testtest

Is Carrying a Micro 1911 a Mistake?

Admire your confidence, but I don't know that I will always hit my target under the sort of stress I would expect to be under in a home invasion/break in scenario. It's not reasonable to expect them to remain still like a range target. What happens if there are four assailants but you need two shots to end the treat from each of the first three? I don't want to assume the last will automatically disengage.

In theory, one shot should be enough to end the threat from a single individual. I choose not to stake my life on that. I would rather have eight left in my XDm for any more potential threats than need to hope I have time to reload my sixgun.

Bravado sounds good, but in practice it could get you killed. In a fight for your life your goal should only be to win, not gain style points in the process.
What are the odds that if there ARE multiple assailants, they’re going to stick around when you drop the first one?

They ain’t a Spetznaz wet team…

I don't use semi for night stands. I'm a little old fashioned 6 shooter no worries about accidentally firing gun. No burgler hears a slide. Hollowpoint 357 will stop anybody and scare anybody thats with them. That ends accidents but stops intruders. Wife has a 7.62x25 and she is my backup. Her gun has little recoil and she can handle with ease. If you can't do it in 6 shots you have no business having a weapon that holds more. Your an accident waiting to happen. They do make speed loaders for 6 shooters.
I have an 8 shot revolver for that duty…mainly because i shoot it better one handed and in less than perfect shooting stance. Also less chance of a malfunction if you don’t get perfect grip.

Then again, I consider a bedside pistol as my absolute, last ditch, everything’s gone pear-shaped option, not my primary defense.

I get what your saying. A speed loader drops just as fast as a magazine. You have to keep in mind hallways and tight spaces, you will not have line of sight on all assailants. I keep to speed loaders in police carry holster. I have back up a wife with a semi auto and 3 magazines. If you have ever used a 357 the muzzle fire and sound are scarier than an auto. I keep my xd45 close if needed in another place with 3 13 round magazines. Always have more than one gun in a 2 story house you never know where you will be when **** hits the fan
If you shoot a .357mag indoors without ear pro you may just say goodbye to your hearing or at least may need to get used to reduced hearing and constant tinnitus for the rest of your life.

.357mag has a much higher decibel rating than most 12 gauge rounds.

I hear your pain there. Although I now have the 4" emp contour, I also accept that the Sig is a very nice gun. But the lack of a grip safety had me starting with a Springfield Mod 2, 4" ds. These do employ a grip safety and are very effective and have a 16+ capacity. It was a very nice gun, but with a striker fired trigger. I still believe the Mod 2 grip is amazing and went to a single stack as a bedside protector, but still missed the 1911 trigger enough to get the contour for EDC. I suppose my point would be that you do have a few options depending on your personal preferences inside the Springfield catalog.

I hear your pain with the three inches. I have the 4" contour and have enough rounds through training to have already replaced the barrel. But I have shot the 3" and not only was disappointed in the accuracy, but also the action as it didn't cycle, 'well.' I don't claim to be a gunsmith, and the gun in question was still not broken in, but perhaps a three inch just is a little short for a 1911? I've had the normal grunts and groans of breaking in a 1911. I don't trust one unless I've put a few hundred rounds through any gun, but especially a gun of this design. I expect malfunctions during the break in process, but after that, I have the up most security in the firearm. This has not been my experience with any 1911 under 4". The questionable accuracy, reliability and security is just not worth it. These comments are inclusive of many other brands of 1911, some for three times the price. For what it's worth. My best of luck to you.

I don't use semi for night stands. I'm a little old fashioned 6 shooter no worries about accidentally firing gun. No burgler hears a slide. Hollowpoint 357 will stop anybody and scare anybody thats with them. That ends accidents but stops intruders. Wife has a 7.62x25 and she is my backup. Her gun has little recoil and she can handle with ease. If you can't do it in 6 shots you have no business having a weapon that holds more. Your an accident waiting to happen. They do make speed loaders for 6 shooters.

I agree and applaud your point of view and experience in what you've written. But (always one of these, isn't there?) I LOVE the sound of the slide just as my wife loves the sound of the chunk/chunk of the shotgun. I don't want to shoot anyone. The slide sounds "may" make them just bug out without giving a precise location away. That said, if they touch the handle to the door in question - I don't need ten rounds to make their poor decision a last one. All my best to you and your safety.

I get what your saying. A speed loader drops just as fast as a magazine. You have to keep in mind hallways and tight spaces, you will not have line of sight on all assailants. I keep to speed loaders in police carry holster. I have back up a wife with a semi auto and 3 magazines. If you have ever used a 357 the muzzle fire and sound are scarier than an auto. I keep my xd45 close if needed in another place with 3 13 round magazines. Always have more than one gun in a 2 story house you never know where you will be when **** hits the fan

YES!! If you choose to defend yourself/home/belongings I applaud you. But the comment on having multiple guns available within the home is absolutely, 100% true. Do it or don't do it. Leave the grey area to the criminals - not the protectors.

I'm just not very accurate with my Kimber micro-9.I really like the size, and it feels good in my hand, even after 500 rounds, I'm still not accurate. So I went back to packing H/K SK200 in.40. Its a little bigger, but I am deadly accurate with it. But hey, that's just me.
I had a micro 9 Rapide ... and that trigger pull was way to much and i traded it in for a Emp 3 inch and damn i am happy witha butter trigger. And i am as deadly with it as i am with my Jerricho 941FS9.

Please explain.
Shotgun ( or slide ) racking scaring off intruders. Multiple armed assailants, one gets shot, the rest run away, etc.

Sure that stuff "might" happen. I ain't betting my life on it though. Particularly the bit about bad guys being scared off by a gun being cycled/racked. That essentially means the gun you keep on hand to protect your life and the lives of your family is unloaded.

Shotgun ( or slide ) racking scaring off intruders. Multiple armed assailants, one gets shot, the rest run away, etc.

Sure that stuff "might" happen. I ain't betting my life on it though. Particularly the bit about bad guys being scared off by a gun being cycled/racked. That essentially means the gun you keep on hand to protect your life and the lives of your family is unloaded.
It's true. I do not keep my guns in condition one, aside from my EDC. These guns are stored fully loaded but not with a round in the chamber. I believe under the conditions of retrieving these firearms allows me time to rack them. I train my family in doing this - and don't believe that the three seconds it takes to 'rack' the firearm extends the danger. We don't sleep with our firearms, although they are only a step and reach away. If the three seconds costs me myself or my family - I don't think the situation would have likely turned out differently, had they all been chambered. A small measure of common-sense safety in my opinion.
As for the noise: I can only hope. I don't have a high opinion of anyone who has invaded my home. I would have to consider them cowards by nature if by night and complete idiots if done by day. Myself, my Wife and my oldest Son EDC. I think we will have to agree to disagree on these points.

Back