testtest

Is using WD-40 to Clean Your Gun a Good Ideal?

At one point in my working life I ran a company that produced and distributed WD-40. Customers used this product for every thing imaginable including rubbing it on their aching knees! So there are a lot of ideas on how and when to use the product. I suggest that you follow the directions on the can!

At one point in my working life I ran a company that produced and distributed WD-40. Customers used this product for every thing imaginable including rubbing it on their aching knees! So there are a lot of ideas on how and when to use the product. I suggest that you follow the directions on the can!
Ohhh, my fingers hurt, do you think it would help?

I use WD-40 for many things, but not on my firearms. I trust xdman if he says it has certain specific uses, but I'm pretty sure that he does much more detailed work than I do. The only product I have ever used which is not recommended for firearms is brake cleaner, but that is only in very limited situations where I am making a last-ditch effort to restore a gun that has been neglected for years or even decades.

At my job, we use WD-40 as a solvent, to loosen up painted on bolt threads to make removing the nut much easier. If the nut is rusted on, we use penetrating oil. I would only use a solvent on my firearms for a very specific reason, and then get that solvent off as soon as possible, and re-lube the gun.

In most of my hunting years, I always kept a rag dampened with WD40 inside a zip-lock plastic bag in my hunting gear. If ever I was caught out in the rain, especially a heavy rain and my guns got soaked, I would use that rag and wipe them down all over. Then I'd let them soak 'so to speak', usually during supper. After supper I'd wipe them down good and dry, and then wipe them all over with an oil dampened rag.

I was always careful though to not get the WD40 anywhere near the lenses or knobs of any of my scopes. WD40 after all is water displacement/penetrating fluid and has been known to actually soak into and around the lenses and adjusting knobs into the inside of the scope.

Far as I can tell it's never caused any damage to any of my hunting guns doing it that way ....... and don't know that I've ever had a problem with and rust. Matter of fact, while I sit here typing this I'm pretty sure there's a couple rags in zip-lock bags right now in my gun safe. One is dampened with gun oil, the other with WD40.

Just something to ponder on y'all !!! (y) (y) (y)

Back