testtest

Is It Safe to Carry a Handgun Fully Loaded?

“Carrying without one in the chamber is like telling yourself you have enough time to put on a seatbelt before an accident.” Life happens in the blink of an eye it’s always smartest to prepare for the worst case scenario and prey for the best case scenario.

My take on the article was a discussion of which types of firearms are physically safe to carry with a round in the chamber, as opposed to the theoretical discussion we have had here repeatedly. For example, older styles of revolvers without transfer-bar firing pins are UNsafe to carry as such, since a blow to the hammer from the outside could fire the round in the chamber since the firing pin (part of the hammer) sits in contact with the primer when the hammer is down.

My take on the article was a discussion of which types of firearms are physically safe to carry with a round in the chamber, as opposed to the theoretical discussion we have had here repeatedly. For example, older styles of revolvers without transfer-bar firing pins are UNsafe to carry as such, since a blow to the hammer from the outside could fire the round in the chamber since the firing pin (part of the hammer) sits in contact with the primer when the hammer is down.
I think this discussion is more relevant to semiautomatic handguns versus revolvers.

The article pointed out different types of handguns (revolvers included), and discussed the pros and cons of carrying any of them with a loaded chamber. The article did not discuss the theory of WHY you want to carry a gun with a loaded chamber, only what types of guns were physically safe to do so.

If you want to discuss theory, you are correct - it is more applicable to semiauto handguns. But the article did not discuss that - the article was about physical characteristics. Characteristics of both revolvers, and semiauto.

The article pointed out different types of handguns (revolvers included), and discussed the pros and cons of carrying any of them with a loaded chamber. The article did not discuss the theory of WHY you want to carry a gun with a loaded chamber, only what types of guns were physically safe to do so.

If you want to discuss theory, you are correct - it is more applicable to semiauto handguns. But the article did not discuss that - the article was about physical characteristics. Characteristics of both revolvers, and semiauto.
Thanks, Joe.

Well, technically, if you carried an older SAA without a round under the hammer, you actually ARE carrying chambered, since it’s not the round under the hammer which is your first shot, as cocking the hammer rotates the cylinder.

All you are doing in that case is reducing your capacity by 1/6th...

Very true. And THAT was the point of the article - the physical reasoning behind having/not having one in the chamber, not the argument about the tactics of a chambered round versus racking one in when needed. But, it seems most people see the question posted in the title, and assume they know what the article is about...

When I leave my house/home and i'm carrying a semi auto I put one in the chamber before I walk out the door. I only carry my DA revolvers and they are fully loaded.

Back