testtest

Is The .357 Magnum the Most Versatile Revolver Caliber of All Time

My one and only trip to Yellowstone saw a .357 mag. along with 180 Gr. FMJ make the trip with me. We were sleeping in tents and I figured if a big old grizz. decided I looked like a nice snack , as a last resort I would put one or two of those 180 grainers up his snout.

Good read on if the .357 magnum is the most versatile revolver caliber of all time, it’s one of my favorite rounds, it can do most anything.

I've had at least one sense 1976.Mostly mod.19's or 66's.Like Taurus and Ruger also.

While I agree that .357 mag is the most useful and most popular caliber, I'd have to say that .327 Federal Magnum is the most versatile. .357 mag firearms can generally accept .357 & .38 Special loads. Guns chambered in .327 Fed. Mag can often run .327 Fed. Mag., .327 H&R Mag., .32 ACP, .32 Long and .32 Short. You can find .327 Mag in revolvers and Henry lever-actions.

It seems really awkward, but my source for declaring .327 Fed. Mag to be the most versatile cartridge is a 2018 article in the same magazine, by the same author. Since I'm pretty sure .357 Mag. existed in 2018, I may have to shoot Mr. Mann an e-mail asking him what changed.

While I agree that .357 mag is the most useful and most popular caliber, I'd have to say that .327 Federal Magnum is the most versatile. .357 mag firearms can generally accept .357 & .38 Special loads. Guns chambered in .327 Fed. Mag can often run .327 Fed. Mag., .327 H&R Mag., .32 ACP, .32 Long and .32 Short. You can find .327 Mag in revolvers and Henry lever-actions.

It seems really awkward, but my source for declaring .327 Fed. Mag to be the most versatile cartridge is a 2018 article in the same magazine, by the same author. Since I'm pretty sure .357 Mag. existed in 2018, I may have to shoot Mr. Mann an e-mail asking him what changed.

You can also shoot .38 S&W (predecessor of .38 Special) and .38-44 Heavy Duty (an intermediate between .38spl and .357mag...basically a .38spl+P++) out of a .357 magnum...

Seems that author forgot that. ;)

Note, @wmg1299 , that I’m not banging on the .327; I think it's a neat cartridge, and I kinda regret not picking up a birdshead Vaquero chambered in it when I had a chance a little while back...and a .327 SP101 (3”, preferably) is on “The List” (admittedly, not high on it, but it's on it). I've got a soft spot for .32’s, and it's one of the examples I don’t have (yes, I’ve got a .32 Short...an old Iver Johnson top break—and a H&R in .32 H&R).

But...it's just not a common caliber on shelves; it's got to be a fairly well-stocked gun shop to have it...and .32 S, L, and H&R are even more uncommon—even rare—in my experience, in this area. Definitely nowhere near as ubiquitous as .38spl and/or .357 Mag (present circumstances excepted, I don’t think I’ve ever been in a gun store that didn’t have at least one of those two, usually both, and several varieties at that).

Note, @wmg1299 , that I’m not banging on the .327; I think it's a neat cartridge, and I kinda regret not picking up a birdshead Vaquero chambered in it when I had a chance a little while back...and a .327 SP101 (3”, preferably) is on “The List” (admittedly, not high on it, but it's on it). I've got a soft spot for .32’s, and it's one of the examples I don’t have (yes, I’ve got a .32 Short...an old Iver Johnson top break—and a H&R in .32 H&R).

But...it's just not a common caliber on shelves; it's got to be a fairly well-stocked gun shop to have it...and .32 S, L, and H&R are even more uncommon—even rare—in my experience, in this area. Definitely nowhere near as ubiquitous as .38spl and/or .357 Mag (present circumstances excepted, I don’t think I’ve ever been in a gun store that didn’t have at least one of those two, usually both, and several varieties at that).
I fully agree with all of your points. If the article were titled, "The .357 is the Best Choice for a Revolver Cartridge", then I would think the author was spot-on. .357 is a superior cartridge in every way (price, performance, availability, etc.), with the possible exception of the .327 mag. revolvers' ability to hold six rounds in cylinders that only hold 5 rounds of .357 mag.

I just consider "versatility" to refer to the ability to be adapted to many functions and allow for many options. I think of the .327 being versatile the same way I think that Swiss Army knives are versatile. I don't consider the Swiss Army knife to be the best knife ever made, and it is certainly not the most practical tool for most tasks, but it is more versatile than most other pocket knives. I generally consider versatility to be only one aspect of a product's value, and rarely use it as the deciding factor when making a purchase.

With just two revolvers and a lever action rifle chambered in .357 Magnum, I have just about everything covered, from concealed carry to hunting most critters. Firing anything from lazy .38 Special pills to .357 Mag rockets that give a .30-30 a run for its money, that spells v.e.r.s.a.t.i.l.e. to me.

20OyyOZl.jpg

O7FcHkSl.jpg

QsvK4eBl.jpg

.357 Magmun on top & 44 Magnum on bottom

Back