!!” warnings of the NRA and everyone else, there was no new gun legislation coming (and there wouldn’t be, either).

Prices were just starting to come around in 2011–100rd WWB for around $20-when Sandy Hook happened, and everyone decide to let their brains leak out of their ears and panic again. Now, it was $40 for that 100rd WWB pack. Stayed there for about two years, then finally in 2015, prices started to fall. Kept falling, too, until that 100rd WWB was back around $19-20.

Then…”Ermegerd!! Cronervrus!!!” idiots panicked YET AGAIN. Summer 2020 “Ermegerd!!! BLM!!!” idiots drove it up higher (to be fair, it was pretty much the same idiots every time).

Now, my point is—even when prices got to be the lowest they’d been in a decade in late 2019—around $190/case—they were still over 150% what that ammo cost in 2008 ($110/case).

The price will likely stabilize—if the chicken littles can keep their sh*t together, that is—at $250/case, or $25/100.

But, it won’t, because it would seem that, for the most part, and no matter how much they want to claim otherwise, the vast majority of gun owners are stupid, panicky animals…and that’s not gonna change, EVER.
And you think if the NRA and everyone else quit warning people that there would still be no new gun legislation?

It'll come back down to probably $10-$11/50 rds.

Here's something. I have receipts, PRE pandemic, for 100 rd. packs of 230 gr. WWB that are the same price you can get it for today.

And you think if the NRA and everyone else quit warning people that there would still be no new gun legislation?

It'll come back down to probably $10-$11/50 rds.

Here's something. I have receipts, PRE pandemic, for 100 rd. packs of 230 gr. WWB that are the same price you can get it for today.
I think the NRA says the sky is falling to line its pockets.

Fact is, there hasn’t been any National legislation to actually hit the floor—or even make it out of committee—for decades, and the NRA has nothing to do with it.

Democrats are as serious about passing gun legislation as Republicans are about passing real tax reform, and that’s a fact.

It’s nothing but window dressing.

I think the NRA says the sky is falling to line its pockets.

Fact is, there hasn’t been any National legislation to actually hit the floor—or even make it out of committee—for decades, and the NRA has nothing to do with it.

Democrats are as serious about passing gun legislation as Republicans are about passing real tax reform, and that’s a fact.

It’s nothing but window dressing.
It's actually not a fact dude, it's just your opinion. Which I don't share. And which thankfully, the majority of Americans don't share. If democrats had a solid voting majority in the senate there would be new gun legislation right now.

i hope that is the case, as more ammo factories have thier full complement of workers back to work.

but i'd highly suspect about what i paid the other day, and that was $17.00, at the LGS....maybe online, a tad cheaper, but then sales tax and shipping....???
I think it’s probably going to settle in the $13-15.00 range eventually. I think the political landscape is going to prevent it going much lower. Let’s face it, if it hits $10 a box for 9mm we’re all going to buy as much as we can afford and then we’ll have come full circle and will have another election staring us in the face.

Interesting.
You have to take other factors into account such as the whole mass production and transportation of ingredients processes as well

It's actually not a fact dude, it's just your opinion. Which I don't share. And which thankfully, the majority of Americans don't share. If democrats had a solid voting majority in the senate there would be new gun legislation right now.
It is a fact.

Everyone said gun legislation was inevitable in 2009-10, when they controlled both houses and the White House.

Yet, not ONE SINGLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION regarding gun control was even introduced in either house.

Keep in swallowing what they’re feeding you, though, and ignore what actually happens.

It is a fact.

Everyone said gun legislation was inevitable in 2009-10, when they controlled both houses and the White House.

Yet, not ONE SINGLE PIECE OF LEGISLATION regarding gun control was even introduced in either house.

Keep in swallowing what they’re feeding you, though, and ignore what actually happens.
How many were introduced AND passed in the current house?

Interesting.
I think that your math is wrong, $6 in 1961 rates might be $24-30, but not more than that. I remember when a 16 oz bottle of pop cost .12 cents, and now I see it priced at over a dollar. Now that is inflation.

But in a lot of areas, I think prices have become unstable. And cheap prices are history.

With srp (cci400) prices and availability going the way of the dodo I found some 450 at Brownell's limiting at 2k/x amount of time costing 10c/piece was ridiculous, but woks good for 300bo loads using h110, lil gun and 296. This saves the 400s for the rest of the other srp loads. I'm lass concerned on pistol primers, but could enjoy finding some mlrp and lrp even though I'm fairly stocked.

Back