testtest

Is the 1911 Dangerous to Carry?

I wouldn’t be concerned about the safety of a 1911, more about the capacity and weight.

And interesting that some of the same folks who tell us how unsafe carrying a pistol with a manual safety is (because I might freak out and forgot about it, and in the split second that it takes for my thumb to sweep it off…a bad guy might decapitate me) also swear by the 1911 because it has multiple safeties, including a thumb safety.

If you train with a manual thumb safety, and know it’s there, it’s part of the motion when you draw to disable it…whether on a 1911 or any other pistol. 👍

Last edited:
When you hear a report of a police officer having a negligent discharge with his/her weapon, if you can get a bet down that a Glock was involved, you will win a LOT more money than you will pay out.
In fairness though, that’s probably more because the largest percentage of cops carry Glocks as their duty weapon, and cops handle their loaded weapon more than anyone else.

Bottom line…no matter how safe you think you are, you’re human, and humans make mistakes. Personally, I like having a manual safety to prevent unintended trigger pulls and discharges. I know that no matter how much I think “my finger is my safety”…the people who’ve had ND’s also thought that…before their weapon discharged in an unintended manner.

When you hear a report of a police officer having a negligent discharge with his/her weapon, if you can get a bet down that a Glock was involved, you will win a LOT more money than you will pay out.
Disagree here on this, you will find more negligent discharge issues with the Sig P320 then any other polymer gun right now.

1911 Kimber Micro nine, no grip safety, chambered
round, cocked, safety on.......when I stepped out of
the car one time it somehow fell from my pocket !
Rattled around on the blacktop..............

No discharge.

I'm more comfortable carrying hammer back/safety on
with a 1911 than them no safety split trigger things...............

PS. Read somewhere a few years ago that in a trial
of persons not familiar with firearms, all the
candidates had to do on the Glock type platform
was to pull the trigger (which most of them did
first) and she went BANG! On the 1911 style, it
took some time for them to figure out how to
"turn the thing on". That space of time could
save a life by allowing exit from the area or
accessing a back up..............just me...........

I think a 1911, particularly something like a Series 80 with a firing pin block safety is one of the safest guns one can carry.
But having carried a full frame one for quite a while back in the 80’s & 90’s, their weight is generally a PITA.

For that reason, it was more dangerous than a lighter gun, when it sat at home properly secured at not doing its job because of inconvenience.

My only issue with the 1911 is preparing to store it, lowering the hammer from cocked and locked is a bit of a dexterity issue.
I've practiced until I can do it one-handed...with either hand. And with either a spur or Commander rowel hammer.

No, I don't do it routinely with a loaded gun. It's more of an "amaze your friends" trick. ;):LOL:

And I've heard of more NDs with Glocks and other striker-fired, safety-on-the-trigger (what a stupid idea!) handguns than I've ever heard of with 1911s, by a factor of about 10 to 1.

Last edited:
NO !!
Certainly safer then a striker fired pistol with no manual safety except in the trigger!!! There are a significant number of people including LEO’s who have shot themselves in the leg while
re-holstering a striker fired pistol ..
Respectfully
JoeD

It doesn't matter which platform you carry, if you don't know what you are doing and don't follow the rules it will be unsafe.
Exactly. Firearms are inherently dangerous and any of them in the hands of those that don’t follow the rules will end up in tragedy. The recent post about showing off in front of friends had my blood boiling, the other is mixing firearms and alcohol, guns are not toys. Respect them and stay safe.

NO !!
Certainly safer then a striker fired pistol with no manual safety except in the trigger!!! There are a significant number of people including LEO’s who have shot themselves in the leg while
re-holstering a striker fired pistol ..
Respectfully
JoeD
While I agree the 1911 is not dangerous to carry unless you're an idiot, as an owner of both safetyless strikers and 1911s I vehemently disagree with your characterization of striker guns with no manual safety as " Less safe" than 1911s. The common denominator in AD/ND with either weapon is an idiot who put his/her finger on the trigger when it wasn't safe and/or necessary to do so.

And LEO sure as hell isn't synonymous with " Not an idiot". ANYONE who shoots themselves in the leg while re-holstering is an idiot. Period.

I'll weigh in here........again........I'd say that the 1911 is inherently a tad more "safe" than other types of handguns. A child is not an idiot; if one picks up a handgun and does as a child will - put their finger on the trigger and pull.....and it's a splitter trigger.......guess what?
They pick up a 1911 and there are a couple more things to do before she goes BANG!; the manual safety must be moved to a firing position as well as the "grip" safety, which is not a given as they may have a proper grip or not. More safe than a "split trigger thingy" which in reality, is no safety at all, except it meets the ATF requirements for a "safety".

Then, in the rare cases where a firearm is attempted/"taken away" in a scuffle, the person may or may not be familiar with and have the presence of mind to operate the manual safety and proper grip for the grip safety for a 1911 to say BANG! (into your body perhaps). A discharge in a struggle to take away a firearm is certainly higher with others than a 1911.

Then there is the "other article" in the pocket issue; (please remind me "nobody does that!) whereby in a scuffle or even "normal" activity there is the possibility of discharge with the "no safety" models whereas with a 1911, even with a pocket full of keys, no discharge is possible.

As for re-holstering: 1911 with manual safety on; no discharge, even if (I know this is stupid but it's an example and sure as heck someone has done it) your finger is pulling the trigger. Split trigger thingy; anything gets in the way, a slip, mishandle, and there is a possibility of a discharge.

Now let me hear you howl.............

I'll weigh in here........again........I'd say that the 1911 is inherently a tad more "safe" than other types of handguns. A child is not an idiot; if one picks up a handgun and does as a child will - put their finger on the trigger and pull.....and it's a splitter trigger.......guess what?
They pick up a 1911 and there are a couple more things to do before she goes BANG!; the manual safety must be moved to a firing position as well as the "grip" safety, which is not a given as they may have a proper grip or not. More safe than a "split trigger thingy" which in reality, is no safety at all, except it meets the ATF requirements for a "safety".

Then, in the rare cases where a firearm is attempted/"taken away" in a scuffle, the person may or may not be familiar with and have the presence of mind to operate the manual safety and proper grip for the grip safety for a 1911 to say BANG! (into your body perhaps). A discharge in a struggle to take away a firearm is certainly higher with others than a 1911.

Then there is the "other article" in the pocket issue; (please remind me "nobody does that!) whereby in a scuffle or even "normal" activity there is the possibility of discharge with the "no safety" models whereas with a 1911, even with a pocket full of keys, no discharge is possible.

As for re-holstering: 1911 with manual safety on; no discharge, even if (I know this is stupid but it's an example and sure as heck someone has done it) your finger is pulling the trigger. Split trigger thingy; anything gets in the way, a slip, mishandle, and there is a possibility of a discharge.

Now let me hear you howl.............
You let a child have access to your firearm, you're an idiot. You accidentally fire a firearm, you're an idiot. Period.

You let a child have access to your firearm, you're an idiot. You accidentally fire a firearm, you're an idiot. Period.
Agreed.
Anyone involved in a conversation about gun safety and starts an argument with
“if a child picks up a gun” immediately has there argument dismissed.
There is no reason whatsoever that a (child) should be able to gain access to a firearm!!! Period!!! Gun owners that leave their firearms out and accessible to children shouldn’t own guns.
Howl at that!!!

Back