testtest

Is Ammo Really More Expensive?

I'll try to keep things on track by saying that adjusted for inflation & the massive devaluation of the USD the last 20 yrs. (-60%+), I'd say most generic ammo is likely comporabley priced to what things were back-in-the-day.

The difference I see is nowadays we have a greater selection of premium ammo loaded with much more advanced bullets than the limited Core-Lok, Power Point & comporable Federal bullets we had in the past so I see that premium ammo is likely much more expensive now than in the past.

The only things that kept ammo cheap was the massive imports of cheap surplus & factory ammo (old & new) from overseas. Folks got used to that and assumed it would be like that forever.

My. 02

Digging into my ammo stash, I "rediscovered" some 9mm ammo bought in 1961. Price tags on the 100 round boxes were $6.00. However, that $6.00 in 1961 would now be $55.78 today. Given the ammo is basically range ammo, I know I can buy 100 rounds for less than .55 cents per round.

Interesting.
I think 9mm in 1961 was a lot more rare, and perhaps pricier, than it is today wasn't it?

I used to buy primers for $125-150 per 5,000. I've purchased several 1,000 count lots for $100+ online. Small pistol primers are still scarce and manufacturers have announced price increases. Have you priced cars or pickup trucks lately? Homes?

I think that your math is wrong, $6 in 1961 rates might be $24-30, but not more than that. I remember when a 16 oz bottle of pop cost .12 cents, and now I see it priced at over a dollar. Now that is inflation.

But in a lot of areas, I think prices have become unstable. And cheap prices are history.
Plowboy, I buy bottles of soda every day at convenience stores all over my state, and they are going for $2.00-2.25 each these days. They are now 20oz, I'll grant you that...prices on ammo may ease back a little, but they never go where we want them to...inflation will eat up the demand increases as demand falls...

Plowboy, I buy bottles of soda every day at convenience stores all over my state, and they are going for $2.00-2.25 each these days. They are now 20oz, I'll grant you that...prices on ammo may ease back a little, but they never go where we want them to...inflation will eat up the demand increases as demand falls...
Yes, bottles of pop are $2 at the Wal Mart check out, and I am behind the times. I never buy pop at the register, I always get a 2 liter. I think that you are right, ammo prices will never go back to where they were. The sellers know the people will pay $1 or more per round now.

I recently found some 9mm Feds 124 gr for .30 a round and bought 250. If you shop around regularly you will come across some less expensive ammo. Will likely never again be cheap. But lets face it, if you wanted cheap meat, you wouldn't go hunting to get some. If you wanted cheap fish, you wouldn't go fishing to get some. Golf isn't cheap, computer gaming isn't cheap, ECT.ECT. If you want to do something cheap buy a frisbee and go play with the dog. Fun inexpensive and you will make someone very happy. If you love shooting, and like some of us have more then 2 or 3 (or 9 or 10), yes its a pain in the Joe, cant say some banned words, to see it go up but is anyone here really going to NOT buy anymore? Just like fishing, I'm still fueling up the boat buying bait and supplies and still heading out on the water even though fuel keeps going up along with everything else. Just have to learn to cut costs somewhere else so my habits don't have to suffer to much. 😉

I recently found some 9mm Feds 124 gr for .30 a round and bought 250. If you shop around regularly you will come across some less expensive ammo. Will likely never again be cheap. But lets face it, if you wanted cheap meat, you wouldn't go hunting to get some. If you wanted cheap fish, you wouldn't go fishing to get some. Golf isn't cheap, computer gaming isn't cheap, ECT.ECT. If you want to do something cheap buy a frisbee and go play with the dog. Fun inexpensive and you will make someone very happy. If you love shooting, and like some of us have more then 2 or 3 (or 9 or 10), yes its a pain in the Joe, cant say some banned words, to see it go up but is anyone here really going to NOT buy anymore? Just like fishing, I'm still fueling up the boat buying bait and supplies and still heading out on the water even though fuel keeps going up along with everything else. Just have to learn to cut costs somewhere else so my habits don't have to suffer to much. 😉
I'm getting ready to sell my fishing boat this spring to help fund my firearms habit;)

I think the NRA says the sky is falling to line its pockets.

Fact is, there hasn’t been any National legislation to actually hit the floor—or even make it out of committee—for decades, and the NRA has nothing to do with it.

Democrats are as serious about passing gun legislation as Republicans are about passing real tax reform, and that’s a fact.

It’s nothing but window dressing.
Truth.

I think 9mm in 1961 was a lot more rare, and perhaps pricier, than it is today wasn't it?

9mm in corrosive was often sold by the buckets for very cheap prices as there was a lot of German WWII surplus. There was also a fair amount of war ammo in 9mm being dumped by other countries as well. The ammo in my stash was non corrosive which made it somewhat more expensive.

Well back when I started driving when I went to the gas station and put in $5.00 worth of gas it cost me $5.00. Having just turned 65 when I go and put in $5.00 it still costs me $5.00.
When I was young $5 would buy about 4 gallons of gas. But now it won’t get you 2 gallons around here, with prices around $3 per gallon of gasoline.

I have noticed that a $50 bill, is eaten up when I buy groceries, and it has become like the $20 of 1980.

https://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_was_Gallon_of_Gas_in_1980
I had to look up the price of gas to verify my thinking. Because I can recall when it was .35 cents per gallon.

I recently turned 66 and I am shocked at the America that is before me. It is a worse place than it was in 1980, and It’s been a bad trade off in a lot of ways.

Last edited:
Well back when I started driving when I went to the gas station and put in $5.00 worth of gas it cost me $5.00. Having just turned 65 when I go and put in $5.00 it still costs me $5.00.
When I was young $5 would buy about 4 gallons of gas. But now it won’t get you 2 gallons around here, with prices around $3 per gallon of gasoline.

I have noticed that a $50 bill, is eaten up when I buy groceries, and it has become like the $20 of 1980.

And I can remember when gas was about .30 cents per gallon. That is a spectacular difference.

It is technologically better in America, but the society is so much worse.

(Note: I had to rely on Answers.com for the figures.)

Last edited:
There's just me and my 106 lb wife and we haven't had a $50 grocery bill in as long as I can remember.

Prices I can remember:

Pack of smokes- $.55
Gallon of gas- $. 90
Lid of grass- $13.50 with a pack of zig zags
6 pack of Busch- $1.50
Vendramini hiking boots- $50
Used 1970 Duster w/slant six- $200
Concert tickets- $8.00
New Gibson SG - $400
Good tube amp - $125
M65 mil. surplus army coat w/zip in liner from Uncle Sams- $15.00
Bellbottom Levis- $13
Beating the hell out of a loudmouth football player in first wing hallway at lunch time- 3 days in the cage ( in school suspension).

There's just me and my 106 lb wife and we haven't had a $50 grocery bill in as long as I can remember.

Prices I can remember:

Pack of smokes- $.55
Gallon of gas- $. 90
Lid of grass- $13.50 with a pack of zig zags
6 pack of Busch- $1.50
Vendramini hiking boots- $50
Used 1970 Duster w/slant six- $200
Concert tickets- $8.00
New Gibson SG - $400
Good tube amp - $125
M65 mil. surplus army coat w/zip in liner from Uncle Sams- $15.00
Bellbottom Levis- $13
Beating the hell out of a loudmouth football player in first wing hallway at lunch time- 3 days in the cage ( in school suspension).

Youngster. :D

I got a few friends that keep complaining about the cost of ammo today. With this kind of hobby, prices will fluctuate at times especially when you get hoarders. I mean you can’t compare prices of old with today’s, raw materials prices are up, also with limited workers and shortages of people who want to work anymore. It all comes together to make ammo prices go up, I mean you can’t go but .99 gas now. My opinion is as long as I can find the ammo I need and also as long as it doesn’t cost an arm or leg I will get it.

I got a few friends that keep complaining about the cost of ammo today. With this kind of hobby, prices will fluctuate at times especially when you get hoarders. I mean you can’t compare prices of old with today’s, raw materials prices are up, also with limited workers and shortages of people who want to work anymore. It all comes together to make ammo prices go up, I mean you can’t go but .99 gas now. My opinion is as long as I can find the ammo I need and also as long as it doesn’t cost an arm or leg I will get it.
Agree anni

Back