testtest

Is the .357 Magnum the Best Option for Personal Defense?

Good read on if the .357 magnum is the best option for personal defense. I guess it just depends if you carrying a revolver or prefer a semiautomatic, but .357 is a great round regardless for personal defense.

is-the-357-magnum-the-best-option-for-personal-defense
Thanks for posting article Anni, is good short and descriptive for what's stated.
There's some similarities between the .357mag and .327fed mag. and more than one. Am glad article briefly pointed that out. Although the .327fed mag's lesser known or available at times than .357mag, both are good base rounds and offer good substitution of caliber varieties for different purposes and reasons. Sometimes, it's a balancing act with whatever available ammo calibers too. Both .357mag and it's offspring .38's are finally becoming more available. Same with .327fed mag and it's shootable offspring calibers. Sadly, much ammo availability is still limited, but all calibers are available in various locations.

Thanks for posting article Anni, is good short and descriptive for what's stated.
There's some similarities between the .357mag and .327fed mag. and more than one. Am glad article briefly pointed that out. Although the .327fed mag's lesser known or available at times than .357mag, both are good base rounds and offer good substitution of caliber varieties for different purposes and reasons. Sometimes, it's a balancing act with whatever available ammo calibers too. Both .357mag and it's offspring .38's are finally becoming more available. Same with .327fed mag and it's shootable offspring calibers. Sadly, much ammo availability is still limited, but all calibers are available in various locations.

Looking for .327 Fed. Mag. ammo?
MidwayUSA has some .327 Fed. Mag. ammo in stock, limit 3.
Out of many brands, but a few brands are available. Isn't cheap when adding in S&H.

I don't like the simplistic view that any one cartridge is "THE BEST."
Defense against how many of what? Grizzer bears? Street thugs? Rampaging pack of feral dogs?
If I HAD to pick one gun for all matters of defense, I'm afraid it would be a high capacity 12 gauge and a laundry bag full of double ought and slugs.

Great "stopping power" but I'm not wild about the hideous muzzle blast. I'm happier with .38+P, happier yet with .45ACP.
I was at the range last week shooting my .357 Mag, I shoot .38Special for most of my range time but always shoot some .357 and yes, there is definitely more "muzzle blast". A couple guys shooting 9mm stopped when I was shooting the .357 rounds, after asked what type of fire breathing dragon I was shooting when they seen the "muzzle blast".......had to laugh and they were amazed I was even shooting a revolver.......gotta love heavy metal wheel guns still!!!!

I was at the range last week shooting my .357 Mag, I shoot .38Special for most of my range time but always shoot some .357 and yes, there is definitely more "muzzle blast". A couple guys shooting 9mm stopped when I was shooting the .357 rounds, after asked what type of fire breathing dragon I was shooting when they seen the "muzzle blast".......had to laugh and they were amazed I was even shooting a revolver.......gotta love heavy metal wheel guns still!!!!
Guess I never really thought it was that bad. I guess it's all perspective. For the past 25 years I shot a 4.5 inch Redhawk 44 magnum, that was loud and a fire breather lol. Made my 357s look tame.

First time I shot that over to my dad's outdoor range I touched it off and a car on the road almost went in the ditch.

Like many other posters, I think .357 MAG is a great option for personal defense, but it definitely isn't the best for many shooters. I can see 9mm, .45 acp, .380 acp, .327 Federal and even .22 WMR all being the "best" option for certain shooters. There are simply too many factors, from recoil sensitivity to your wardrobe limiting what you can comfortably conceal, for any one caliber to be the best for everyone. Luckily, we have many competent calibers to choose from.

Back