testtest

Is anonymity still attainable?

Which is best anonymity or disclosure of a sheep dog's identity?

• Disclose identity

• Shield identity

Results are only viewable after voting.

Classified

Professional
Founding Member
I've just been thinking about how difficult life becomes after one is involved in a firefight. One's life can be torn apart so quickly with the constant barrage of media. However, I recall an incident with an Arizona Highway Patrol where a citizen intervened and saved the life of a trooper. It seems they managed to shield the civilians identity for a decent amount of time. It almost makes me think this could have gone on indefinately.

It seems to me that this type of protection should be afforded to anyone involved in such an incident. If not only for privacy, for the sake of prevention. If the shooters identities are kept from the media it would serve as a warning to anyone contemplating an act of violence.

What do you think?

The Fourth Estate is loaded with anti gunners that will always want to print the ‘good guy with a gun‘s‘ name along with their specifics, and do what they can to vilify them. Those in the press that aren’t as anti gun, will always claim it‘s their right to print the ‘truth’ on a story and hound/pay their sources to get these names. I agree with xdman on social media, as this is the first place a reporter will go to search once they get a name. This is one of the main reasons I am not on any social media platforms (until now with this forum (you should all feel honored ;))), and try to stay as invisible to the net as I can. Big Brother is always watching & listening.

I try to operate under the assumption that members of the media are not your friends. The best thing you can hope to do is remain invisible. Now, to your point, the media is hell bent to make sure they expose anyone and everyone they can to drive drama. After all, without drama what would the media do...actually report the news in an unbiased way? Crazy talk.

I am always confused when people actually agree to speak to the media regardless of the situation. These days, people have to know that the media will take whatever you say and twist it to fit their agenda. I read an article recently where the guy was making a point about being careful what you say to the police..."you can always talk your way into jail but you'll never talk your way out." The same principle applies to the media. They're going to create enough trouble for you on their own. There's no sense in helping them out by giving them an interview.

I don't do the social media FB and the rest. I am a moderator on a site but not under my name.
Now what I have found is that not being there doesn't matter. What does matter is every person
you know or have known is most likely on social media if some kind. Old classmates and military
friends are looking for you so post all the info they have. Family is posting on Ancestry every little
thing about you. All our credit cards have been hacked and here in SC so have our tax returns.
As military I'm in the DOD system. A pilot I'm in FAA and former FFL holder in the ATF. We are
all in the IRS and many in Medicare. State has our prints for the CWP.
Unless you are well prepared for the results, never Google your own name!

True, there's really no hiding your info any longer. I don't do FB or twitter, but have and still participate in other forums/sites. My info has been on file since I joined the Navy back in '71, which lasted 21 yrs, so they've got all the "stats" as far as family background, etc. If you had any kind of security clearance while in the military a thorough background check was done. Heck, they go so far as talking to former teachers, etc.

It should be law to shield the identity of any person that shows the courage it intervene, risking their own life to save another if that citizen chooses to remain anonymous for protection of that good law abiding citizen and their families. Ending a threat doesn't mean there will not be reprisals from the offenders family or friends or also the media dragging your name through the mud and ruining a person's personal life for making probably the toughest decision of their life which is to take another's life even if that cause is just and there is no other option.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that we live in America... and everything is a double edged sword. Arrest records, incident reports, and even government emails and documents are a matter of public record, and if we start choosing what we do and do no cover up, it could have a negative impact when someone goes to request records or documents that should legitimately be known to the public.

In a perfect world, these types incidents where a citizen steps in to assist would be protected, but when weighed against the transparency of how our public officials operate, I'd choose the freedom of information over an incident that is a part of a public record any day.

Just as a point, I complete see the point of the original poster and others in this discussion -- I'm not claiming my position is correct, just that it is an opinion. :)

Back