testtest

Is the EMP 1911 a Compromised Design?

I own a SA EMP4 CC in 9mm. It is one of my favorite ccw pistols. I am a huge fan of the 1911 platform, that being said I have found the EMP4 with the carry countour both comfortable to carry and great at finding target acquisition rapidly. The trigger is a pleasure, and clean and crisp on the break. I don't spend a lot of time arguing round count, as I have always been one to carry at least 1 backup mag. I did purchase a hellcat pro just this Christmas, and appreciate the round count and rail accessory option(light, laser or both), and the light weight. If I truly worried about round count I would find a way to carry my XDm Elite 4.5... hard to beat 22 +1, but clearly not a realistic option. Personally the 1911 platform is just great in the hand feel, superb on felt recoil, magnificent triggers. I may switch to my hellcat when out at night for the attached light feature capability, but the EMP with contour carry will remain in my daily options

Why Can’t We All Just Get Along?​

Well...if grandma had balls...she would be grandpa.

Just how it is Bub.

As far as 1911?

Archaic design, low firepower and heavy. If you like it, carry it. Makes no difference to me. The gun in question looks very nice, but it is not for me. If I wanted a 1911 9mm, I'd most likely go with the Ronin 9mm. But I don't care about cool...I care about firepower and taking out the enemy when that time comes. I also don't like carrying cocked and locked. Striker pistol you just pull the trigger and boom.

One thing is for sure...settle on a design, don't mix and match CCW. In other words, don't carry cocked and locked 1911 one day and carry striker the next. Pick one and settle on it.

Last edited:
I have one of the EMP4 early versions, not the Ronin. At first it had trouble feeding any defensive ammo, but after a trip back to SA for correction it hasn't missed a lick. I prefer the early version due to the Ambi safety since I'm left handed. As far as shooting I love it, it will run circles around my SA-35. That is until I can put a better front sight on the SA-35. For EDC it is not the best for me so I'll stick with my Performance Center Shield Plus.

Like code my early EMP had feed troubles and in addition it would lock up shooting Sig 9 mm ammo. Theo trips back to the factory failed to fix the problem, they instead told to me use lighter ammo. I like the pistol but it is too unreliable for a cc’d.

I’ll take you on on this 1911, and your opinions. I owned an original 9mm, 3”, EMP. It was the snappiest gun I owned. When I first took it to the range, I was expecting a nice easy shooting, small 1911. What I got was a snappy little critter, way more recoil than my .45 acp 1911s, or my .40 cal Glocks.
I really like the 1911 form, so I next bought a Kimber Ultra CDP II, .45 acp of course. These two firearms are as close to identical as possible. The Kimber is actually about 1/2 ounce lighter, attributable I assume, to the larger hole in the barrel. The Kimber has a nice, soft recoil, nothing like the sharp kick of the EMP.
Both guns were flawless in operation, never failing to put a hole in the target when I shot them correctly.
I sold the EMP, and don’t own any 9s, but I have plenty of .45 1911s, just as JMB intended.

I think the following quote is very telling. “Is it just me, or does it seem like folks are a bit more acrimonious these days than might once have been the case? Problems that previously could have been settled via civil discourse now unfortunately seem to be adjudicated by means of anarchy and street violence. Is compromise a failed concept these days?” I believe the initial question, “Is the EMP 1911 a Compromised Design?” But what in the world does the information in that quote have to do with the design of the handgun? I purchased a Ronin six months ago, my only complaint is the finicky magazines supplied. Once that was sorted functionality is sublime. I should add, I have several 1911’s including Colt, Remington and Kimber. All have their quirks, nothing game changing. So either I’ve been shooting/living in a vacuum as I never witnessed, or overheard ”raging debates“ or even heated conversation about firearms. In fact, I tend to enjoy the sometimes “good natured“ ribbing at my range and my local firearm retailer. Times have changed, but trying to use a fractured political system to suggest that “compromise“ is now a failed concept. Is disingenuous, at best. Just my humble opinion…

The gun is gorgeous. I want one, but alas, do to my really advanced age and macular degermation, I am relegated to carry an ugly black plastic hybrid with a red dot sight. I still have my super customized 1911 in .38 Super though and consider that to be the best round ever, but it does have to be loaded up to IPSC major in order to get there. Do not do that with a stock barrel.

As I have an original version EMP, 3.3" 9mm, I'm curious how the Ronin was designed from the ground up and not just a tweaked version??
Love mine, reliable and accurate. Had quite a few jams at first, but after about 200 rounds break in and good cleaning it has never had a hic-up. Could use better sights (I'm 73)
Also in love with the slightly smaller version (85%) 1911 by Browning.. Black Label.. in 380. Highly recommended if you have slightly smaller hands and have trouble with large grips. Just as accurate and reliable

I have one of the original MicroCompacts in a 3", .45. I had feeding problems that went away after a trip to the shop at Springfield. It runs like a sewing machine now.

The debate over cartridge or firearm suitability is just personal preference and personal capability. There is no place for "mine is better than your's" or "I'm right and you're wrong" amongst us. That's "ego" talking. How about we all get more tolerant and cooperative and agree that we see and use things differently. If we're going to argue about something with passion, let's save the heat for the anti-2nd amendment crowd... and do it together!

End of rant...

Nice article on an excellent tool. I have a 'pre-Ronin' 4". I love the gun, don't care about the discussion of caliber, carry position or 1911 vs. world. Use what you prefer. But I have to agree with Quadrophenia, that a dust rail for an accessory is all the gun is missing. I also carry in a critical care environment and think the gun performs well enough to bet my life on it. I have well over 2000 training rounds through my current gun and aside from personal preferences in sights and grips - I don't have any gripes. Just wish is had that accessory rail,....

I’ll take you on on this 1911, and your opinions. I owned an original 9mm, 3”, EMP. It was the snappiest gun I owned. When I first took it to the range, I was expecting a nice easy shooting, small 1911. What I got was a snappy little critter, way more recoil than my .45 acp 1911s, or my .40 cal Glocks.
I really like the 1911 form, so I next bought a Kimber Ultra CDP II, .45 acp of course. These two firearms are as close to identical as possible. The Kimber is actually about 1/2 ounce lighter, attributable I assume, to the larger hole in the barrel. The Kimber has a nice, soft recoil, nothing like the sharp kick of the EMP.
Both guns were flawless in operation, never failing to put a hole in the target when I shot them correctly.
I sold the EMP, and don’t own any 9s, but I have plenty of .45 1911s, just as JMB intended.
I alternate between 1911's (Sig Ultra Compact and Colt Gov't) and Browning HP. The Gov't and HP are used with a shoulder holster, and the Ultra goes on the belt.

I have the same Ronin EMP but in the 3" version. Great little pistol, lightweight and conceals well. From the factory the chamber seemed a little tight and not able to feed everything. I took it to a competent gunsmith who reamed the chamber and now it is 100% awesome. I found it to be 100% reliable now. Great gun for summer carry when you need something a little smaller.

My 4" EMP Ronin is one of my favorite EDC guns. I added a thicker LOK custom grip to help fill my hand up. The gun has been super reliable & quite accurate as well! SA has done a good job with designing this line more around the 9MM cartridge.

I have an EMP 3". What brand of holster is that in the EDC picture? I had a hard time finding a holster I like for it.
Looks very similar to a SuperTuck CrossBreed holster:

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/supertuck-iwb-holster.html

S/A also did an article on EMP holsters:

https://www.thearmorylife.com/springfield-emp-1911-holster-round-up/

Love the two different Mitch Rosen IWBs (Clipper & Uncle Sal's Decision II SF) for my REMP3 & EMP3:

https://mitchrosen.com/

Back