testtest

Is Everything You Know About .40 Wrong?

The first handgun I ever fired was a .40 S&W. I had never fired a handgun before I started my police academy training several decades ago, so I had nothing to compare it to. My department switched to 9mm, with the option to carry a .45 acp, as my career as an officer was coming to an end. The author states that the cops he knows were not happy to move down in caliber, but almost all of the officers I worked with had no problem making the switch.

It may have just been the Glock 22's that we were issued, but the vast majority of us agreed that the .40's were snappy and less pleasant to shoot than either the Glock 17 or the Glock 21. I don't hate the .40 S&W in general, but anytime I have fired the same/similar guns in different calibers, I have almost never preferred the .40 S&W. The only exception is that I genuinely like the S&W SD40VE (I was as surprised as anyone).

I'm not the type to declare any cartridge to be the hands-down best choice, or to declare that any caliber is dying. The .40 S&W is a valid choice for home or self defense, but so are 9mm or .45 acp (or .38 SPL, .357 Mag, and others). At this point, I consider the .40 S&W to be an acquired taste. I'm still just happy to live in a place where I have multiple options.

I like the .40 S&W. I've no problem with the recoil in 165 or 180 gr. Out of my Walther PPW M2, it's a potent combo. With the PPQ's excellent trigger, triple taps are attainable. For carry, I prefer the Hornady Critical Duty 175gr offering. Would I want .40 in my SIG P365 or Hellcat? No, even though I shoot both those guns with +P, so I'm used to a little shouted recoil, +P 9's are still weaker than the .40.
The Walther's my winter carry gun, being full sized. A little big to conceal in summer garb

I shoot some .40 in my 10mm 1911 Ronin based on availability of ammo. Cycles fine with what I've been using. 10mm has been rising (price) over the last month or 2 (after 4-5 months of coming down). Hard to pay $.70+/round each range trip where I might shoot 150-200 rounds (for low-power target S&B or Magtech). I've got only 1 shop selling 10mm for $27.99/box whereas all other shops are still asking $35.99/box for 180grain target loads.

I think there are FAR too many pistols out there chambered in .40 for the world to say it's "dying". The bulk of this discussion is entirely subjective and different for each shooter....snappiness. Snappy is in the eye of the beholder.

Just signed on to the site and read my first article. When I first entered law enforcement I was issued a .38 special, it was a fun shooter. After many years the department purchased the 9mm Sig 226. About 2 years later the department learned that a heavier round was needed, the Sig P220 was purchased and well received by almost all of the officers. As luck would have it they also required officers to purchase the .40 as a back-up. Think it was the best thing the department did. I am now retired but I still carry the 40.
Each shooter has their own personal favorite and there is no need to cut each others throats.

So, reading comments…

It amuses me how some people will say “.40 isn’t snappy, it’s some shooters aren’t manly enough” (I paraphrase), but then go on to praise how much more energy the .40 has over 9mm.

Folks, you can’t have it both ways; if a round has more energy, it’s gonna have more recoil in a comparable platform (XDm9 to XDm40, G17 to G22, etc).

TANSTAAFL—and Ike Newton proved it 400 or so years ago.

Seriously—run it against a timer in a set drill (Bill Drill is excellent in this capacity).

To get equal accuracy, in equivalent platforms, you’re going to be slower with the .40. It’s up to the shooter to decide if it’s enough to make a difference.

Folks, you can’t have it both ways; if a round has more energy, it’s gonna have more recoil in a comparable platform (XDm9 to XDm40, G17 to G22, etc).

What I wonder is how many have truly tested themselves with timed, scored standards, in their comparisons, within-platform.

I absolutely believe that it is valid to sacrifice tenths of seconds of splits in the chase for better terminal ballistics, particularly if the shooter is able to explain and validate their logic.

But the "just as fast/just as good" argument cannot be substantiated without quantification, and is self-contradictory when argued against the terminal ballistics (i.e. arguing "in-reverse," in that modern premium defensive/duty 9x19 is "almost as good" as the same in .40 S&W).

Ha!

See my addendum to my earlier post…

Jinx - you owe me a
1641925264572.png

Had joined the site and decided to load the mags I had just purchased for my M&P Shield 40. To my dismay the new mags would not accept even the first cartridge. Called Smith & Wesson, the tech would not even discuss the problem or render a solution. Pretty much takes care of S&W, does anyone have a solution for fixing th mags if possible ?
Thanks

Had joined the site and decided to load the mags I had just purchased for my M&P Shield 40. To my dismay the new mags would not accept even the first cartridge. Called Smith & Wesson, the tech would not even discuss the problem or render a solution. Pretty much takes care of S&W, does anyone have a solution for fixing th mags if possible ?
Thanks
Let’s see a picture of your bad magazine

Thanks
Define “not accept”.

Also, have you tried more than one type of ammo?

So, reading comments…

It amuses me how some people will say “.40 isn’t snappy, it’s some shooters aren’t manly enough” (I paraphrase), but then go on to praise how much more energy the .40 has over 9mm.

TANSTAAFL—and Ike Newton proved it 400 or so years ago.

Seriously—run it against a timer in a set drill (Bill Drill is excellent in this capacity).

To get equal accuracy, in equivalent platforms, you’re going to be slower with the .40. It’s up to the shooter to decide if it’s enough to make a difference.
Some people claim the .40 is more "Snappy" than the .45. I claim the recoil from either is nothing to get excited about.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Is Everything You Know About .40 Wrong?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-everything-you-know-about-40-wrong/.

The 40 is a great round that got a bad rap from people who did not know or were not taught how to shoot properly.

The simple solution is to have one or more of each caliber and rounds and/or reloading components for all them. when thing get squirrelly, and ammo is difficult to find... maybe you can find one or the other and or can roll your own either way you are covered.

The 40 is a great round that got a bad rap from people who did not know or were not taught how to shoot properly.

The simple solution is to have one or more of each caliber and rounds and/or reloading components for all them. when thing get squirrelly, and ammo is difficult to find... maybe you can find one or the other and or can roll your own either way you are covered.
I have 4 in chambered in 40s&w, some I've barrel swapped to 9mm and other to 357 sig. Personally love the 357 SIG round though it's getting very hard to find nothing about the 40 is snappy compared to that... Few years ago bought a 40 XD Springfield service model from a LEO and it is the most accurate and fun handgun to shoot that I have, it's just heavy and frame is to large for me to IWB carry ..

I have 4 in chambered in 40s&w, some I've barrel swapped to 9mm and other to 357 sig. Personally love the 357 SIG round though it's getting very hard to find nothing about the 40 is snappy compared to that... Few years ago bought a 40 XD Springfield service model from a LEO and it is the most accurate and fun handgun to shoot that I have, it's just heavy and frame is to large for me to IWB carry ..
That’s why it’s not snappy the frame is heavy depends on the gun

Back