testtest

Is the 1911 Dangerous to Carry?

Removing ANY factory installed safety device from a firearm is unwise. If you don't like the design, pick a different platform. I have encountered revolvers where the user had removed the drop safety from a S&W DA revolver. For what purpose? Removal of the trigger guard other than in extreme weather environments where heavy gloves are worn makes no sense for daily carry. And so on.

Most firearms are designed with safety margins built in, some of which are not readily apparent. Many firearm design lessons were learned the hard way over the past 1000 or so years. Remove the safety margins and the law of cascading effects from variations of technique will eventually result in an unintentional discharge.

Removing ANY factory installed safety device from a firearm is unwise. If you don't like the design, pick a different platform. I have encountered revolvers where the user had removed the drop safety from a S&W DA revolver. For what purpose? Removal of the trigger guard other than in extreme weather environments where heavy gloves are worn makes no sense for daily carry. And so on.

Most firearms are designed with safety margins built in, some of which are not readily apparent. Many firearm design lessons were learned the hard way over the past 1000 or so years. Remove the safety margins and the law of cascading effects from variations of technique will eventually result in an unintentional discharge.
Not that I’m advocating it, but…in the early 20th century, a VERY accomplished handgunner was a very strong proponent of removing your defensive pistols trigger guard…hence the “Fitz Special”.

And, a few years ago, I stumbled upon a very early Centennial Lightweight that had the modification…and while I have shot it…I don’t think I’d ever carry it unless there was no other option (which is too bad, because it has the best trigger I’ve ever felt on a J-frame). Not because I think it’s unsafe, but more for sheer headache it would cause my defense if I ended up using it.
57EF6501-05E3-480D-ACE1-D525BE51E4DA.jpeg

I have carried a full size GI Model for nearly two decades now, and I have to say I'd pick one of the many 1911's I've owned or still own over a striker fired pistol for two main reasons. 1.I just can't believe the difference in recoil a polymer 9mm or 45ACP has when compared to a heavy framed 1911 45ACP and 2.Though some 1911's can be finicky about certain ammo types, just about everybody makes a SD round that will feed well while others refuse to. (In my case with my current, I can't shoot speer gold dots or sign v-crowns) I usually handload some Hornady XTP 230 grain HP's over some CFE pistol for snappy SD loads or some Longshot if I want something not as stout. I also love accurate No.2 it's a great powder to get the cannonballs flying. To me there isn't a gun that can be more safe to carry, I carry appendix carry in a leather IWB holster most of the time, in the winter time like now I usually carry in a shoulder holster so I don't need to remove my gun to sit down comfortably, plus I like a vertical shoulder holster over a horizontal one for ease of concealment, I'm not a thick tall guy. I'm 5'9" and 135 lbs but have shot 1911's and 357's since I was 13. I never even touched a polymer pistol until I was 25 and I didn't enjoy that experience very much, it was a Ruger P85 in 45ACP and holy hell the recoil difference is night and day. Right now I carry a Taurus PT1911 in 45 ACP. I got it for 300 used and just got it for a beater pistol but it has actually been pretty rugged and reliable, it's got some rust and almost no finish left on it. Despite the weathered look it's taken some ridiculous hot hand loads and I've replaced a ton of parts like my barrel bushing, seer spring, ambi thumb safety, recoil spring, and the slide stop spring and pins. The bushing is a pistol smiths bushing by Wilson Combat I didn't even have to sand it or nothing it slid right onto my barrel and was super tight but wouldn't bind up during operation, and I switched the 18 pound spring for a 20 pound and it seems to work better with the heavier spring...I love the 1911 and I don't mind the limited capacity on mags I carry two ten rounders as backups and I'd gladly trade off the capacity of a poly pistol for the adjustable trigger on a 1911 any day of the week.

I have carried a full size GI Model for nearly two decades now, and I have to say I'd pick one of the many 1911's I've owned or still own over a striker fired pistol for two main reasons. 1.I just can't believe the difference in recoil a polymer 9mm or 45ACP has when compared to a heavy framed 1911 45ACP and 2.Though some 1911's can be finicky about certain ammo types, just about everybody makes a SD round that will feed well while others refuse to. (In my case with my current, I can't shoot speer gold dots or sign v-crowns) I usually handload some Hornady XTP 230 grain HP's over some CFE pistol for snappy SD loads or some Longshot if I want something not as stout. I also love accurate No.2 it's a great powder to get the cannonballs flying. To me there isn't a gun that can be more safe to carry, I carry appendix carry in a leather IWB holster most of the time, in the winter time like now I usually carry in a shoulder holster so I don't need to remove my gun to sit down comfortably, plus I like a vertical shoulder holster over a horizontal one for ease of concealment, I'm not a thick tall guy. I'm 5'9" and 135 lbs but have shot 1911's and 357's since I was 13. I never even touched a polymer pistol until I was 25 and I didn't enjoy that experience very much, it was a Ruger P85 in 45ACP and holy hell the recoil difference is night and day. Right now I carry a Taurus PT1911 in 45 ACP. I got it for 300 used and just got it for a beater pistol but it has actually been pretty rugged and reliable, it's got some rust and almost no finish left on it. Despite the weathered look it's taken some ridiculous hot hand loads and I've replaced a ton of parts like my barrel bushing, seer spring, ambi thumb safety, recoil spring, and the slide stop spring and pins. The bushing is a pistol smiths bushing by Wilson Combat I didn't even have to sand it or nothing it slid right onto my barrel and was super tight but wouldn't bind up during operation, and I switched the 18 pound spring for a 20 pound and it seems to work better with the heavier spring...I love the 1911 and I don't mind the limited capacity on mags I carry two ten rounders as backups and I'd gladly trade off the capacity of a poly pistol for the adjustable trigger on a 1911 any day of the week.
Awesome post!

Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire!

…glad to c another.45 / 1911 fan on board :)

Back