testtest

Is Your Carbine’s Zero Wrong?

I initially zeroed my Saint at 25 yards, but after reading this article decided to switch my zeroe to 36 yards instead, for no other reason than I could.

I went out this past weekend to Wilshire Gun Club in OKC and the results were exactly as described in the article at 100 yards. I was surprised to see a 4" group at 100, because the front sight post was getting more blurry with each shot. By the time I was finished, the front sight was blurred out. I ordered a SIG Romeo-MSR to fix that issue. The new sight came co-witnessed with my iron sights right out of the box.

I initially zeroed my Saint at 25 yards, but after reading this article decided to switch my zeroe to 36 yards instead, for no other reason than I could.

I went out this past weekend to Wilshire Gun Club in OKC and the results were exactly as described in the article at 100 yards. I was surprised to see a 4" group at 100, because the front sight post was getting more blurry with each shot. By the time I was finished, the front sight was blurred out. I ordered a SIG Romeo-MSR to fix that issue. The new sight came co-witnessed with my iron sights right out of the box.
I had a couple Romeo 5s that came already zero'ed at 50.

Great arricle and the best diagrams I have viewed on many, many websites. Firsr, no matter what zero you chose, impact must be verified at all distances. Rifles have different barrel lengths, brakes, supressors etc. Bullets have different ballisfic coefficients and weights. What matters is where YOUR bullet will impact at each distance and you know those impacts under stress. I chose the 100:yard zero as my ar15’s a defense weapons in a city and will be used at shorter distances. A 100 zero gives me 2.5 low from the barrel, 1.7 at 25 yds, 0.7 at 50 yds, on at 100, 2.5 low at 200. There are no high impacts above the 100yd zero. Any adjustments for short or longer distances are holds higher than 100 yd zero but a maximum of 2.5 inches for short or longer shots. How many AR15 owners actually practice routinely at 300 yds. I looked it up but can’t find data. It would be an interesting survey. If you are sacrificing groupings to accomodate 300 yds in your zero, think about it. And when the wolf knocks at the door, your heart rate is 150, you can’t focus or swallow, will you remember if your bullet will be high or low when you can’t judge a distance. Occam’s razor states that the simplest explanation is preferable to one more complex.

Great arricle and the best diagrams I have viewed on many, many websites. Firsr, no matter what zero you chose, impact must be verified at all distances. Rifles have different barrel lengths, brakes, supressors etc. Bullets have different ballisfic coefficients and weights. What matters is where YOUR bullet will impact at each distance and you know those impacts under stress. I chose the 100:yard zero as my ar15’s a defense weapons in a city and will be used at shorter distances. A 100 zero gives me 2.5 low from the barrel, 1.7 at 25 yds, 0.7 at 50 yds, on at 100, 2.5 low at 200. There are no high impacts above the 100yd zero. Any adjustments for short or longer distances are holds higher than 100 yd zero but a maximum of 2.5 inches for short or longer shots. How many AR15 owners actually practice routinely at 300 yds. I looked it up but can’t find data. It would be an interesting survey. If you are sacrificing groupings to accomodate 300 yds in your zero, think about it. And when the wolf knocks at the door, your heart rate is 150, you can’t focus or swallow, will you remember if your bullet will be high or low when you can’t judge a distance. Occam’s razor states that the simplest explanation is preferable to one more complex.
At that short of a distance, it’s not going to matter.

Sight height over bore determines short range impact. Whether you choose a 25, 36,50 or 100 yd zero, the bullet begins about 2.5 inches low on the AR platform. Most of us never shoot at 300 yards and never would shoot at that distance in defense.The courts would incarcerate you claiming self defense at 300 yds. The 100 yard zero just tightens the spread at shorter distances most will shoot. If Iived in Colorado I may choose a defferent zero. The 100 zero fits me here and that is what a zero is all about.

Sight height over bore determines short range impact. Whether you choose a 25, 36,50 or 100 yd zero, the bullet begins about 2.5 inches low on the AR platform. Most of us never shoot at 300 yards and never would shoot at that distance in defense.The courts would incarcerate you claiming self defense at 300 yds. The 100 yard zero just tightens the spread at shorter distances most will shoot. If Iived in Colorado I may choose a defferent zero. The 100 zero fits me here and that is what a zero is all about.
If someone was shooting at you from 300 yards away, you wouldn’t be justified in defending yourself?

And it wouldn’t matter, because sun center mass, and that round will hit in the torso.

I have found these targets useful for getting an AR zeroed quickly

I’ve always found zero at 100 yards.
It’s what works for me. This was my Savage AR10 .308 at 100 yards the last time I went shooting. View attachment 11186
5 shots.
I'm of the mindset a .308 should be zeroed at 100, however my .223's are all sighted at 50 My eyesight and the optics on my .223 won't let me be accurate at 350 yards. If I'm shooting that far I want the punch of the 308.

I'm of the mindset a .308 should be zeroed at 100, however my .223's are all sighted at 50 My eyesight and the optics on my .223 won't let me be accurate at 350 yards. If I'm shooting that far I want the punch of the 308.
I shoot 250 with a .223 Wylde. I have a Bushnell Elite 6500 on it though.

For my carbine 14.5 barrel, 55 grain, iron sights I just follow the military TM that came with it and the procedure I've been using for 50 years. I'm simply interested in hitting COM out to 300 and that's pretty much it for me. In a previous life, qualified expert or sharpshooter so no reason to change now. BTW, the TM I have is good for models through M16A4s.

I BZO my 5.56 ARs at 25 yards/meters, just like when I was on active duty. I did that with my patrol rifle when I wore a badge.
I've never had an issue with it as my baseline for iron sights.
Optics, namely the ACOG, I zero as the instruction manual calls for, 100 yard zero and the BDC takes care of the rest.
I say to each, his own. I use what I know works.

I BZO my 5.56 ARs at 25 yards/meters, just like when I was on active duty. I did that with my patrol rifle when I wore a badge.
I've never had an issue with it as my baseline for iron sights.
Optics, namely the ACOG, I zero as the instruction manual calls for, 100 yard zero and the BDC takes care of the rest.
I say to each, his own. I use what I know works.
Agree. I always went with iron sights until my age and eyesight caught up with me. I recently got a LPVO for my 20 inch HBAR and I just followed the manual and zeroed with 62 grain at 100 yards.

Great article. I zero at 100 and it has served me well on both of my rifles.

Maybe I missed it but is this shown in inches instead of a point on a target. BTW, my rifle is sighted in at 40 yds. Likely close enough given abilities/eyesight.

Back