testtest

Is Modernizing the SA-35 a Mistake?

First - you can’t find them in stores for love nor money. And Second - if you do it’s a crap shoot whether you’re going to get a good one or not. Springfield could have captured the market with the SA-35 but whatever went wrong went wrong in a big way and a massive opportunity was squandered.
I dared to make that point here a few months back and got jumped on. It’s a shame because I wanted one badly but now wouldn’t buy one on a bet.

A year later and you still can’t find one anywhere but maybe one of the auction sites for a premium (which its isn’t worth). Other companies seem to do a better job releasing new products. Sig announced the P365X Macro and S&W announced the M&P 2.0 Metal and both were able to be purchased for normal retail cost within a week or two.

Being a lefty I added a Cylinder and Slide ambidextrous safety.
20220402_233702.jpg

If folks want to further "modernize" their BHPs or any of the replicas (like the SA-35) BHSS has 17 rd. MecGar Magazines (15 +2 rd. extensions) to up the mag capacity, comparable to more "modern" semi-auto designs mag capacities.

To me, an Ambidextrous firearm has all controls ambidextrous, and a truly good ambidextrous firearms has all factors considered for left handed shooting, to include ejections of rounds.

Some controls being ambi, or just a consideration for ejecting rounds for left handed shooters (M16A2), are nice and are ambi "features", but doesn't make it an "Ambi firearm", just more Ambi friendly.

For lefties, their trigger finger works the magazine release button.
Yes, and having an Ambi safety makes it more friendly and easier to use than a none ambi safety for left handed shooters. BUT, a true Ambi Firearm, a left handed shooters does not have to adapt to do things differently than a right hand shooter. Just one or two Ambi features means they have to adapt and alter procedures less, and thus more ambi friendly.

The FN is the FN Hi-Power. It has a polymer frame which turns off some hi-power fans immediately.

Not being invested in the SA-35, I don't really have a dog in the fight, its just a thing to re-invent a long time favorite just seems always to cause a split of half hating it and half loving it.

I like 1911's and intrigued by the 2011 update/re-invention, but its for 9mm, true it can be done in .45ACP, but a cursory investigation finds parts so hard to find. Most of the 1911 parts work with the 2011, but the ones that are 2011 specific are expensive and/or hard to find, and magazines being more than $100 and not even available for .45 ACP dampens the mood.

To me, an Ambidextrous firearm has all controls ambidextrous, and a truly good ambidextrous firearms has all factors considered for left handed shooting, to include ejections of rounds.

Some controls being ambi, or just a consideration for ejecting rounds for left handed shooters (M16A2), are nice and are ambi "features", but doesn't make it an "Ambi firearm", just more Ambi friendly.

Yes, and having an Ambi safety makes it more friendly and easier to use than a none ambi safety for left handed shooters. BUT, a true Ambi Firearm, a left handed shooters does not have to adapt to do things differently than a right hand shooter. Just one or two Ambi features means they have to adapt and alter procedures less, and thus more ambi friendly.

Exactly.

The FN is the FN Hi-Power. It has a polymer frame which turns off some hi-power fans immediately.
The entirely new FN pistol is called the "High-Power" not the traditional "Hi-Power" that FN designated the original. The name similarity is a marketing ploy.

And the only similarity the new FN "High Power" has with the original is an outward resemblance, with no parts compatibility with the original. The only thing the two pistols have in common is the 9mm ammo.

The entirely new FN pistol is called the "High-Power" not the traditional "Hi-Power" that FN designated the original. The name similarity is a marketing ploy.

And the only similarity the new FN "High Power" has with the original is an outward resemblance, with no parts compatibility with the original. The only thing the two pistols have in common is the 9mm ammo.
Thank you, and I'm not being sarcastic, that is an subtle but significant distinction in the name, that I was not aware of. I think FN discontinued their traditional Hi-Power, or is it simply out of stock? But I can see the confusion that can come from not knowing the names.

I'm seeing differing opinions on the new FN High Power, some are its a nice pistol that is looks like the old one as a throw back to the past. To its an overpriced plastic gun that has nothing to do with original, and proof of the misguided goals, they kept the thumb depression on the slide even though its totally unused with the new design of the pistol.

Thank you, and I'm not being sarcastic, that is an subtle but significant distinction in the name, that I was not aware of. I think FN discontinued their traditional Hi-Power, or is it simply out of stock? But I can see the confusion that can come from not knowing the names.

I'm seeing differing opinions on the new FN High Power, some are its a nice pistol that is looks like the old one as a throw back to the past. To its an overpriced plastic gun that has nothing to do with original, and proof of the misguided goals, they kept the thumb depression on the slide even though its totally unused with the new design of the pistol.
No worries.

Yes, FN discontinued the original design (the Mk.III was the last variant) in the late 90's due to their points that sales had declined, and some had reported the tooling was worn out.

The opinions of those, I think, are based on FN "word-smithing" the name & marketing the new pistol as some re-imaging the original, with a spendy price point.

The success & demand for the original design remains with the SA-35 and the various Girsan models, all of which are various variations on the original FN-made BHP, albeit entirely or significantly made in Turkey.

While the prices of the original on places like Gunbroker are higher than the SA-35 & Girsans one can still find very nice originals there that have been imported from Israel at prices not much higher than the SA-35 & Girsans.

The new FN pistol is what it is & needs to find its place in a crowded marketplace full of pistol with similar features & capabilities.

My .02

Back